Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 20, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #5,073 of 9,611
That's a really good price. At 313 euro it is even cheaper than the cheapest older model 660S, which was selling for about 365 euro this summer. I called them and they don't ship outside of Romania unfortunately.

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #5,074 of 9,611
Absolutely, they are the same headphone. Personally I prefer the old aesthetics, but I’m sure that’s just me......!
It's not just you :wink:. The squared-off, boxy look of the new model just doesn't do it for me. I prefer the smoother, more rounded contours of the original model. The original version just looks sleeker and more "aerodynamic" (for lack of a better term).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #5,075 of 9,611
Been grabbing the 660s over the HE500 consistently over the past couple if weeks. The 660s has become my everyday listen. It’s just got so much going for it, just enough bass, great detail, excellent mids, good stage, comfy and easy to drive. Hard to go wrong w the 660s
Thanks buddy, for your soo +ve views, just ordered one for me. Too excited

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #5,076 of 9,611
I have received a new cable to replace the extremely long 4.4mm cable that came with the 660 S. Not only is it beautiful, the improvement in sound is mind-boggling. Generally, sound improvements with cables are subtle, but this time, it's quite noticeable. More space between instruments, bigger soundstage, incredible clarity. It's almost like having new headphones. The Cable is the ZMF Michanikos. ZMF is a company that makes incredible headphones (if you have an amp powerful enough to drive them) and side products like this cable. And the quality of their packaging is almost as spectacular as the quality of their products. I am very happy right now.

Hello dear
Which sony DAP are you using as source in the picture above.

Going by the looks, doesn't looks like it has a powerful amplifier inside, I am amazed u are still able to enjoy 660S with it. Now i think we unnecessarily spend too much on DAP's.

Nov 20, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #5,077 of 9,611
Hello dear
Which sony DAP are you using as source in the picture above.

Going by the looks, doesn't looks like it has a powerful amplifier inside, I am amazed u are still able to enjoy 660S with it. Now i think we unnecessarily spend too much on DAP's.
It's the ZX300. I'm on the 4.4mm balanced output on high gain. I generally listen between 65 and 70 out of 120 (max on the Sony). the ZX300, which doesn't have much power compared to other DAPs, drives the HD660S masterfully. In terms of power output, it does it as well as when driving my Empire Ears Bravado IEMs. And I prefer the sound of the Sennheiser by a mile, as it has a more civilized (some say neutral :D) sound compared to the Empire Ears–they're certainly more fun, but also slightly fatiguing.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #5,078 of 9,611
Yes you have pointed correctly as I have been shouting for some time now!
THIS ARE THE BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY!!!
believe it or not.
If u can elaborate a bit more for the novices like me, it will be quite helpful.
Thanks

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #5,079 of 9,611
The HD660S can be easily be considered end game headphones for a lot of people out there that they don't have to sell a kidney to buy a decent TOTL headphone.

They are very competent from a technical point of view , the tonality is done right amongst the best out there , they can be used from decent portable devices and they scale quite well if you have something better but no need to go for exotic gear to make this sound good.
Build quality is excellent , cables included , comfort is top notch.

Well at an average price of 380€ I believe that this is the high end bargain of the century.
So simple.

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #5,082 of 9,611
660S is my endgame and I'm focusing on my other hobbies now.

Interesting that you own the HD800S and say this about the 660S. I owned the HD800 and eventually found that I listened to my HD650 and 600 more. I attributed this to the 800's treble spike.

Any chance you had the HD800 before the 800S? If so, I'd be curious to hear your impressions especially in light of you liking the 660S more. They'll probably save me from purchasing the 800S! :wink:

I have been light hearted....and unfaithful...
Been tempted by the devil itself....

I found a very good deal on Focal Clear's pro and I ordered a pair to compare.

Looking forward to your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #5,083 of 9,611
May I chime in as an x-owner of both 800 and 800S.

Despite the technical superiority of the 800S and it's life like dynamics and great soundstage I ended preferring the 660S because of it's better more natural tonality.
Simply put it instruments timbre and tone are better defined more close to the real thing or if you prefer to a good speaker in a well dampened room.
So the HD660S is more enjoyable on the long run just sounding spot on.

Got tired of exploring gear and paying a lot to fix the HD800S obvious flaw's to learn at the end that well guess , can't be fixed.

The same fate is awaiting the Clear if they don't sound tonally correct right of the bat.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #5,084 of 9,611
May I chime in as an x-owner of both 800 and 800S.

Despite the technical superiority of the 800S and it's life like dynamics and great soundstage I ended preferring the 660S because of it's better more natural tonality.
Simply put it instruments timbre and tone are better defined more close to the real thing or if you prefer to a good speaker in a well dampened room.
So the HD660S is more enjoyable on the long run just sounding spot on.

Got tired of exploring gear and paying a lot to fix the HD800S obvious flaw's to learn at the end that well guess , can't be fixed.

Makes sense...
I'm not really one for doing mods so will probably pass on the 800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back