Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #5,056 of 9,618
Sitting here listening to Quincy Jones, Back On The Block, an album which you’d expect to sound better on the HD660S than the HD650 if ever there was one! And, it does!

Im using my iPod / Fostex HP-P1 set up. The differences could be less obvious on a better amp, but there’s no doubt that on that gear it’s all the Hd660S’s way! I previously described the HD650 as ‘soft and muddy’ sounding by comparison. I would actually want to retract the ‘muddy’ adjective. To be honest I’ve never found the (my) HD650 to be muddy, but I think ‘soft’ sounding is a good description and I might go so far as to say a bit ‘mushy’ at times by comparison. Initially the HD650 always sounds more pleasing in some ways, but I consistently find that the sound becomes a bit boring fairly quickly whereas the HD660S, whilst sounding somewhat dryer, and yes, I would say more neutral, sounds more interesting and involving the more one listens.

This is nothing new, I know, having been reported in a similar way by many people here, but I thought I’d add my two cents!
Really enjoying rediscovering a lot of music that I’ve had no insensitive to listen to for a long time! :)

To me it’s the HD 650 growing a bit boring overtime is why I often let go of them in the past. The HD 660 S on the other hand was one of the most addicting headphones I’ve owned in the long run, one of the only other headphones I found that addicting would be the T1.2. Most everything else is kinda boring to listen to after a headphone that is high on the engagement factor. It’s hard to pin down exactly what makes a headphone involving and addicting to listen to, but I find it special when a headphone has it.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #5,057 of 9,618
To me it’s the HD 650 growing a bit boring overtime is why I often let go of them in the past. The HD 660 S on the other hand was one of the most addicting headphones I’ve owned in the long run, one of the only other headphones I found that addicting would be the T1.2. Most everything else is kinda boring to listen to after a headphone that is high on the engagement factor. It’s hard to pin down exactly what makes a headphone involving and addicting to listen to, but I find it special when a headphone has it.

Absolutely. I think the thing that may be the HD660’s biggest asset, when comparing to almost anything else, is that it manages to be neutral and non-fatiguing as well as accurate and involving, all at the same time. Quite a feat!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #5,058 of 9,618
Absolutely. I think the thing that may be the HD660’s biggest asset, when comparing to almost anything else, is that it manages to be neutral and non-fatiguing as well as accurate and involving, all at the same time. Quite a feat!

I think it is as well. I find it takes the HD 600/650 sound signature and adds better PRaT(something I felt Sennheiser often struggled with, large reason I usually prefer Beyers to Senns). To me the HD 660 S was a headphone that took a month or two to fully appreciate. But to me, all the headphones I enjoyed the most tend to take a while to fully appreciate.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #5,059 of 9,618
To me the HD 660 S was a headphone that took a month or two to fully appreciate. But to me, all the headphones I enjoyed the most tend to take a while to fully appreciate.

This! How true. I found the HD660S unimpressive at first, and still, when changing between the HD660S and the HD650 I often initially find the HD650 more appealing, but after a few minutes it seems lacking. Conversely, when I go to the HD660S from the HD650 I often feel somewhat disappointed at first but after a short time I find the music drawing me in and I start to hear things that the HD650 just seems gloss over or slightly obscure.

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #5,060 of 9,618
This! How true. I found the HD660S unimpressive at first, and still, when changing between the HD660S and the HD650 I often initially find the HD650 more appealing, but after a few minutes it seems lacking. Conversely, when I go to the HD660S from the HD650 I often feel somewhat disappointed at first but after a short time I find the music drawing me in and I start to hear things that the HD650 just seems gloss over or slightly obscure.
I went through exactly the same process, as you know, with almost returning it a couple times. Glad I kept them!

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #5,061 of 9,618
Hello everyone,
just a question, since the "old" and 2019 version of the HD660s share the same driver and there have been only some cosmetic changes done, how is it possible that the new version has a broader frequency range (9 - 41500 Hz vs 10 - 41000 Hz)? Does it affect the sound in any way though?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #5,062 of 9,618
Hello everyone,
just a question, since the "old" and 2019 version of the HD660s share the same driver and there have been only some cosmetic changes done, how is it possible that the new version has a broader frequency range (9 - 41500 Hz vs 10 - 41000 Hz)? Does it affect the sound in any way though?

