Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #7,516 of 9,597
I still enjoyed it!

I think it's the same design?! Just in the box it said made in Romania and the same it is specified on massdrop site if you look there.

20210424_123320_HDR.jpg
Sennheiser shipped the old HD 600 (HD 580, HD 600, 650, 6xx, HD 58X Jubilee, and HD 660S when it first launched) series tooling down to Romania, and the HD 6XX and HD 58X Jubilee are still made with that tooling. It’s like Elon Musk said recently: making the tools that make the product is harder than making the product!

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #7,517 of 9,597
I still enjoyed it!

Sennheiser shipped the old HD 600 (HD 580, HD 600, 650, 6xx, HD 58X Jubilee, and HD 660S when it first launched) series tooling down to Romania, and the HD 6XX and HD 58X Jubilee are still made with that tooling. It’s like Elon Musk said recently: making the tools that make the product is harder than making the product!
So old tools for HD58X and HD6XX.
What i want to know is , if also the drivers on them made and pass quality control with the old tools (machines) .

If thats the case it make sense for 58x 6xx price's.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #7,518 of 9,597
I now have the 660S, 6XX and 58X along with my ZMF Aeolus. I now have the task of deciding which of the Sennheisers to keep. I don't need all three. The 660S and 58X to my ears sound just about identical with perhaps the 660S edging out the 58X in detail retrieval. Either one has deeper bass than the 6XX but those have a smoother mid range. I'm not a bass head but I do appreciate the deeper bass of the 660S and 58X as it makes for an overall fuller sound. The 6XX having a smoother sound but less bass can seem a bit dull by comparison. Now given I also have the ZMF Aeolus which many describe as a "super HD650" it may just make sense to keep those and sell all the Sennheisers. However the ZMF are noticeably heavier and bulkier and I would want a lightweight headphone to compliment them. In the end this is a tough decision. What would you do in my position?

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #7,519 of 9,597
I now have the 660S, 6XX and 58X along with my ZMF Aeolus. I now have the task of deciding which of the Sennheisers to keep. I don't need all three. The 660S and 58X to my ears sound just about identical with perhaps the 660S edging out the 58X in detail retrieval. Either one has deeper bass than the 6XX but those have a smoother mid range. I'm not a bass head but I do appreciate the deeper bass of the 660S and 58X as it makes for an overall fuller sound. The 6XX having a smoother sound but less bass can seem a bit dull by comparison. Now given I also have the ZMF Aeolus which many describe as a "super HD650" it may just make sense to keep those and sell all the Sennheisers. However the ZMF are noticeably heavier and bulkier and I would want a lightweight headphone to compliment them. In the end this is a tough decision. What would you do in my position?

I don't have any of the headphones you mentioned but if you have all of them with you, why not choose the one you like the most (sound + comfort)?
For me, I would never keep a headphone that is uncomfortable no matter how good they sound.

I also heard that 6XX does wonders if you plan to upgrade your AMP and or get tubes, so that might be something to consider.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #7,520 of 9,597

I would sell the 58X and possibly the 6XX and definitely buy a 600.

I also have the Aeolus and really enjoy it, but it's nice to have the variety, I recommend keeping a few headphones around, especially if you bought them new and would take a loss selling them.

Ask here how many have sold and rebought, multiple times. It's a better approach to put something safely away, you will come back to it in a few months.

The Senns are also more open and sometimes I prefer that.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #7,522 of 9,597
I've finally been introduced to HD6xx series and got 650 at home and honestly even though I tried hard I don't really understand why there is so much hype around them. I had hopes that they will scale insanely with OTL amp, but did see little improvement. The good thing is that they are non fatiguing and has a decent sounding vocals, but that's nearly about it. As an openback very closed in sound, subbass information missing, treble rolled off which I don't mind, but sound signature as a whole is a bit dirty poo poo. For the retail price that they go in my country I think I could find better offerings in mid-tier. Maybe hd6xx series is hyped because it has been in the market for so long and is driven by sentiments of people. I won't give up on HD650 for now, they are comfy and could be ok as a backup hp. I've seen few mods, though removing foam cover gave more detail presence, but as well brought extra dirt/roughness to the sound. Sorry for ramblings, it seems I had too high expectations for this hp.

You don’t mention if the ones you got are brand new or used, but if they are previously used try to replace the pads with new ones from Sennheiser. For the HD650/HD6XX (as with all other phones in the HD6-line, HD660S included I would imagine) this can really improve the sound if the pads being replaced are worn down. In my experience worn pads can make them sound flat and lifeless. I don’t think new pads will do anything with regard to the sub bass though..

