Sennheiser HD700 combined with a stack of Schiit Vali & Modi 2?
Jun 25, 2015 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MarcBSC

New Head-Fier
Good morning everyone,

It's nice to be here. I'm new in the audioworld (photographer myself).
Right now I'm making a shift from photography to cinematography and that's why my audio is getting important.

In the first place the setup must be kind of analytical that's why I'm looking for a Sennheiser HD700.
I wonder if it's recommended to use this headphone in combination with a Schiit Vali & Modi 2.
Does the Sennheiser keep his more analytical sound?

Additional information:
I like classical music in a wide range from chambermusic to orchestra and baroque to romantic.
I'm also playing first persoon shooters, but for me it isn't important to have the best quality here.

I've a custom build PC, no additional soundcard and a GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard.

My total budget for headphone/AMP/DAC is around 1500 euro.

Marc

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 11
See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HD700

...as well as other cans covered in the article.

For an analytical sound, stay away from cheap tube or hybrid amps like the Vali.  In general solid state is your best bet.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your reply.

For the headphone I'm looking for a analytical sound but not too unforgiving like an HD800.
Is the HD700 the right choice or would you recommend another? (It is quite hard to make a decision based on your link because I've no reference points) I'm using a Logitech G35 right now so I've absolutely no idea...

That is also the reason I choose for a relative cheap tube amp (they say that the Vali is worth your money)
Is it bad to use the Vali or just less analytical. I would love to listen to classical (acoustic) music as well.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 11
  Thanks for your reply.

For the headphone I'm looking for a analytical sound but not too unforgiving like an HD800.
Is the HD700 the right choice or would you recommend another? (It is quite hard to make a decision based on your link because I've no reference points) I'm using a Logitech G35 right now so I've absolutely no idea...

That is also the reason I choose for a relative cheap tube amp (they say that the Vali is worth your money)
Is it bad to use the Vali or just less analytical. I would love to listen to classical (acoustic) music as well.

I'm not sure how you can achieve an analytic can that is also forgiving.

What is the budget for your can?

The Vali is a cheap entry level hybrid amp.  It's good for what it is, but it is colored and not at all analytic.  Also you plan to pair it with the #2 can in the Senn line.  That might work, but it's also a bit a of a quality mismatch.

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 11
It isn't a matter of analytic ánd forgiving, but it must be a little analytic and not too unforgiving.
What I see in reviews is that the HD800 is very unforgiving, that is not what I want.

My total budget is 1500 euro, so maybe I've to step down with my can to an HD 650 or even HD600?
I can agree that it seems a mismatch :wink: In the case I choose an HD650 Which amp and dac would you recommend, to match the qualities?

Is an HDVA600 Sennheiser overkill or not?

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 11
  It isn't a matter of analytic ánd forgiving, but it must be a little analytic and not too unforgiving.
What I see in reviews is that the HD800 is very unforgiving, that is not what I want.

My total budget is 1500 euro, so maybe I've to step down with my can to an HD 650 or even HD600?
I can agree that it seems a mismatch :wink: In the case I choose an HD650 Which amp and dac would you recommend, to match the qualities?

Is an HDVA600 Sennheiser overkill or not?

You need to look at the excellent piece I linked to above.  Which one of those cans appeals to you and why?  I very much like the HD 650 and 600--more than the upline HD 700.  However, both of those cans are far from analytic in any guise.  I suggest that you take a close look at the neutral HiFiMan planners (the newest ones, like the HE 400i & 560 are not covered in the article).

Once you pick your cans, then you decide on an amp that pairs well with it.

I don't do my serious music listening from computer based files (except when on the go with a DAP), so others will probably have to help you with a DAC.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 11
I've seen that excellent guide :) Thanks for the link!

I think that I'm going to start with a HD650 (easy to get it cheap), but with an option to the Hifiman HE560 (thanks for the hint) if the HD650 isn't good enough I would upgrade to the HE560.
What should like about the HD650 is the bass and about the HE560 the detailed sound. Maybe the HD650 is good enough but I've no experience with headphones or soever...

My biggest problem now is that with adobe audition I can't hear it when I change settings, but my Logitech is old and bad... Maybe the HD650 will do the trick :wink:
And otherwise I've a good reference point to judge what is warmer, more detailed and so on.

So now is the question which amp/dac can drive both of these headphones...

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 11
Hmmm, personally I don't like the design of the EF-5 AMP, but maybe it is the best option

I've observed two setups, is there anyone who can recommend?

HE-560 with EF5 and JDS ODAC
HE-560 with Schiit Lyr 2 and Loki

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 11
  Hmmm, personally I don't like the design of the EF-5 AMP, but maybe it is the best option

I've observed two setups, is there anyone who can recommend?

HE-560 with EF5 and JDS ODAC
HE-560 with Schiit Lyr 2 and Loki

Can only speak about the cans and amps.  Both options are good choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back