Lol. I really hope you're not serious about those numbers. If that's the case, don't buy this because the numbers will be unfair to your ears.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #5,063 of 9,618
Lol. I really hope you're not serious about those numbers. If that's the case, don't buy this because the numbers will be unfair to your ears.

I see your point, but his question is relevant from the following perspective: it has been claimed that the change is only an aesthetic one. So why the new frequency range? Has the driver been changed slightly? I would be interested to hear, because while we may not care about the new frequencies, we may care about it if the tuning at other frequencies has been (slightly) altered, on purpose or as a by-product of small changes elsewhere.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #5,064 of 9,618
I see your point, but his question is relevant from the following perspective: it has been claimed that the change is only an aesthetic one. So why the new frequency range? Has the driver been changed slightly? I would be interested to hear, because while we may not care about the new frequencies, we may care about it if the tuning at other frequency has been (slightly) altered, on purpose or as a by-product of small changes elsewhere.

I’ve heard four HD660S and one of those was the new version. They all sounded very slightly different but the new one wasn’t more different than the others, if you see what I mean.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #5,065 of 9,618
I’ve heard four HD660S and one of those was the new version. They all sounded very slightly different but the new one wasn’t more different than the others, if you see what I mean.

Thanks. Crazy hobby and insane meeting place this forum that someone having heard 4 (!) units can chime in.

So aesthetics aside you would not hesitate to get the new model?

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #5,066 of 9,618
BC998374-3D71-4853-9C17-C30101F5BE23.jpeg

So, I’m home for a few days and yesterday evening I had time to do some listening on my HDVD800. I was using a different HD660S from the one I originally had and was comparing it to my other HD650. There are no big differences between the various headphones of the same model, but there are subtle differences nonetheless. However, whether it’s because of the different headphones or because my ear has become a accustomed to the sound signature of the HD660S or because I did very little listening with the HDVD800 when I did my original review (or even just the choice of listening material) I don’t know, but last night there is no question that the HD660S was superior to the HD650. It’s actually the first time that I have compared the two and it’s been so clearly the case. Usually the HD650 still has some appeal, but not last night. Curious......

BUT, then I decided to have a listen to my old original HD580 Precision’s. I recently renovated these with new contact springs and headband and ear pads (which are now the same as the ones that come on the HD660S). I also put the CH650S cable on it just for fun. The HD660S and HD650 both have balanced connectors as well but they are Neutrik gold plated four pin connectors on the standard Sennheiser cable. (The CH650S cable is standard as well - just with a very expensive Sennheiser branded four pin plug!). I have to say that I was surprised (to put it mildly) how good the HD580 Precision was. I’ve always loved that headphone and have probably listened to it more than any other headphones I’ve had. The HD600 was a distinct improvement - for about half an hour, and then I put it away in its box and more or less didn’t use it after that (I exaggerate a little of course, but not much!). I could just never get on with the lower treble peek at around 3 to 4 kHz. Then, the HD650 brought back that easy music listening pleasure with some genuine improvements. However, even I, as an ardent HD650 fan, would always admit that it had rather too much upper mid-bass. After last night’s listening session I have the feeling that with the HD660S I’ve come back home! It’s as well balanced as the HD580 Precision but with some distinct improvements to the sound with (at least relative to the other two 6 series headphones) no drawbacks. (The HD800’s just stayed where they were gathering dust! :wink:)

If you have some old HD580 Precisions lying around and an HDVD800 or HDV820, I highly recommend that you put a balanced cable on them and knock your socks off!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #5,068 of 9,618
Thank you all for all the replies:). I was asking out of curiosity, how can the change of eastethics create the change of frequency range, not that I'm expecting to hear the difference between 41000 and 41500 khz or to even hear those haha:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back