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #7,523 of 9,597
You don’t mention if the ones you got are brand new or used, but if they are previously used try to replace the pads with new ones from Sennheiser. For the HD650/HD6XX (as with all other phones in the HD6-line, HD660S included I would imagine) this can really improve the sound if the pads being replaced are worn down. In my experience worn pads can make them sound flat and lifeless. I don’t think new pads will do anything with regard to the sub bass though..
I've got HD650 new, it seems these headphones don't like very warm'ish source, with svetlana 12AX7 tubes in place pairing is better

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #7,524 of 9,597
I actually find the opposite regarding 6XX and 660s tested with several amps. Mine 6XX has deeper bass than 660s but 660s is smoother in mid range and less forward, also with some songs 6XX is grainy in mid range. (sadly after 3 months there is still some grain with certain songs on my 6xx while 660s is mostly clean, I guess there is some unit variations and Sennheiser doesn't always use their best drivers on the cheap 6xx, kinda regret I didn't buy the 650 for a little more)

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #7,525 of 9,597
I actually find the opposite regarding 6XX and 660s tested with several amps. Mine 6XX has deeper bass than 660s but 660s is smoother in mid range and less forward, also with some songs 6XX is grainy in mid range. (sadly after 3 months there is still some grain with certain songs on my 6xx while 660s is mostly clean, I guess there is some unit variations and Sennheiser doesn't always use their best drivers on the cheap 6xx, kinda regret I didn't buy the 650 for a little more)

I thought the same thing. HD6XX is a little grainy compared to HD660S. The HD660S is supposed to have the better driver, so this is not surprising.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #7,526 of 9,597
Purchased these a couple weeks ago to compliment my HD 800. Wanted something warmer and less analytical. The HD 800 can be unforgiving on certain recordings.

I had the HD 650 9 years ago but sold it after purchasing the HD 800. I found the HD 650 too dark for my liking. This doesn't seem to be the case with the HD 660s. The highs are present but never gets to the point of being too sibilant. The imaging and detail retrieval is good. Overall a very good sound signature. A keeper for sure.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #7,527 of 9,597
I finally got a pair of 660Ss Friday and have been listening a good bit this weekend. Compared to the 600s, 6XXs, and 58Xs I do find the 660Ss to be the best can in the family for my tastes but it is slight. They have slightly better bass, better detail retrieval, better soundstage, and better imaging. But again the difference to me is slight compared to the others. Of course I'm still getting used to these so impressions my change over time.

To me if you don't own any of the others in the 600 family I would get these used (wouldn't pay full retail for these) and be done with it. If you own some of the others in this family and you are on the fence about getting these, unless you are trying to collect the whole family of cans like I am or just want to try them, I don't know if I would recommend them. Again they are slightly better than the others but just slightly. I don't know if the price premium of these is worth it for the slight increase in performance you get with these.

They are quite good but to be honest these are $499 retail in the US and so are the Aeon Flow Open Xs. I spent some time comparing the two today and quite frankly the Aeon Flow Xs were better in every category but maybe vocals. To my ears the Aeon Flow Xs are just as good for vocals and maybe slightly better for my tastes. In every other category I found the AF Xs to be appreciably better. If I were to recommend a new headphone to someone in the $500 range I would recommend the AF Xs every time.

Having said that they are quite good, just not $499 good. Hopefully Sennheiser will adjust the price of these to something more competitive like Hifiman did with the Sundara. They would be much more competitive and easier to recommend then.

May 3, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #7,528 of 9,597
I bought this recently for my Cascades and Senns:
20210119_173817~2.jpg

Cost me $40.00Cdn. on Amazon.
I picked one of these up as well. Do you find 4.4 connector a tight fit? Need to apply a little more force than I would like to get it to click in. Wish it was shorter and more flexible as well. I also got a 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm adapter and it's also a tight fit. Even more so.

Probably going to stick with the SE cable as that gives me more range on the volume knob. With balance connection, I'm never past 9 o'clock on low gain.

May 4, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #7,529 of 9,597
Both my 6XX and 660s are made in Romania. I also like 660s better in almost every way. The sub-bass is better on 6XX, mid bass is around the same and mid instruments have about the same fullness. But everything else is better on 660s. Even if people say 660s is expensive I actually think it's worth the price difference from 6XX for someone who is interesting in small details because the differences are not big of course, but I like a lot those small differences on 660s.
I was idiot. The 660s is actually made in Ireland. Never payed attention to what was imprinted on the band for two years somehow because on the shop I bought it said made in Romania. I guess this can add some differences to the sound too.

IMG-20210504-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210504-WA0001.jpg

May 4, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #7,530 of 9,597
I was idiot. The 660s is actually made in Ireland. Never payed attention to what was imprinted on the band for two years somehow because on the shop I bought it said made in Romania. I guess this can add some differences to the sound too.

I wonder if anyone has compared the 660Ss made in Romania to those made in Ireland? My 660Ss were made in Romania and the 600s, 6XXs,and 58Xs I have were all made in Ireland. To be honest the build quality of my 660Ss does seem to be quite nice and comparable to the others, I'm just wondering if there are any sound quality differences? I'm guessing that any differences in sound may be attributed to variations between individual units (same variations as you would get comparing two of the same models made in Ireland factory or vice versa), but I'm purely speculating on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back