Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 19, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,406 of 9,597
The bass seems a bit faster decaying on the hd660s and the midbass a little bit cleaner, but the slight midbass boost is still there.
The hd700 was the worst in this regard, all I could hear was the midbass hump and the 7khz peak, both kicking my eardrums, very unpleasant combination. I'd have taken the 3.5khz boost any day instead.
In fact, the recording matters a lot, 3.5khz can sound harsh on some busy and heavily distorted guitar tracks. Some have sharp sounds at 7khz and a peak there could be fatat. Some may benefit a lot from the midbass boost, others can overwhelm you.

Ain't that the truth! In fact it's probably the most important factor in all this. Then we should just use which ever headphone suits a particular recording, rather than obsessing over which headphone is the best. I know that some people (DavidA for example) more or less do precisely that!

May 19, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,407 of 9,597
Instead of constant swapping, I at least want something that covers as many situations as possible. I just can't be bothered changing headphones constantly between tracks or whatever. If it can only handle specific situations, it ends up collecting dust.

Some things sounded really great with HD 700 while some were really unpleasant. I don't think it's acceptable. So basically I think the headphone is as good as its weakest (or at least average) usage case.

That's just how I think though.

May 19, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #3,408 of 9,597
Instead of constant swapping, I at least want something that covers as many situations as possible. I just can't be bothered changing headphones constantly between tracks or whatever. If it can only handle specific situations, it ends up collecting dust.

Some things sounded really great with HD 700 while some were really unpleasant. I don't think it's acceptable. So basically I think the headphone is as good as its weakest (or at least average) usage case.

That's just how I think though.

Some people want one headphone; some people want a collection. I don't think there is anything wrong with either. But, if you chose the one headphone option, it becomes a lot harder to decide on what to buy and sometimes things other people tolerate will become deal-breakers for you. Personally, I like to have a collection and am happy if a headphone is good and offers something my collection doesn't already have, even if that come with flaws. To each his own.

May 19, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #3,409 of 9,597
I also like to have 2-3 headphones, but I can't change them between tracks or albums, it's too much bother, but I just enjoy their characteristics for various lenghts of time. The thing is I like them to be within 4-5dB of each other at any frequency, otherwise they go in a wrong area. None of the hd6xx models has a deviation more than 4dB of what I consider ideal if I'm forced to keep only one model, at any frequency. They all have boosts and recessions of maximum 4dB at various spots making each ideal for different albums or daily moods. HD700, on the other hand, has more than 15dB difference from the mids recession to the treble spike and almost 15dB from the mids recession to the midbass hump. This doesn't work for any kind of recording or any personal mood for me, it's too far gone. Or maybe works for 1 out of 1000 songs, when they completely lack midbass and lower and midtreble is absent. But even there it doesn't help much, because it doesn't boost all treble, but only a small portion, but to an enormous degree.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #3,410 of 9,597
It has tubes because audiophiles would have had a seizure if it hadn't had. It doesn't mean it's more detailed, accurate or even pleasurable for some. And the Orpheus amp maybe is a lot close to ss amps, who knows? Maybe it wouldn't be fit for a hd700. Some tube amps are very close to ss amps, with flat response and little distortion. The proper way for me is to use an accurate ss with a balanced headphone.

But to tame that nasty peak you have to tamper with neutrality, decrease areas surrounding the peak to -7 or more dB, to compress dynamics, don't know, but as I said, you cannot equalize a sharp 10dB peak with an amp without consequences.

PS: Sennheiser, as any other compamy, first of all, tries to make money, nothing more, nothing less.

I guess the HD660 might have an advantage over the other HD650 because it doesn't need tubes to soften transients...also I think the H650 scalability is total mythology.

I see the HD660 as a potential candidate as the Ultimate Smartphone Headphone period. Because the headphone jack won't go away for a very long time, regardless of Apple... or Google for that matter, believes.

May 20, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #3,411 of 9,597
Having HD600 and HD650 paired with both Jot and DV336, I'm covered though pairing both with DV provides more punch for me for bass.

May 23, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #3,412 of 9,597
these headphones need at least 200 hrs burning to open up .. just started to enjoy them :)

May 24, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #3,414 of 9,597
Or you can soften their pads by hand in minute:smiling_imp:.
interesting , so it will be better after more head time
i was doing the burning with out using it .

May 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #3,415 of 9,597
I don't normally do the burning in myself, I hire a real audiophile for a month or two to do it for me, because I want everything to be perfect. I tried burning them in myself twice and didn't notice any difference and then I decided not to fail anymore burn in's and to hire professionals for the job. Now the burn in is phenomenal, they completely transform.

May 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #3,416 of 9,597
I don't normally do the burning in myself, I hire a real audiophile for a month or two to do it for me, because I want everything to be perfect. I tried burning them in myself twice and didn't notice any difference and then I decided not to fail anymore burn in's and to hire professionals for the job. Now the burn in is phenomenal, they completely transform.
Be careful with the sarcasm, someone might get the wrong idea. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 24, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #3,417 of 9,597
Be careful with the sarcasm, someone might get the wrong idea. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I will offer audiophile burn in, good idea. 1000 € per day.

May 24, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,418 of 9,597
here are good Burn-in CD .. no need to hire anybody ,, its very easy & any one can do it
http://www.analogueseduction.net/burn-in-devices/isotek-system-enhancer-cd.html

May 24, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #3,419 of 9,597
Maybe brain burn in with driver burn in combined has some effect. Hp companies themselves recommend burn in hrs at time.

I have no idea why would anyone dispute recommendations by the manufacturer themselves.

When you buy a new motor bike, do you disregard rpm limits that manufacturer has set for first few 1000 kms?

Designers who make these hps and are paid for their efforts are way more knowledgeable than an average audiophile. Or even a very knowledgeable audiophile.

May 25, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #3,420 of 9,597
I'm pretty sure that Sennheiser pretty much said that it shouldn't make any difference. What does make a real difference is the pads breaking in and adjusting to your head shape. Also headband clamp loosening etc.

Car engine comparisons do not apply headphones or electronics for that matter. Manufacturers do not say that you are supposed to limit fps for the first 30 days...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back