Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #7,231 of 9,618
20210307_190040.jpg

Best i've heard them on a non desktop system.Wide sounstage with very good depth,mids incredibly layered,detailed and natural without harshness,extended and airy highs with good information and timbre to die for.The tonality is perfect,very good synergy and the dap is still fresh,just 20h usage,supposedly needs around 200h burn in for the capacitors to settle.Very happy with this Ibasso atm.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #7,232 of 9,618
Do you mean that the 5 series also have 38 drivers ?

I thought 560s has 36/38, the 6xx 38/40 the focal elex 40mm and the 660s 38/40 same like the focal taking 40 to be the basis for comparison. Is so confusing when they quote two numbers I do not know for what we really are talking here.
One could assume...I'm unable to honestly say one way or another.... but it appears you are more on top of this than I am... : )

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #7,233 of 9,618
So... My 660s died after 2 weeks of use. Nice. I was using it just fine yesterday. Today i started listening to some songs and noticed the Right side was completely dead. I've tried with my cellphone, my computer and my notebook. The same on all of them. I will have to send it to warranty.

I was afraid of that when i've purchased the Sundara, but never the Sennheiser. Really disapointed.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #7,234 of 9,618
So... My 660s died after 2 weeks of use. Nice. I was using it just fine yesterday. Today i started listening to some songs and noticed the Right side was completely dead. I've tried with my cellphone, my computer and my notebook. The same on all of them. I will have to send it to warranty.

I was afraid of that when i've purchased the Sundara, but never the Sennheiser. Really disapointed.
Did you try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable?

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #7,237 of 9,618
The 660s sound great for vocals and acoustical music, but are lacking punch for pop/80's genres for my taste. If anyone is looking for a like-new set (purchased in October) with very few hours on them (beyond the break-in) message me. I bought them direct from Sennheiser.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #7,238 of 9,618
I did get my Hifiman Sundara in earlier today. First impression is the 660S is more comfy but the Sundara is not at all uncomfortable, either. After a couple hours of listening, I haven't noticed any discomfort worth mentioning.

Box stock, or with the EQ settings I have used, the Sennheiser is a warmer, friendlier sound, emphasizing a warm midrange, for sure. The bass is less tight and focused compared to the Sundara. The 660 is a little thin and wooly sounding to me in the low end, compared to the Sundara. The Sundara delved into goosebump territory with some EQ experiments I delved into.

The Sundara revealed more low end detail and thump in tracks I listened to by Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton. I listened to an album they did together ("Larry & Lee") and they always employ an excellent bassist with great skill and tone. This is something I really look for in my music and initially,* this was a source of disappointment with the Sundara until some EQ was applied*. I thought the planars in the Sundara would really thunder and sound off right away but it needed some help. With some boost from the PEACE EQ, the Sundara really stood out with some very satisfying bass.

FWIW, soundstage is a tossup between the two but the Hifiman is still just fresh out of the box. There is probably a little less of the 3 blobs with the Hifiman. I probably did get a better center stage image with the Sundara but width/height is the same so far. At this point, I'd have no problem recommending either one, with the caveat about Hifiman durability / QC I've read about.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #7,239 of 9,618

Have you tried to push the L and R connectors well into the driver? They are harder than the HD650 connectors.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #7,241 of 9,618
Try unplugging and cleaning the contacts with alcohol, then plug back in after 1 minute.

Mar 7, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #7,242 of 9,618
replied to wrong post-deleted.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #7,244 of 9,618
I did get my Hifiman Sundara in earlier today. First impression is the 660S is more comfy but the Sundara is not at all uncomfortable, either. After a couple hours of listening, I haven't noticed any discomfort worth mentioning.

Box stock, or with the EQ settings I have used, the Sennheiser is a warmer, friendlier sound, emphasizing a warm midrange, for sure. The bass is less tight and focused compared to the Sundara. The 660 is a little thin and wooly sounding to me in the low end, compared to the Sundara. The Sundara delved into goosebump territory with some EQ experiments I delved into.

The Sundara revealed more low end detail and thump in tracks I listened to by Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton. I listened to an album they did together ("Larry & Lee") and they always employ an excellent bassist with great skill and tone. This is something I really look for in my music and initially,* this was a source of disappointment with the Sundara until some EQ was applied*. I thought the planars in the Sundara would really thunder and sound off right away but it needed some help. With some boost from the PEACE EQ, the Sundara really stood out with some very satisfying bass.

FWIW, soundstage is a tossup between the two but the Hifiman is still just fresh out of the box. There is probably a little less of the 3 blobs with the Hifiman. I probably did get a better center stage image with the Sundara but width/height is the same so far. At this point, I'd have no problem recommending either one, with the caveat about Hifiman durability / QC I've read about.
I've had a Sundara for about a week now also. Compared to the 600 family cans I own (600, 6XX, and 58X), I'm really digging it. I still like the 600 family of cans slightly better for vocals and small scale acoustical, but for everything else I'm preferring the Sundara.

The Sundara sounded a little thin at first, but as they break in they are getting fuller and fuller. After a little break in and when listening to something where a large soundstage is prevelant, I think you are going to find the soundstage and imaging on the Sundara to be better by an appreciable margin.

I will get a 660s someday. I almost bought one before buying the Sundara. It was between the Sundara, Ananda, HD660s, and Aeon Flow open. I got a good deal on the Sundara and went with it. I don't regret the decision at all.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #7,245 of 9,618
Going Balanced vs Single ended amp for the HD660s? Is it worth getting a balanced amp for the HD660s?

I am looking at getting a Lehmann Audio Drachenfels and a Mojo for DAC duties at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JM
Back