Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #4,727 of 6,607
Quote:
So I figured this would be the right place to put this. 

Yesterday in Dallas at a mini-meet we did an amp head to head with the HD800s. We had the new Bryston present and my LF.

DAC: Calyx 24/192 (LF = SE, Bryston = Balanced)
Source: MBP w/ Audirvana + (Playing mostly ALAC or AIFF. Some 24/96 as well)

We had Maxvla's pair (in that sexy all black), and mine. We decided to just run them side by side and go from one phone to the other. No cable swapping. Both in high gain mode. I'll just give a few notes on each first.
----
Bryston: So much power. On high gain in balanced mode you couldn't go past 9 o'clock without damaging your ears (vs about 11 on the LF). Razor sharp (in good and bad ways).

LF: Liquid is definitely the right word. I never realized how much of a 'tubey' sound the LF had until now (B22 was warmer than I thought after listening to the Bryston). A 'listeners' amp (as described by Maxvla).
----
Head to head I preferred the LF. The more musical and more laid back sound is really just what I needed for the HD800 to be my favorite headphone...but the Bryston was impressive. Listening to some track with great positional cues (BT's These Hopeful Machines) I came to the conclusion that while the LF has wider soundstage, the center image is slightly blurred compared to the Bryston. When something would 'sweep' the Bryston would get that center exactly while the LF would struggle a little to keep the ball rolling right on the line. Because of the wider soundstage I felt the LF overall had superior positioning, too. Detail was actually better on the Bryston (only slightly better at reasonable listening levels but at low levels the Bryston pulled away a little more). I wasn't too surprised by that one though. The kicker that I ran into was this though...I found the Bryston to be almost unlistenable with a few tracks. It gave the HD800s that sharp edge that I just can't handle having younger ears (which I do my best to take care of). The Bryston had a lot more 'air' to the sound, but in turn also sounded a little more thin.

Overall considering their price points the Bryston is impressive. It'd be my choice for a more 'critical' amp, but I felt the LF bested it in the ways that count for me, and the more laid back sound is exactly what the HD800 needs (IMO). It takes that sharp edge that I had never really heard before (having only used the HD800 out of the LF in my home) and just plunges into the music. 
----
Both Maxvla and I came out preferring our amps and we came to the conclusion that we'd both found what we were looking for in the HD800 + Our amps. He can handle the SS sound with the HD800, but I just couldn't get into it like I could the LF. Another member that also did some comparisons with the 2 came to the same conclusion I did (picking the LF over the Bryston), but the price difference is a bit daunting. 

Based on this review and only based on this review and not my ears.  It seems I would like the Bryston more.  

You know how you sometimes would say "I heard things in that track I never did before"  It seems like the Bryston would give you that - being a listeners amp or more of a critical amp.  My take on this review is that the LF is a little colored and the Bryston is giving you what you give to it.  Just my take, not saying that's what was said.

This is not fair because for the HD800 I just might prefer the LF.  However, with all the other headphones I have I think the Bryston would pair better.  I don't have as many bright sounding CANS to my ears.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #4,728 of 6,607
Based on this review and only based on this review and not my ears.  It seems I would like the Bryston more.  

You know how you sometimes would say "I heard things in that track I never did before"  It seems like the Bryston would give you that - being a listeners amp or more of a critical amp.  My take on this review is that the LF is a little colored and the Bryston is giving you what you give to it.  Just my take, not saying that's what was said.

This is not fair because for the HD800 I just might prefer the LF.  However, with all the other headphones I have I think the Bryston would pair better.  I don't have as many bright sounding CANS to my ears.

You need to realize that these are very small differences. Sound signature is the big difference but the things like staging and detail retrival are small differences.

The LCD 2 also pairs with it amazingly well though I didn't hear them on the Bryston.

