Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 28, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #7,651 of 9,585
Gotcha. That is tempting. My advice is if you really, really want to try the 660s now sounds like a great time to get them with the refurbished deal. Sometimes you get an itch and you just have to scratch it! Lol! Also if you really want to consolidate the 660s is a logical choice.

Having said all of that with your use being 70/30 gaming to music another option you might want to consider is holding on to the 58Xs and 6XXs. Continue using the 58X for gaming and get an OTL tube amp to run with the 6XX for music. The 6XX/650 really come alive with an OTL tube amp. The absolute best I've heard any of the 600 family of cans sound is the 6XX with an OTL tube amp (in my case Schiit Valhalla). I'm not sure if the 660s is going to be that much better for gaming then the 58X (and quite honestly the 58X sounds close to the 660s for music with some genres like metal and classic rock, where the 660s really starts to separate from the 58X is with jazz, classical, folk, and acoustical). With the addition of an OTL tube amp with the 6XX you would have one setup optimized for music and still have the 58X which is great for gaming.

Many people don't consider the 660s as an upgrade to the 6XX as much as just another option with different tuning. I personally think it's the best all-around phone in the 600 family but the differences are not huge over the others. So that's a really long winded way of saying if you really want to try the 660s go for it! I don't think you will be disappointed but you may want to consider keeping what you have and adding equipment to optimize what you have. Either way I think you'll be happy.
Wow, that's a terrific response! Thank you!

I actually like the 58x the most of any headphone I've tried, weirdly enough. The 660s sounding similar to the 58x is actually appealing to me. In the genres you mentioned that set the 660s apart, what specifically makes it better?

I'm not sure I can justify more source gear, as if anything I'm trying to pare down my audio collection lol. Though if the 660s is more just another 6 series flavor rather than something clearly different, I may be better off keeping what I have.

I also own the 560s and pc38x. I feel like having all 4 (those two plus the 58x and 6xx) is too much, but I have trouble picking one up sell lol. The pc38x is great for console usage and playing multiplayer games on PC with friends. The 560s is TERRIFIC and scratches that wide soundstage, neutral itch. The 58x and 6xx are probably redundant, but when I compare both I can't seem to pick one to get rid of lol, love em both.

For pure music listening, the 6xx is just incredible. Especially on high gain on the Hel, even though I can't go past like 8:30am on the dial as it's too loud, the extra power really makes them come alive. Music sound so damn good on them. The 58x though just game way better, punchier and with probably the best imaging I've heard. They clearly don't perform as well technically as the 6xx when I compare back and forth- I never really knew what detail retrieval meant before hearing the 6xx. It just extracts more detail and has more clarity somehow. Still the sound signature of the 58x is pretty much perfect to me.

I do really want to try the 660s though. If it can marry those two in a sense, it would be the perfect headphone to me. If I do pull the trigger I will report back. Thanks again.

May 28, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #7,652 of 9,585
No problem and thank you! The difference in the 660s and 58X in those genres is the 660s is smoother in the upper mids/lower treble so it's just a little more of a pleasant listen. I love the 58X also but it does have a little extra energy in the highs compared to the 660s. This actually makes the 58X good for gaming and I like that extra energy for genres like rock and metal. For more laid back genres the 660s is the smoother listen. Not as smooth as the 6XX but smoother than the 58X while being more exciting than the 6XX.

Since you don't want to get another amp and want to do some consolidating, I think the 660s makes a lot of sense. If you pick one up please let us know what you think of it after you've had time to listen to it for a bit.

May 29, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #7,653 of 9,585
I have a Schiit Hel dac/amp. My use case is like 70% gaming 30% music. I listen to lots of different genres of music, and play a variety of games. It seems you have all 3. What's your advice?

The appeal of the 660s is that it seems I could replace the 6xx and 58x with them, so I could consolidate my collection.

