Sennheiser HD6xx - Amp/Dac O2+ODac Vs Schiit Stack(Modi 2 + Magni 3)?

Which one is the best to pair with 6XX to get the best sound exprience in a great price?

• Schiit Stack(Modi 2 + Magni 3)

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Desktop Objective2 with ODAC Rev B.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Other product that weren't mention.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Audio-GD NFB-11

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters
Nov 11, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #77 of 89
Nov 12, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #80 of 89
Just asking a question, some guy in massdrop, told me that because the nfb is a pre amp, so it can only drive passive and it can't manage active speakers.
What the difference between them?
That is completely wrong and it's actually the opposite. Unless he meant line outs which the NFB has, a pre-amp cannot drive passive speakers efficiently but will manage perfectly fine with active speakers.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #81 of 89
Just asking a question, some guy in massdrop, told me that because the nfb is a pre amp, so it can only drive passive and it can't manage active speakers.

Pre-amp can drive active speaker but not passive. You need amp for passive speaker.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #82 of 89

You're sure he didn't mean the other way around? Because a preamp is meant to control an amp, and an active speaker has an amplifier built in. A passive speaker needs an amp output stage and a preamp stage to control that, so using the NFB-11 with passive speakers requires a pure power amp with no preamp stage (using the preamp output of the NFB-11) or an integrated amp for speakers that has preamp and amp output stages (using the Line output on the NFB-11).

If he didn't mean the other way around, stop listening to that guy on this matter and practically everything else.

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #83 of 89
How to manage ? Do you mean the ability to change the volume of the speakers through the amplifier ? If so, he can.
That is completely wrong and it's actually the opposite. Unless he meant line outs which the NFB has, a pre-amp cannot drive passive speakers efficiently but will manage perfectly fine with active speakers.
Pre-amp can drive active speaker but not passive. You need amp for passive speaker.
You're sure he didn't mean the other way around? Because a preamp is meant to control an amp, and an active speaker has an amplifier built in. A passive speaker needs an amp output stage and a preamp stage to control that, so using the NFB-11 with passive speakers requires a pure power amp with no preamp stage (using the preamp output of the NFB-11) or an integrated amp for speakers that has preamp and amp output stages (using the Line output on the NFB-11).

If he didn't mean the other way around, stop listening to that guy on this matter and practically everything else.
Yeah your all right, it was my mistake, and you were right, it is the opposite.
He explain me that today:
other way around. nfb has a preamp output, it can drive active speakers, by outputting a line level signal. passive speakers need a speaker level (amplified) signal.
For most scenarios, active speakers would be speakers with a built in amplifier. typically these are most commonly monitor bookshelf speakers such as say audioengine A5 or jbl LSR305 speakers, rokit's etc. active speakers would typically have RCA inputs etc, passives would have binding posts or terminals for speaker wire, spades, bananas, etc, to connect to an amplifier. you can think of the nfb11 as sort of a preamp, with a headphone amp in it but not a speaker amp in it.
the particular unit, the NFB11 is a headphone amp with a built in dac, it can drive headphoners, or output to powered speakers or a separate amplifier for speakers. a comparable product would be say, the audeze deckard, or the massdrop CTH+sdac.
the sprout/2 is what you would call an integrated amp. it has a dac, phono preamp, and a speaker amp, and a headphone amp all in one unit, but the emphasis is on the speaker amp, not the headphone amp on a unit like this, the headphone amp is pretty low power.
Sry for the ignorance :)

Dec 24, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #84 of 89
@ProtegeManiac
@ahmadfaizadnan
@Renato Fury
@buke9
@YJX94

Thank you guys for anything.
The sound is amazing, i let other people hear them, in a dark room, closed eyes and lying on a bed.
And tell them to imagine the band in front of them.
Some dude, told me that he can hear the singer cracks his throat.

