Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #3,496 of 9,585
Smaller driver?

Besides Jude's quote also just came across this...a bit more insight to the 58X driver

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd58x-jubilee-massdrop/
"The driver of the HD660S is slightly larger in diameter so the drivers are definitely not the same. And NO this is not a HD555 driver either. Yes, the same magnet and plastic frame is used (as in many Sennheiser models) but has a VERY different voicecoil (different impedance) and membrane/cone."

The same site also gives instructions for modding also....download the pdf here.....YMMV
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dr7hp34vq11aag/HD58X+evaluation.pdf
"Those looking for a low cost HD660 replacement can be quite happy. The good folks hoping to find a real HD580/HD600 replacement preferably with a 'fixed' bass response and less 'hot' around 4kHzcan also be very happy."

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #3,498 of 9,585
Is the original 4.4mm Balanced cable included with the 660s available to purchase anywhere online?
You might want to call Sennheiser by phone. The website seems to be a little incomplete at times.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #3,499 of 9,585
Got my HD 660S's today. Initial listening impression is this is definitely an HD6XX headphone. It's better sounding than the HD650 I had to my ears. But it's still a warm sounding headphone with better dynamics and better treble. It's a lot easier to drive and I appreciate it. My only caveat so far is about the clamping force. Simply put this headphone clamps like crazy. I'm hoping they loosen up over time.

Another observation is I'm not sure about the scalability of these headphones. They seem to sound better out of lesser amps. I didn't like it straight out of my Hugo 2. But it sounds good out of my Dragonfly Red. If Sennheiser set out to make these easier to drive out of portable sources then mission accomplished. Overall, I think I'm going to enjoy this headphone.

HD 660S.jpg

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #3,500 of 9,585
Got my HD 660S's today. Initial listening impression is this is definitely an HD6XX headphone. It's better sounding than the HD650 I had to my ears. But it's still a warm sounding headphone with better dynamics and better treble. It's a lot easier to drive and I appreciate it. My only caveat so far is about the clamping force. Simply put this headphone clamps like crazy. I'm hoping they loosen up over time.

Another observation is I'm not sure about the scalability of these headphones. They seem to sound better out of lesser amps. I didn't like it straight out of my Hugo 2. But it sounds good out of my Dragonfly Red. If Sennheiser set out to make these easier to drive out of portable sources then mission accomplished. Overall, I think I'm going to enjoy this headphone.

They do loosen up over time, I have no comfort or clamp issues with them anymore, interestingly I got a new HD 650 and some reason I don't think it clamped like my HD 660 S when I first got it.

I have noticed that as well. I generally like the HD 660 S more on more portable systems while I like my HD 650 more on desktop systems. They behave very differently system wise that is for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #3,501 of 9,585
They do loosen up over time, I have no comfort or clamp issues with them anymore, interestingly I got a new HD 650 and some reason I don't think it clamped like my HD 660 S when I first got it.

I have noticed that as well. I generally like the HD 660 S more on more portable systems while I like my HD 650 more on desktop systems. They behave very differently system wise that is for sure.
Good to know. Right now they are really tight. I’m also glad to know I’m not the only one who finds the system matching odd with the HD 660S’s.

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #3,502 of 9,585
Good to know. Right now they are really tight. I’m also glad to know I’m not the only one who finds the system matching odd with the HD 660S’s.

You may need to stretch them out. Yeah, it's as if they sound worse on desktop gear at times. I'm going to need to experiment with some reversible mods to get a better grasp of it's driver. They're not quite as weird as my Q701 system matching wise but are one of the weirdest headphones I've owned in terms of how they respond to the system.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #3,504 of 9,585

A good number of people have said that. To me it's one of the 'carefully' written reviews which have prevented me from pulling the trigger. Lines like this are not exactly high praise:-

'To me the HD650 still is “The King” and of the 6-series I now own the HD600, HD650, HD6XX and HD660 S.'

Jul 3, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #3,505 of 9,585

This part of the review is quite interesting "Especially the bass presence using the balanced output is impressive, but it really affects the mids, voices and treble as well."

I really like how HD 660 S sound when using FiiO Q5 with balanced cable, but I have not really compared the sound when using single ended cable.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #3,506 of 9,585
A good number of people have said that. To me it's one of the 'carefully' written reviews which have prevented me from pulling the trigger. Lines like this are not exactly high praise:-

'To me the HD650 still is “The King” and of the 6-series I now own the HD600, HD650, HD6XX and HD660 S.'

I would get 660s if I followed that review. Review clearly states you can make it sound like hd600 or hd650, which means greater transparency and system dependence.

Can you make 650 sound like hd600 or vice versa? You cannot, even via system matching. Their inherent colouration and limitations always remain.

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #3,507 of 9,585

Where does the grandpa hd580 fit in? Does the 660 beat it?

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #3,508 of 9,585

just stretch it ,, like in the video ,, + store it on a wide stand (large book/block) for few days
it is the most comfortable headphone i have ever owned.

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3,509 of 9,585
just stretch it ,, like in the video ,, + store it on a wide stand (large book/block) for few days
it is the most comfortable headphone i have ever owned.

Yes strech it, but never store it putting pressure on the pads. They will lose their shape too quick. This will happen from using them over time anyways.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,510 of 9,585
Yes strech it, but never store it putting pressure on the oads. They will lose their shape too quick. This will happen from using them over time anyways.
yes correct , this why i said (for few days) for stretching only :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back