The 660s are $350 certified refurbished direct from Sennheiser on eBay right now. Tempting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser...-/373553027423?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
If u want great imaging and music HD660s are great option.
If u want big soundstage then get DT1990.
350 for HD660s refurbished ? OMG so expensive, i guess its US ? I get your feeling 660s are expensive in US but focal elex and 6xx are very cheap Compare to Europe. U should also Check AKG 7Xx for gaming .
To me HD660s is good on everything but 1990 and 7xx have wider soundstage if u care about gaming mostly and 1990 have more low end impact.

May 30, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #7,654 of 9,585
Ho preso da poco sennheiser 660 e piloti con un lake people g111 con un big accoppiato, ma trovo quelli alti un po' sibilanti, al limite del fastidioso, questo mi crea qualche difficoltà all'ascolto. Con l'ustione in via di miglioramento? Qualche esperienza in merito? Grazie

Jun 2, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #7,655 of 9,585
No problem and thank you! The difference in the 660s and 58X in those genres is the 660s is smoother in the upper mids/lower treble so it's just a little more of a pleasant listen. I love the 58X also but it does have a little extra energy in the highs compared to the 660s. This actually makes the 58X good for gaming and I like that extra energy for genres like rock and metal. For more laid back genres the 660s is the smoother listen. Not as smooth as the 6XX but smoother than the 58X while being more exciting than the 6XX.

Since you don't want to get another amp and want to do some consolidating, I think the 660s makes a lot of sense. If you pick one up please let us know what you think of it after you've had time to listen to it for a bit.
Got the 660s in today. Took a few hours of brain burn, but wow- they are incredible.

I don't think they sound that similar to the 58x sound signature wise, or at least not as much as I expected them to with how often I see them compared as such. The 660s are just on another plane IMO. They made my 58x almost immediately redundant lol. Price difference aside, they're just way better.

In terms of how they compare to the 6xx, I feel like that's a real competition. Switching between the two, volume leveled on the same track I'm hard pressed to pick which one I like better. There are qualifies about both that I love. One thing that is apparent though is the technical performance of the 660s driver (which I've read may be the hd700 driver). It takes a bit of listening time to start to notice it, but the increase in detail retrieval and clarity is pretty great.

I need more time to listen and evaluate obviously, but I'm pretty damn happy with how the 660s sound. I find the way you described their sound to be pretty spot on. They do seem to be a great mix of the 58x and 6xx.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #7,656 of 9,585
Got the 660s in today. Took a few hours of brain burn, but wow- they are incredible.

I don't think they sound that similar to the 58x sound signature wise, or at least not as much as I expected them to with how often I see them compared as such. The 660s are just on another plane IMO. They made my 58x almost immediately redundant lol. Price difference aside, they're just way better.

In terms of how they compare to the 6xx, I feel like that's a real competition. Switching between the two, volume leveled on the same track I'm hard pressed to pick which one I like better. There are qualifies about both that I love. One thing that is apparent though is the technical performance of the 660s driver (which I've read may be the hd700 driver). It takes a bit of listening time to start to notice it, but the increase in detail retrieval and clarity is pretty great.

I need more time to listen and evaluate obviously, but I'm pretty damn happy with how the 660s sound. I find the way you described their sound to be pretty spot on. They do seem to be a great mix of the 58x and 6xx.
I agree the 6 line is level up compared to 58x.
Did u notice better imaging and instruments separation with 660s compared to 6xx ? Because this was what pops out to me most.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #7,657 of 9,585

Share some photos if u can .
The pads on 660s inside plastic ring is black ?

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #7,658 of 9,585
Share some photos if u can .
The pads on 660s inside plastic ring is black ?
Yes, the pads look identical to those on my 6xx and 58x. Brand new they don't feel any different than what I've experience with these pads to this point, having replaced them on my 6xx and 58x a few times.

As for your other question, the thing that really stands out to me when comparing the 660s to the 58x is the amazing depth of sound. The 58x sounds very thin in comparison, like the music is on a 2D plane. As soon as I switch to the 660s, it feels like the music gains a 3 dimensional character and just envelops my head. They sound way more full and detailed. Honestly I don't think the 58x are even in the same ballpark as the 660s, I'm sort of scratching my head at how often they are said to sound "almost the same". Note that both have newish pads (I just replaced my 58x pads several weeks ago).

