Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 1, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #5,896 of 9,618
Wow I just read like 300 Pages of this thread and Ort me say- Mike, what a journey! :D

i just received my HD660S + Apogee Groove and wow....
listening to Alpha Blondy let my ❤ melt! Coming from Airpods Pro and He400i it is just beatiful
I’m surprised how much I like the Groove, the constant current drive seems to be effective. If I’m traveling, I throw it into my luggage even if I don’t know if I’ll get a chance to use it, just because it’s compact.

May 1, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #5,898 of 9,618
Hey, I’d be curious... has anyone heard songs on the HD 660 S that seem to really suit the headphone and play to its strengths? I made a playlist of “some” songs I listened to lately that I really enjoyed on the HD 660 S, and I’d be curious about what other people have enjoyed. I made it collaborative... just please don’t delete any songs I or others add:

May 2, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #5,899 of 9,618
The strength of this headphone for me is, that it makes everything sound right, with no exception. That is very important, because only the music counts for me. So the HD660S is my perfect tool for listening. Most of the time running from the Sony WM1A's 4.4mm balanced output. Now I still need a closed version for office listening. Like the HD820S but in the HD660S price category and form factor.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #5,900 of 9,618
The strength of this headphone for me is, that it makes everything sound right, with no exception. That is very important, because only the music counts for me. So the HD660S is my perfect tool for listening. Most of the time running from the Sony WM1A's 4.4mm balanced output. Now I still need a closed version for office listening. Like the HD820S but in the HD660S price category and form factor.
I am at the same place like u.
My 599 for games my 650 for old recordings and my 660s are my holy grail so relaxed so clear so energetic is perfect for me and its good on mostly everything.
I am ok about open back headphones at this price range .
The problem is like u said i cant find a closed back headphone that sounds close to HD660, i tried some from bose fostex sennheiser beyers etch etch some of them had a lot of bass others a lot of highs for now i use bose ae2 its the flatest smoother of all and price under 200 , if u check Rtratings u gone see it has really nice frequency but again its not clear or have this fast or imaging like u expect after listening 660s. I have search for some other closed back also and a reviewer long time ago told me about some AKG ??? Anyways i dont think ita possible to get that 660s sound to closed back .

May 2, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #5,901 of 9,618
I am at the same place like u.
My 599 for games my 650 for old recordings and my 660s are my holy grail so relaxed so clear so energetic is perfect for me and its good on mostly everything.
I am ok about open back headphones at this price range .
The problem is like u said i cant find a closed back headphone that sounds close to HD660, i tried some from bose fostex sennheiser beyers etch etch some of them had a lot of bass others a lot of highs for now i use bose ae2 its the flatest smoother of all and price under 200 , if u check Rtratings u gone see it has really nice frequency but again its not clear or have this fast or imaging like u expect after listening 660s. I have search for some other closed back also and a reviewer long time ago told me about some AKG ??? Anyways i dont think ita possible to get that 660s sound to closed back .

Me: might sound blasphemous, but mebbe look into iems or earbuds?
You: BLASPHEMY!

(lol)

May 2, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #5,902 of 9,618
Anyways i dont think ita possible to get that 660s sound to closed back .

I heard the Sennheiser HD-250 Linear I or II might be a solid closed-back with the excellent timbre of the 6-series. It's a vintage headphone however, and I have not heard it, just read about it.

May 2, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #5,903 of 9,618
Me: might sound blasphemous, but mebbe look into iems or earbuds?
You: BLASPHEMY!

(lol)
10 years ago i was in to iems and i like them but my problem now 40 years old is that they hurt my ears, i only use 2 of them and they both are outside ear canal .
I have heard some really good iems but all this race about finding the correct position the correct tip silicone foam or 10 different shapes and every time the sound was differentiated some time seal was great and other not.
For now i only use bose soundsports are the most comfortable and great for running .
I have also tested some on ear headphones and again didnt like them i still have BW p5 because of the beautyful design and materials they use.
I am so sensitive that even leather quality or velour its easy to feel the quality between manufacturer's.

May 2, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #5,904 of 9,618
Sory for asking that in this forum i dont know if its of topic but i am ready to buy 1 closed back between those 3 .
What is the closest to HD6 series sennheiser sound ?
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-300-pro

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Over-ear %26 On-ear/AKGK550MKIIIBLK.html

https://www.denon.com/shop/onearheadphone/ahd1200

The models are Sennheiser hd300 pro - AKG K550mk2 and Denon ahd1200
I wanted the price to be close to 150-200 i know that none of them will be HD6 series but does anyone try any of them to tell me if they have close signature profile ?

May 2, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #5,905 of 9,618
^In that price range there’s only two headphones I’d consider close to the Sennie tuning aka somewhat neutral without any nasty surprises in the treble, and that is the AKG K371 and the KRK KNS6400. I own one of the AKGs myself and am absolutely smitten by it:)
The only other headphone I can think of this minute is the Focal Elegia...but that’s way outside your budget.

May 2, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #5,906 of 9,618
I think the Audioquest Nightowl (selling around EUR 300 new, if you can still find it) is a good closed-back. I listen to it in the late evenings after a whole day of listening to the 660s and it doesn't disappoint. It's not the 6-series sound exactly, but good enough for a closed-back.

It's not the Nighthawk sound, and you have various high-profile reviewers who (I think) have been using it for a long time. (Darko, Mediahound)

May 2, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #5,907 of 9,618
^In that price range there’s only two headphones I’d consider close to the Sennie tuning aka somewhat neutral without any nasty surprises in the treble, and that is the AKG K371 and the KRK KNS6400. I own one of the AKGs myself and am absolutely smitten by it:)
The only other headphone I can think of this minute is the Focal Elegia...but that’s way outside your budget.
Focal Clears and hd800s are something that would love to buy but very expensive for me now i love theae open backs.
About close back i think i will go to.listen akg 371 because another one told me the same.

May 2, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #5,908 of 9,618
Using IEMs is not blasphemous at all. I use the Sennheiser IE800 on the go a lot. They match the HD660 HD800 sound very well. As long as you have a proper seal, which I have. But for office use I need a cover er closed back. I need to be able to RIP it off my head whenever a colleague or a Skype call needs to be answered quickly. That is always a hassle with IEMs. Plus you cannot eat while wearing IEMs the chewing translates to remarkable sound disturbance via them.

May 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #5,909 of 9,618
I have thr chance of buying a pair of 1 year old HD660S in mint condition for 180 euros. Do you guys think its worth it? Specially since i already have the hd6xx.

To be honest i actually even liked the 600 more than the 6xx because it sounded more forward and agressive but o had to sell them because they caused me tinitus after a short period of listening.

But if these are somewhere in the middle....

What do you guus think?

May 3, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #5,910 of 9,618
I have thr chance of buying a pair of 1 year old HD660S in mint condition for 180 euros. Do you guys think its worth it? Specially since i already have the hd6xx.

To be honest i actually even liked the 600 more than the 6xx because it sounded more forward and agressive but o had to sell them because they caused me tinitus after a short period of listening.

But if these are somewhere in the middle....

What do you guus think?
Very good price. I would give it a go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back