Sennheiser HD6XX with ZMF Pendant SE - Incredible! Now I want tubes.
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tlite

Head-Fier
Per the title, I've got the tube amp bug.

What would be the signature differences between these oft recommended (admittedly toe-dipping level) tube amps for the HD6XX? Any pros/cons?

1. Darkvoice 336se
  2. Crack 1.1 OTL (with or without speedball?)
  3. Eufonika H5
  4. xDuoo TA-26
  5. Other DIY? (I just know the Crack, but open to other DIY- I'm not afraid to solder.)
As background/FYI- had a little CanJam kinda thing with a couple friends of mine over the weekend. One of my buddies brought over ZMF Verite HP and a ZMF Pendant SE tube amp.

I have been using a Magni 3+ with my HD6XX's. I liked them fine through the Schiit Magni, but when we plugged them into the Pendant- I can't go back. The soundstage opened up completely- they were like a totally different headphone. Much richer, fuller and balanced than they had been with the Magni. By comparison, the Magni was intimate and strong with vocals but I had no idea what I was missing.

(Realized later, the ZMF's and the HD6XX are both 300 ohms, and the ZMF's were 99dB sensitivity, the HD6XX are 103dB- no wonder this amp worked so well with them! By comparison, my Sundaras sounded like poo through the Pendant amp- much better through the Schiit- just so you all know I can be objective! Found out later that in general tubes and planars generally don't play well together.)

This is the first and only tube headphone amp I've ever tried, and to me it made a big difference. That said, I don't want to drop $2500 on a Pendant SE. I know HD6XX tube amp recommendations are out there and I've stumbled across a few. And no, I'm not expecting a cheap tube amp to match the sound of the Pendant, but do want to at least take a step in that direction.

(I also have the other headphones listed in my signature- if the amp can pair well with more than just the Sennheisers, that'd be cool.)

Thanks for the ideas/advice!

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 29
If you're willing to buy used, in your price range, you could get a Woo Audio WA3.

If you ever plan to use lower impedance headphones, maybe something like a Schiit Valhalla.

And finally, if you're open to a hybrid, something like the Liquid Platinum will give you some tube flavor--what's nice about this is it includes an XLR out.

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 29
If you're willing to buy used, in your price range, you could get a Woo Audio WA3.

If you ever plan to use lower impedance headphones, maybe something like a Schiit Valhalla.

And finally, if you're open to a hybrid, something like the Liquid Platinum will give you some tube flavor--what's nice about this is it includes an XLR out.
Totally open to a hybrid and used is great, too. Would a tube preamp with my Magni make sense? What I was most impressed using tubes was how the soundstage totally opened up.

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 29
Totally open to a hybrid and used is great, too. Would a tube preamp with my Magni make sense? What I was most impressed using tubes was how the soundstage totally opened up.

I never found the Magni to be very resolving. On those entry level amps, there really isn't a ton of flavor, but I've never run a tube preamp into it so cannot say for sure. Someone with more experience with it should weigh in.

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 29
I never found the Magni to be very resolving. On those entry level amps, there really isn't a ton of flavor, but I've never run a tube preamp into it so cannot say for sure. Someone with more experience with it should weigh in.
FWIW I also have a ZenDac v2, and a Magnius. But open to investing in something better. I really was blown away by the big difference in sound. Never knew the amp imparted such a sound difference so long as it was amply powered. I guess with the high impedance HPs it's a huge impact (at least with this headphone and that amp)...

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 29
Some headphones, like the HD600/650/800, really sing on certain amps and with enough power. I went down this route recently, searching for the best tube amp I could find under $1000, and settled on the Quicksilver HPA.

I've also heard a lot of stuff from Woo Audio, including the Fireflies, which actually do a surprising job. But in that sub $500 range, I think the Liquid Platinum is a solid choice. The Darkvoice might also have what you're looking for, and the Crack is a great starter tube amp.

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 29
Hybrid? In your price range? Schiit Audio Lyr 3 !! Put in a decent 6SN7 tube, you will be thrilled!

