Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 23, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #7,336 of 9,611
They really can adapt to different eras (Led Zep / 80's / Radiohead) or if a favorite artist makes a drastic change in their sound. Those are the times I'm really looking to use EQ. I was able to make a few small changes to the "oratory1990" settings to get what I liked out of a rather obscure 80's album and it sounded great. I wasn't so enthused about it prior to that so I sure did appreciate that.

The Sundara is a great companion to the 660. You could get by with the two and maybe just mess around with amps and tube rolling. They both can reveal good detail and cover a lot of bases.

Other than just pure curiosity about the 600/650, I'm starting to look at amps based on the performance of these entry level cans I've got so far. I do kind of have a boner for Focal or LCD2 headphones but I don't know about them yet.

Thanks for the reply. It confirms some of what I'm hearing! lol :)
I also find the Sundaras and the HD600 family of cans to be an excellent companion to each other. No need to have one over the other, if one can swing it they are a great compliment to each other. Can't wait to add the HD660s to the family, just waiting for the right deal. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #7,340 of 9,611
I also find the Sundaras and the HD600 family of cans to be an excellent companion to each other. No need to have one over the other, if one can swing it they are a great compliment to each other. Can't wait to add the HD660s to the family, just waiting for the right deal. Happy listening!

Wait for the $400 sale or spend up on something else. They are good at $400 or less. For $500 the low end gets too flappy, or absent completely at times, on too many tracks for me compared to Sundara, at it's $350 price point. That's with me using a Magni though. Maybe 660 is better with a more spendy amp.

I still like and use the 660 though! I go back and forth deciding which is my favorite depending on what I'm listening to. Maybe 660 for Springsteen and Sundara for smooth jazz. I like them both.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #7,341 of 9,611
I agree, the Sundara which I owned briefly were good cans. The Hd660s I find a little more versatile and enjoy their flexibility more. With a good amplifier the Hd660s are very good headphones.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #7,342 of 9,611
I agree, the Sundara which I owned briefly were good cans. The Hd660s I find a little more versatile and enjoy their flexibility more. With a good amplifier the Hd660s are very good headphones.
Yeahp Sundara are great my only complain is thr cable that i change with meze , and the weight ... Othar than that its nice.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #7,343 of 9,611
Wait for the $400 sale or spend up on something else. They are good at $400 or less. For $500 the low end gets too flappy, or absent completely at times, on too many tracks for me compared to Sundara, at it's $350 price point. That's with me using a Magni though. Maybe 660 is better with a more spendy amp.

I still like and use the 660 though! I go back and forth deciding which is my favorite depending on what I'm listening to. Maybe 660 for Springsteen and Sundara for smooth jazz. I like them both.
Hmmm i never used magni but on other dac amps that i use like ifi nano micro zen , dragonfly , harman kardon 151 , fio k5pro and my lg v30 with sabre , the bass from 660s never gets flappy or absent VS the Sundara .
I can really hear that bass goes more low end on Sundara but on 660s it feels more high bass , thats why some times depending the song Sundara are more bassy and on some others with mid high bass 660s feel a bit more...
Bass getting flappy it happens to me with my 650 on some tracks with low end and fast very fast instruments like Infected Mushrooms... But that never happens with 660s or Sundara both of them seperate and doesnt struggle at all with bass notes.
Are your 660 with default pads and no EQ ? But even with oratory eq that i have tried both on Sundara and 660s they didnt distrord at normal volumes ( i dont listen on high volumes personaly)

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #7,346 of 9,611
Lady L - John Mclaughlin. That’s one of my favourites to listen to. The Tabla (Bass instrument) solo is a really good test on any system. It’s fast with lots of texture to it. HD660S Mids and Bass keep up with it. Maybe not the last word in technicalities but it sounds coherent.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #7,347 of 9,611
Sory for not asking u first , and thanks for making a review that its like you are in my head. Hope u keep up making good videos for other headphones ...Focal clear MG for example :)
no need to apologize, I appreciate the video share. You are welcome for the review, my pleasure. Focal Clear MG would be awesome to review, hopefully one comes in to the channel or the funds become available.

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #7,348 of 9,611
Hmmm i never used magni but on other dac amps that i use like ifi nano micro zen , dragonfly , harman kardon 151 , fio k5pro and my lg v30 with sabre , the bass from 660s never gets flappy or absent VS the Sundara .
I can really hear that bass goes more low end on Sundara but on 660s it feels more high bass , thats why some times depending the song Sundara are more bassy and on some others with mid high bass 660s feel a bit more...
Bass getting flappy it happens to me with my 650 on some tracks with low end and fast very fast instruments like Infected Mushrooms... But that never happens with 660s or Sundara both of them seperate and doesnt struggle at all with bass notes.
Are your 660 with default pads and no EQ ? But even with oratory eq that i have tried both on Sundara and 660s they didnt distrord at normal volumes ( i dont listen on high volumes personaly)

Yes my 660 cans are stock but I am nitpicking and this could just be me being overly critical. I like the 660 for a lot of the music I listen to. And I probably need to experiment with other amps. My opinion is just from a noob perspective. Feel free to disregard me since I have a lot to learn. I still maintain that the Sundara handles those segments where there is a lot going on better but I don't want to be a troll to you guys, either. I'm not trying to be the contrarian stirring people up. I'm being honest but freely admit it is not a very experienced opinion.

They are not worth $500 though!

Currently listening to:

Sounds best to me with the Sundara + EQing that crazy 80's mix and that counts a lot for me.

I'm interested in what y'all are listening to on your 660s and EQ settings as well. Post a link! I've been turned on to lots of good music in the short time I've been here when people will talk about what they listen to!

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #7,349 of 9,611
Music recommendations:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/5bbf80ce-33f3-4222-a1fc-6539a95415d6 (in order of playlist)
Tingvall Trio “Beat” - piano tonality
Sinne Eeg “We’ve Just Begun” - multiple layer soundstage
Molly Johnson “What a Little Moonlight Can Do” - female vocal tone
Leslie Odom Jr. “Under Pressure” - male vocal tone
Eric Clapton “Change the World” - soundstage, layering and placement
Yo Yo Ma “Ecstasy of Gold” - acoustic instrument timbre
Adam Baldych “Spem in Alium” - acoustic instrument timbre
Pain of Salvation “Stress” - percussion balance
Michael Buble “When I Fall in Love” - orchestral dynamics
Patricia Barber “Code Cool” - sibilance check
Christian Scott “New New Orleans” - shouty upper mids
Tool “Chocolate Chip Trip” - imaging
Hans Zimmer “Why So Serious” - sub bass extension
Marcus Miller “No Limit” - bass control
Dave Holland Quartet “Conference Of The Birds”- bass check
Ilhan Eshkeri “47 Ronin”- orchestra and bass dynamics
Hans Zimmer :2049” - sub bass extension
Cher: Believe - sibilance
Stanley Clarke - Passenger 57 main title - percussion, bass, seperation and placement
Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra - The Pine of the Appian Way - soundstage, imaging and seperation
Houston Person - You are my Sunshine - tone and timbre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back