Then again, different strokes and all. I've become a huge tube fan since going higher end here on Head-fi. I've always been drawn to a more 'musical' signature.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4,729 of 6,607
It was a good comparison, and as Morbid said, we came away preferring our own amps, which I guess is a good thing! I'm after a more critical 'show me what's there' type sound right now, and though the Bryston does get pretty close to harshness at times, it doesn't quite get there. The LF sounded great in it's own ways, but was not the direction I wanted to go.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #4,730 of 6,607
Quote:
You need to realize that these are very small differences. Sound signature is the big difference but the things like staging and detail retrival are small differences.
The LCD 2 also pairs with it amazingly well though I didn't hear them on the Bryston.
Then again, different strokes and all. I've become a huge tube fan since going higher end here on Head-fi. I've always been drawn to a more 'musical' signature.

Well I do plan on investing in a tube amp - Hopefully the LF Rev. 2.  However, we have to make shure we pair our.....  I don't want to say we.  I have to make shure I pair the right amp with the right "CAN".  For the HD800 the LF should be the better choice.  However,  I really like the LDCs and HiFIman's with SS amps.  They are really amazing with the GS-1 and B22.  Although the B22 is a little warmer / darker amp than the GS-1 but not as much as the tube amps I've heard.  

You said you never knew how much of a tubey sound the LF had.  I want to stay away from that type of sound.  I'm looking for more of a balance.  That's just me.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #4,731 of 6,607
Well I do plan on investing in a tube amp - Hopefully the LF Rev. 2.  However, we have to make shure we pair our.....  I don't want to say we.  I have to make shure I pair the right amp with the right "CAN".  For the HD800 the LF should be the better choice.  However,  I really like the LDCs and HiFIman's with SS amps.  They are really amazing with the GS-1 and B22.  Although the B22 is a little warmer / darker amp than the GS-1 but not as much as the tube amps I've heard.  

You said you never knew how much of a tubey sound the LF had.  I want to stay away from that type of sound.  I'm looking for more of a balance.  That's just me.

I guess I should clarify. Tubey when compared to the Bryston which is about as 'SS' an amp as I've ever heard. Compared to say a Leben or Woo amp the LF sounds much more balanced.

The line between 'balanced' and 'sterile' is pretty close and often unfortunately crossed. I think the LF is on the warm side of balanced but not way beyond like a full tube amp.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #4,732 of 6,607
Quote:
I guess I should clarify. Tubey when compared to the Bryston which is about as 'SS' an amp as I've ever heard. Compared to say a Leben or Woo amp the LF sounds much more balanced.
The line between 'balanced' and 'sterile' is pretty close and often unfortunately crossed. I think the LF is on the warm side of balanced but not way beyond like a full tube amp.

That's good to know..  That's what I'm looking for, after all it is a Hybrid.  I hope that sound sig will still be in the LF Rev. 2 if I'm fortunate enough to get one.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4,733 of 6,607
That's good to know..  That's what I'm looking for, after all it is a Hybrid.  I hope that sound sig will still be in the LF Rev. 2 if I'm fortunate enough to get one.

I don't see the sound changing. Alex really likes where the LF is (and he should). The Rev 2 sounds like some additional features rather than a sound change. With the Liquid Glass in the works I think that's where you'll get a new sound.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4,737 of 6,607
Hi guys - 

Interesting amp discussion over the past few pages.

What would you recommend as a great-sounding and preferably inexpensive amp (most probably solid-state) that would add some power and warmth and soften the sound of the HD 800 and be noticeably different than the sound straight out of the Lavry DA10? (as when I tried the Burson HA 160 with the Lavry the difference was miniscule)

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4,739 of 6,607
Quote:
Hi guys - 

What would you recommend as a great-sounding and preferably inexpensive amp (most probably solid-state) that would add some power and warmth and soften the sound of the HD 800 and be noticeably different than the sound straight out of the Lavry DA10? (as when I tried the Burson HA 160 with the Lavry the difference was miniscule)

I'm fond of DIY amps  or the like ie.. Gilmore, Headamp, Stuff by Alex.  With that said.  B22 or M3

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #4,740 of 6,607
Quote:
Hi guys - 

how about bottlehead crack? 

It's really soften every bright headphones (with high impedance) I ever tried with it. Unfortunetly it isn't a SS though.

Also I bet you can easily find the different sound sig between Crack and DA10's amp even in blind test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back