Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #4,757 of 6,595

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Posts
1,371
Likes
249
Just thought I'd throw it out here (not the HD 800 :), that I'm currently listening to Five Peace Band (astonishing jazz/fusion from five masterful musicians) and it's hands down the most incredible listening experience this HD 800 has yet provided/is providing - Nirvana is here. 
biggrin.gif

 
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #4,758 of 6,595

Audio-Omega

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Posts
3,114
Likes
21
Location
Australia
I used to have Ray Samuels Protector portable amplifier driving HD800 in balanced mode.  It sounded good, every instrument was distinctive and there was clarity as well as a big sound stage.  The most expensive part was buying balanced cable and connector.  
 
Jun 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #4,759 of 6,595

carledwards

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 16, 2009
Posts
387
Likes
14
Quote:
Just thought I'd throw it out here (not the HD 800 :), that I'm currently listening to Five Peace Band (astonishing jazz/fusion from five masterful musicians) and it's hands down the most incredible listening experience this HD 800 has yet provided/is providing - Nirvana is here. 
biggrin.gif

 
Great album, no doubt!
 
Jun 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4,760 of 6,595

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Posts
1,371
Likes
249
Quote:
 
Great album, no doubt!

 
I highly recommend it. I'm listening to it again now. I purchased it from iTunes and it's only in 256 kbps but it sounds great; I'm currently mesmerized by the performance.
 
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #4,761 of 6,595

dallan

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Posts
7,040
Likes
116
Quote:
I used to have Ray Samuels Protector portable amplifier driving HD800 in balanced mode.  It sounded good, every instrument was distinctive and there was clarity as well as a big sound stage.  The most expensive part was buying balanced cable and connector.  

Well, if you say so.... but my Lisa lll is a monster, passes for a home amplifier, is really not portable but is transportable.....two batteries when not connected to the low noise power supply - the LLP-and even with the LLP in line, which doubles its output ability, i would say it only marginally drives the HD800s to it's potencial.  I have RSA Hornet which i think puts out the same as the protector but not balanced and i don't really think it drives them, nor does my full size Headamp Pico.  It sounds way better than directly out of the headphone output of an ipod but........
 
Guess it depends on your tolerance level.
cool.gif
  With a portable I normally think portables do better.  The Ed8 is my go to if i use a portable amp and want good sound quality, it is easy to drive and closed.  The 800s really need more to sound good....to me.
 
Jun 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #4,763 of 6,595

CEE TEE

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Posts
2,188
Likes
413
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:
Well, if you say so.... but my Lisa lll is a monster, passes for a home amplifier, is really not portable but is transportable.....two batteries when not connected to the low noise power supply - the LLP-and even with the LLP in line, which doubles its output ability, i would say it only marginally drives the HD800s to it's potencial.  I have RSA Hornet which i think puts out the same as the protector but not balanced and i don't really think it drives them, nor does my full size Headamp Pico.  It sounds way better than directly out of the headphone output of an ipod but........
 
Guess it depends on your tolerance level.
cool.gif
  With a portable I normally think portables do better.  The Ed8 is my go to if i use a portable amp and want good sound quality, it is easy to drive and closed.  The 800s really need more to sound good....to me.

I was SHOCKED at how much I liked the HD800's out of the TTVJ Portable Tube Hybrid amp.  So I bought it from the person I borrowed it from!
 
The amp takes the edge off but doesn't sound "rolled off".  Might not power the lowest bass with the most authority and has a high-pitched ring when moved around but a great pairing, I think.
 
Jun 27, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #4,764 of 6,595

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Posts
12,065
Likes
337
Quote:
I was SHOCKED at how much I liked the HD800's out of the TTVJ Portable Tube Hybrid amp.  So I bought it from the person I borrowed it from!
 
The amp takes the edge off but doesn't sound "rolled off".  Might not power the lowest bass with the most authority and has a high-pitched ring when moved around but a great pairing, I think.

 
The major problem I have with the tube portables is the soft imaging and lack of absolute resolving power w/ the finest details but the synergy is pleasant sounding if one can handle the trade-offs.  I know Mike at Headfonia has no trouble making that trade-off w/ his HD800 and other 'analytical' type phones.  You should hear the RX3.....
blink.gif

 
Jun 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #4,765 of 6,595

CEE TEE

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Posts
2,188
Likes
413
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:
The major problem I have with the tube portables is the soft imaging and lack of absolute resolving power w/ the finest details but the synergy is pleasant sounding if one can handle the trade-offs.  I know Mike at Headfonia has no trouble making that trade-off w/ his HD800 and other 'analytical' type phones.  You should hear the RX3.....
blink.gif

This is true- it is "pleasing" rather than showing it's resolving powers when using the TTVJ Tube Portable Hybrid.  
 
But I didn't think I was going to find <any> portable amps that I would enjoy the 800's with...will bring it to the SoCal meet and hope people tell me what they really think!
 
Jun 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #4,766 of 6,595

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Posts
1,607
Likes
23
It's not portable as in battery power, but the apex butte is a decent on the go compromise.  I toss it in my back back for the office every now and then.  It's on the lush side of SS, but by no means has a tube sound.
 
Jun 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #4,768 of 6,595

sphinxvc

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 28, 2010
Posts
3,469
Likes
107
Has anyone here spent any meaningful time with the SR-507 & HD800?  (Meaningful time excludes meets, whether large, mini or micro.)
 
Interested in how the transient response compares to the HD800.
 
Jun 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #4,769 of 6,595

Tilpo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 2, 2011
Posts
11,125
Likes
369
Has anyone here spent any meaningful time with the SR-507 & HD800?  (Meaningful time excludes meets, whether large, mini or micro.)

Interested in how the transient response compares to the HD800.

If it means anything, my experience with the SR-202 shows that transients is the one thing they can't do. Especially low pitched ones. For example, it has no bass thump (which is a low pitched transient tone), but for long bass tones extension is very deep. Additionally, short length percussion sounds lack impact.
The SR-202 is very similar to the SR-507 in design, so I presume it will present the same issue.

You should try asking the same question in the Stax thread.
 
Jun 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,770 of 6,595

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Posts
13,282
Likes
296
That's the nature of Electrostats in general, unfortunately. 
 
I might be able to report back on the HD800 vs 507 within a week or so. I'll be hearing an 009 in my home soon and I know Alex has a 507 I could probably get head time with as well.
 
Quote:
If it means anything, my experience with the SR-202 shows that transients is the one thing they can't do. Especially low pitched ones. For example, it has no bass thump (which is a low pitched transient tone), but for long bass tones extension is very deep. Additionally, short length percussion sounds lack impact.
The SR-202 is very similar to the SR-507 in design, so I presume it will present the same issue.
You should try asking the same question in the Stax thread.

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top