Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 27, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #4,021 of 9,618
660 out of the box sounded dry. Wasn’t till 2nd listen did they become more liquid.

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #4,023 of 9,618
Still like 650 more.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #4,025 of 9,618
After buying used hd600(2017) I just sold hd660S. HD600 are so much better in terms of representation of exciting treble: crisp, but not painful sound feels open and pleasant, however I agree with the idea that recessed frequencies above 10k on hd660s make them easy for long term listening. The question is do you want listen to music as it is: with all of its pressure and excitement as author decided or do you want a fluid representation in some(or across multiple in case of hd650) freq areas corrected by headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #4,026 of 9,618
I want something that sounds enjoyable to me, i dont care what the intended sound was and if i did id have Yamaha NS10 nearfield studio monitors, i want rich, smooth and effortless sound i can enjoy for hours without fatigue.

Because of all the hate there are many people who skipped HD660 but when they did purchase them eventually they turned out to be much more enjoyable/better than they expected. Sorry i have to give my honest thoughts and attempt to restore some sort of balance to the official HD660 bashing thread. It appears to me that the majority of HD600/650 lovers who say want an upgrade will never actually be happy with anything else so why bother.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #4,028 of 9,618
Most reviews on the web find HD660S a clear upgrade over HD650/600 in technical terms,frankly too many to count and having listened to HD650 last year i tend to agree.More transparent,tighter bass and more detailed highs.They do need a good dac though,not just amp and they can blow you away with their clarity,imaging and very detailed,smooth and extended treble while being musical but not overly warm and laid back like HD650.Listening to classical with these and SP1000M balanced is a joy.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #4,029 of 9,618
I want something that sounds enjoyable to me, i dont care what the intended sound was and if i did id have Yamaha NS10 nearfield studio monitors, i want rich, smooth and effortless sound i can enjoy for hours without fatigue.

Because of all the hate there are many people who skipped HD660 but when they did purchase them eventually they turned out to be much more enjoyable/better than they expected. Sorry i have to give my honest thoughts and attempt to restore some sort of balance to the official HD660 bashing thread. It appears to me that the majority of HD600/650 lovers who say want an upgrade will never actually be happy with anything else so why bother.

There are a lot of 650 / 600 owners, who do not like anything else, literally I have read some that tried almost every other headphone, but still like the 650 more, I think some people just like the very smooth treble on the 650, also are not bothered about sub bass, I can see why they would not think the 660s is an upgrade, in the same way they do not find other headphones an upgrade, they just like the smooth treble on the 650.

IMO the 660s are good and improve on most of the minor problems that the 650 had, however they do not sound as smooth, so that is probably why HD650 lovers, do not like the HD660s. Some people might find the HD650 a bit slow and boring, these people would probably like the 660s more.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #4,030 of 9,618
I like my 650s a lot, but I just bought the hifiman sundaras, and wow, what an improvement for me. I never knew I was missing that 'exciting' treble. I'm keeping the 650s, but I now think my endgame headphones will be the susvaras or perhaps the hd800s.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #4,032 of 9,618
There's no such thing as an endgame headphone. The best you can hope for is a headphone with as good a set of compromises as possible for your tastes and listening genres. That's why so many people have settled on the HD650. Others are a little better here, a little better there, but most ultimately lack the euphony of the HD650.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #4,033 of 9,618

Actually, producers use (or used to use) NS10's, not because they reproduced the intended sound of the recording, but because they basically sounded ghastly (although largely accurate), so that if they could get a mix to sound good on the NS10's they knew it would sound good on just about anything!

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #4,034 of 9,618
I like my 650s a lot, but I just bought the hifiman sundaras, and wow, what an improvement for me. I never knew I was missing that 'exciting' treble. I'm keeping the 650s, but I now think my endgame headphones will be the susvaras or perhaps the hd800s.

In my opinion it should be all about finding the most pleasing sound to your ear, as you have just found out yourself you like an exciting treble.

We would end up going insane trying to replicate the "artist intended sound" and thats just for one record. It would have to be a perfect replication for every album you own and a schiit ton of flat nearfield monitors to rotate through depending on chosen album.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #4,035 of 9,618
Actually, producers use (or used to use) NS10's, not because they reproduced the intended sound of the recording, but because they basically sounded ghastly (although largely accurate), so that if they could get a mix to sound good on the NS10's they knew it would sound good on just about anything!

Yes i meant just for an acurate representation whether that resulted in an enjoyable sound or not would be down to the person looking for replicating the original sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back