Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 17, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #3,811 of 9,618
If the 650 was a new can from another company, it would currently sit at around $800 to $1200, depending on the size of the manufacturer, accessories, etc.

I think the main problem when people try and compare the HD 650 now is that they understandably tend to pair it with amps which are suitable for similarly priced headphones. If the HD 650 had increased in price over the years to maintain it's place in the market compared to other headphones, in terms of sound quality, it would have a much better standing compared to other new headphones because people would be using the sort of top quality amp that it deserves and needs.

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #3,812 of 9,618
I think the main problem when people try and compare the HD 650 now is that they understandably tend to pair it with amps which are suitable for similarly priced headphones. If the HD 650 had increased in price over the years to maintain it's place in the market compared to other headphones, in terms of sound quality, it would have a much better standing compared to other new headphones because people would be using the sort of top quality amp that it deserves and needs.
This.

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #3,813 of 9,618
I owned both the pre-Fazor LCD-2 (either identical or pretty damn close to the new “Classic”) and the LCD-2.2... I found both headphones to be great, but missing the magical combination of smoothness and airiness that the 650 delivers so well. The Audezes were deep, dark, and very dynamic headphones. In the end, a bit too dynamic for me. Also, while I don’t mind heavy cans, up to say around 400g or so, my LCD 2 was >560g, and a bridge too far.

I can see your problems with it, just wanted to say that the "new" suspension headband does wonders to the weight, don't feel as heavy as they are. Well dynamism is why I love them. Dark and not fatiguing and yet still smooth while still having that spark up top. In the end to each their own, I need to also try the reveal plugin which does apparently very interesting things.

Also for me midrange headphones used to be 100-500 range, but with something like 2C and the whole high end going higher, I feel like the midrange has been broadened to 100-1000 mark. Mostly cause midrange has also gotten so good over the years.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #3,814 of 9,618

A truly insightful post -- thanks. Here then is a consequential question. How much should one spend on regarding amp/dac/dap to make it shine to it's fullest? Would it then cost more than simply buying the 660$

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #3,815 of 9,618
A truly insightful post -- thanks. Here then is a consequential question. How much should one spend on regarding amp/dac/dap to make it shine to it's fullest? Would it then cost more than simply buying the 660$

Others here who have far more experience with different amps will be able to answer that question more fully. I run mine either unbalanced from a Lehmann BCL or balanced from an HDVD 800. Many people prefer the HD 650 with (expensive) tube amps. But the short answer is YES(!), the HD 650 with a suitable amp will most definitely cost more than simply buying the HD 660S.

By all accounts the HD 660S will work better un-amped or with a budget amp than the HD650, so effectively you get more bang for your buck, even though it's more expensive to start with.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #3,816 of 9,618
Others here who have far more experience with different amps will be able to answer that question more fully. I run mine either unbalanced from a Lehmann BCL or balanced from an HDVD 800. Many people prefer the HD 650 with (expensive) tube amps. But the short answer is YES(!), the HD 650 with a suitable amp will most definitely cost more than simply buying the HD 660S.

By all accounts the HD 660S will work better un-amped or with a budget amp than the HD650, so effectively you get more bang for your buck, even though it's more expensive to start with.[/QUOTE

Oh interesting I use the dragonfly red it sounds pretty good

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #3,817 of 9,618
The HD660S is actually very good driven balanced from a Sony WM1A. But that is a very powerfull DAP.

Dec 26, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #3,819 of 9,618
Hello, I'am thinking of buying this pair or the HD650, to pair up with my HD660s. Would the HD660s be a good match with a Marantz HD-DAC1? or should i buy the HD650 instead?
This is a matter of personal taste. The Marantz should be able to drive each of them more than properly. You need to find out for yourself. I own both, prefer the HD660S from my DAP Sony WM1A, the HD650 is permanently hooked up to the Sennheiser HDVA 600 Amp for PC usage like Gaming, videos or music listening. Both are great headphones.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #3,820 of 9,618
This is a matter of personal taste. The Marantz should be able to drive each of them more than properly. You need to find out for yourself. I own both, prefer the HD660S from my DAP Sony WM1A, the HD650 is permanently hooked up to the Sennheiser HDVA 600 Amp for PC usage like Gaming, videos or music listening. Both are great headphones.

Thanks for your reaction. I can get the HD650 voor about 300/325 and the HD660s for around 390, would you say it is worth the difference in price or not?

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #3,821 of 9,618
Thanks for your reaction. I can get the HD650 voor about 300/325 and the HD660s for around 390, would you say it is worth the difference in price or not?
390 is a steal. I paid full retail @ release. I would go for the HD660S then. Can't go wrong.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #3,823 of 9,618
Nope. It's the headphones. It is why I upgraded from the Shure SRH 1840 to the HD 800. But most mid-fi headphones have this problem of grain.
I'm trying to choose between the HD660S and the Shure 1840 and I thought that they are both neutral enough to not cause harsh treble so your comment is confusing, everyone's hearing is different so it's hard to tell if it would be problem for me or not though. I'm about to upgrade from M50x and I listen mainly rock from different eras so I thought that I would try some neutral headphones and mostly these 2 that come up (and available in my country) but I can't audition them in any store nearby so I need to pick and try at home.

I ask others too, anybody who has experience with these 2 headphones? Both are mostly praised but some say that Shure's reliability is questionable, thanks in advance

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #3,824 of 9,618
It really depends on the gear.Hd 660S sounds sublime from 3.5mm SP1000M(waiting for balanced adapter) .Rampant detail and clarity,treble extension through the roof and richness with a slight hint of warmth in the mids,along with bass that is so deep and detailed it is a joy to listen.I can finally enjoy violin and guitar strings without any harshness or grain that were noticeable with lesser gear.If you get the treble matching right,HD 660 S is very very enjoyable.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #3,825 of 9,618
I'm trying to choose between the HD660S and the Shure 1840 and I thought that they are both neutral enough to not cause harsh treble so your comment is confusing, everyone's hearing is different so it's hard to tell if it would be problem for me or not though. I'm about to upgrade from M50x and I listen mainly rock from different eras so I thought that I would try some neutral headphones and mostly these 2 that come up (and available in my country) but I can't audition them in any store nearby so I need to pick and try at home.

I ask others too, anybody who has experience with these 2 headphones? Both are mostly praised but some say that Shure's reliability is questionable, thanks in advance
I tried the shure 1440 and returned those because it just sounded so lean with very little bass - I didn’t get to try the 1840 but I have the HD 660 and it just has more meat; more bass but a really nice midrange with good treble and not sounding harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back