After i bought the product, i saw that there is a R2R version, so look up in the internet about it, and most of the people prefer the R2R than the NFB.
So i asked Jus from magnaHifi, and he reply

"I don't think the R2R11 sounds better; the R2R11 sound is a bit less transparent."
No idea what transparent mean, but i'm happy with the NFB.

Another question for you, my only problem is the 6XX cable (6.35 to Senn connectors)

It is too short, and the quality is meh, So i thought to buy a 3th party cable, But i can't find affordable durable and not snake oil cables.
My price range is till 60$ for 3m, And i think it is enough when you consider the headphone itself cost 200$.
I want the same quality and build as Ursine audio or Impact audio, i love how it looks, and it is more flexable and not too hard for bending.
I understand that cable aren't change the quality of the sound, structure and build qualtiy are my main reasons that i thought to buy a third party cables.
There is to be a company that have the same ideology, as Audio-GD or Schiit, a quality handmade cable with reasonable prices.
Thank you for anything :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #85 of 89
@ProtegeManiac
@ahmadfaizadnan
@Renato Fury
@buke9
@YJX94

Thank you guys for anything.
The sound is amazing, i let other people hear them, in a dark room, closed eyes and lying on a bed.
And tell them to imagine the band in front of them.
Some dude, told me that he can hear the singer cracks his throat.

After i bought the product, i saw that there is a R2R version, so look up in the internet about it, and most of the people prefer the R2R than the NFB.
So i asked Jus from magnaHifi, and he reply

"I don't think the R2R11 sounds better; the R2R11 sound is a bit less transparent."

Another question for you, my only problem is the cable.

It is too short, and the quality is meh, So i thought to buy a 3th party cable, But i can't find affordable durable and not snake oil cables.
My price range is till 60$ for 3m, And i think it is enough when you consider the headphone itself cost 200$.
I want the same quality and build as Ursine audio or Impact audio, i love how it looks, and it is more flexable and not too hard for bending.
I understand that cable aren't change the quality of the sound, structure and build qualtiy are my main reasons that i thought to buy a third party cables.
There is to be a company that have the same ideology, as Audio-GD or Schiit, a quality handmade cable with reasonable prices.
Thank you for anything :)
Transparency means recovery of details, while the R2R 11 has less transparency but is more musical, but what cable are you talking about? Could it be USB? If it is then buy the Schiit pyst cable, and by the way,
CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE PURCHASE AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #86 of 89
Transparency means recovery of details, while the R2R 11 has less transparency but is more musical, but what cable are you talking about? Could it be USB? If it is then buy the Schiit pyst cable, and by the way,
CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE PURCHASE AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Awww sry i didn't was accurate.
I mean the 6xx cable to 6.35 , not audio-gd usb.
Have a great day.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #88 of 89

It means it doesn't modify the sound. Same way that a B+W UV filter is transparent apart from making for less bluish cast on white objects under sunlight compared to an older, cheaper UV filter that has a greenish cast on the whole frame.

You can buy a section of bulk Starquad cable - either per meter or you buy a 10m cut from eBay retailers depending on how they are when they sell them - and then solder on connectors. You can order the Sennheiser connectors from Cardas as theirs are easier to work with, and then you can get any Neutrik TRS plug for around $5.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #89 of 89
It means it doesn't modify the sound. Same way that a B+W UV filter is transparent apart from making for less bluish cast on white objects under sunlight compared to an older, cheaper UV filter that has a greenish cast on the whole frame.

You can buy a section of bulk Starquad cable - either per meter or you buy a 10m cut from eBay retailers depending on how they are when they sell them - and then solder on connectors. You can order the Sennheiser connectors from Cardas as theirs are easier to work with, and then you can get any Neutrik TRS plug for around $5.
So it means more netural sound. Easy word.

For the cable, can you sum all of the parts i need to purchase with link, and diy video. I never solder before, sort of instructions. I want it to have the same build and look like the ursine, braided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back