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 29
Bottlehead Crack all the way with the 6XX’s . I have to say I haven’t heard them thru a Pendant as I’ve only heard ZMF’s from that amp but can see how you would like them from it. The Pendant is very powerful and more on the neutral side and just do not like the 650/6XX on my Kenzie. If you want a non tube option the iFi ZenCan Signature 6XX is very good and one of my favorites after the Cavalli Tube Hybrid.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 29
Bottlehead Crack all the way with the 6XX’s . I have to say I haven’t heard them thru a Pendant as I’ve only heard ZMF’s from that amp but can see how you would like them from it. The Pendant is very powerful and more on the neutral side and just do not like the 650/6XX on my Kenzie. If you want a non tube option the iFi ZenCan Signature 6XX is very good and one of my favorites after the Cavalli Tube Hybrid.
Actually the Bottlehead Crack is a big reason those Eufonika amps look promising. The H4 seems very similar but cheaper and already built. I’m not afraid of DIY, but nor do I need a project just for soldering practice. That said the Crack does get lots of love and seriously considering it…

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 29
Also surprised you don’t like the Senns with the Kenzie. Even though lower power than the Pendant looks like it should pair well. This hobby is so weird. What look like good pairings on paper sometimes just… aren’t.

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 29
I have a pair of 6xx and they pair amazingly with the crack, if you love tube sound this is the way to go. I have an ampandsound amp as well, and they’re excellent on that, too. If your headphone are going to be high impedance like the senns, buyer, or zmf you owe it to yourself to explore the otl route.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 29
Would a tube preamp with my Magni make sense?
Nah, dont waste your money.

Found out later that in general tubes and planars generally don't play well together.)
Not true. OTL amps and planars typically dont go together, though there are exceptions to that rule too. What you would want is a tube hybrid amp. That will give you some liquidity in the mids, but it is most def not the same experience as a full blown OTL, but you can drive most headphones with a hybrid, so you either get an OTL and commit to high impedance headphones, of which only about 20-30 exist, or you settle for less tube-y goodness and get a hybrid, and gain the flexibility of buying headphones based upon their sound, and not their impedance.

(I also have the other headphones listed in my signature- if the amp can pair well with more than just the Sennheisers, that'd be cool.)
The 6xx would be your only headphone that would work on an OTL, which work and sound best (typically) with headphones that have an impedance from 250-600 ohms.

The Pendant is a neutral sounding amp and pairs well with warm headphones, like ZMFs and the 6xx. Also another thing to consider when looking at an OTL is the cost of tubes, cuz the ones that come with the amp are garbage. Tubes have their own sound signature, just like headphones, and the tubes that sound good, are typically expensive as hell, often costing as much, or more than the amp itself.

My setup, for inspiration. :wink:

My Glenn OTL on left, DAC on right

20220309_022309 (1).jpg

Wells Audio Dragon Level 3( tube hybrid) on left, ZMF Atrium in middle, DAC on right.
20220318_000449 (1).jpg

I get very, very different sound out of these two amps. If you want tubes and the full tube experience, its an OTL that you want.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 29
My setup, for inspiration. :wink:

My Glenn OTL on left, DAC on right

20220309_022309 (1).jpg

Wells Audio Dragon Level 3( tube hybrid) on left, ZMF Atrium in middle, DAC on right.
20220318_000449 (1).jpg

I get very, very different sound out of these two amps. If you want tubes and the full tube experience, its an OTL that you want.
Very helpful clarifications, and I am now duly insipired! Thank you for the good info and the photos of the impressive setup! I had never heard of Wells Audio or Glenn- which on this forum usually means it's great gear. So much stuff I want to try now... sheesh.

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 29
Jeff Wells is a really nice guy. He makes some high quality amps--at one point, I almost pulled the trigger on the Dragon Level 1, but it was out of budget at the time.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 29
The 6xx would be your only headphone that would work on an OTL, which is what the Pendant is. OTLs work and sound best (typically) with headphones that have an impedance from 250-600 ohms.

The Pendant is a neutral sounding OTL and pairs well with warm headphones, like ZMFs and the 6xx. Also another thing to consider when looking at an OTL is the cost of tubes, cuz the ones that come with the amp are garbage. Tubes have their own sound signature, just like headphones, and the tubes that sound good, are typically expensive as hell, often costing as much, or more than the amp itself.

Just to clarify, the Pendant is not an OTL design, it's an Ultralinear SET design.

As such, the Pendant works much more favorably with Planars than OTL designs typically do, and will work amazingly with his HD6XX but also quite well with his Sundara/others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back