With more listening I also feel somewhat the same about the 660s vs the 6xx/650. The 660s somehow just sound more full and layered. Its really hard for me to put into words, and I find a lot of the terms used in the audiophile community to be pretty nebulous anyway haha. Again it just feels like I'm listening to a recording on a 2D plane with the 6xx (though more detailed, smooth and balanced than the 58x), but with the 660s it suddenly turns into a 3D experience. It sounds lame but I struggle to describe it otherwise.

The imaging on the 660s is downright incredible. I thought the 58x had the best imaging I've heard, but the 660s is levels better than it. I can place the location of a background guitar as being like to the left, up a bit and a few feet back, rather than just "on the left side". Its remarkable.

One thing that's a bit strange for me is the treble extension. It feels like the 660s doesn't extend as far as the 6xx. I also don't completely agree that the 6xx are veiled and 660s lift that veil. I actually feel the 660s is a tad more muted in upper treble. However it also sounds smoother in the treble region than the 6xx, which is a feat because the 6xx is incredible smooth.

As an aside, I actually find the 560s shares a lot of the tonal quality of the 660s. I know Sennheiser intimated that in their marketing of the 560s, and its actually true in my experience. The 560s sort of sounds like a wider 660s, but more neutral and more "sparkly" if you will. I think the 560s and 660s are a clear generational improvement over their predecessors in the 5xx and 6xx line. They are the newest and greatest so to speak.

I will try to write down more as I listen more, if anyone is interested.

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #7,659 of 9,585
Yep. HD660S is more closely similar to HD58X than HD600 and 650 in terms of frequency response.

But the notion that they sound essentially the same comes from those who want to push HD600 and HD650. It would be great if people would stop doing that just because they are fans of the other two headphones.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #7,660 of 9,585

I agree with you, the HD660 is an exceptional headphone and has nothing to do with the HD58X or even with the HD650. The HD58X feels like an HD650 with more bass is a slightly less soundstage. The HD58X also goes well with OTL amplifiers (HD660 sadly not). I am attaching this track, try it with the HD660, HD650 and HD58X (from min. 0.33 to 1.10 approximately). I really like the HD58X in double bass, viola and sax. Since I have the HD660 and Sony MDR-1AM2 (both in the realm of sharpness), I can say that the HD650 (2013) has no veil in my amplifiers, I recommend amplifying them properly for maximum performance.
Test:

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #7,662 of 9,585
Is the Sennheiser HD660S a good match for the Sony NW-WM1A?
Yes. It comes wirh the 4.4mm cable so you are good to go. I like that combo very much.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #7,663 of 9,585
I agree with you, the HD660 is an exceptional headphone and has nothing to do with the HD58X or even with the HD650. The HD58X feels like an HD650 with more bass is a slightly less soundstage. The HD58X also goes well with OTL amplifiers (HD660 sadly not). I am attaching this track, try it with the HD660, HD650 and HD58X (from min. 0.33 to 1.10 approximately). I really like the HD58X in double bass, viola and sax. Since I have the HD660 and Sony MDR-1AM2 (both in the realm of sharpness), I can say that the HD650 (2013) has no veil in my amplifiers, I recommend amplifying them properly for maximum performance.
Test:

I prefer the HD660s presentation in that clip to the other two. I can notice the difference in detail right away. The 58x does push some of the strings to the front of the mix so it does sound pretty good on that track. The 660s though sounds the best IMO.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #7,664 of 9,585

Awesome! Really glad you are liking them! The areas that I find the 660s really to separate itself from the others is in soundstage and imaging so I think you are spot on about the technical performance.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #7,665 of 9,585
I prefer the HD660s presentation in that clip to the other two. I can notice the difference in detail right away. The 58x does push some of the strings to the front of the mix so it does sound pretty good on that track. The 660s though sounds the best IMO.
Thank you very much for testing this song.
I really like the HD58X in the part where the bow is used in the double bass. I have the perception that in the HD58X the mids convey a sound with more soul in this part of the song. I really like the HD660s and I think they are very versatile.. if you equalize well, you can also immerse yourself in electronic and rock music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back