Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #3,061 of 9,618
I think every reviewer said that the build quality is exactly the same like the older siblings. That is simply a fact. Only they are no longer painted. If you treat your gear with some respect it should be a safe buy for you. I have a big noggin too and did not break it yet.

It's identical.

Thank you for the feedback.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #3,062 of 9,618
I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I'm interested in the HD 660 S. Read multiple reviews that have me thinking hard about pulling the trigger. I have zero concerns about the sound and really only concerns about the build quality. The thing that has always kept me from delving into the Sennheiser trough is the use of plastics in the headband. I have a big noggin and I'm afraid I would eventually snap it.

Can anyone say if the build materials in the HD 660 S have changed from the 600 or 650? Particularly with regard to the headband?

Thanks.
I've owned a LOT of way more expensive headphones over the years and think the build quality of the HD6 - - is among the best from a durability and functionality standpoint. Even though it is mostly plastic, everything really works well and makes sense. They never slip out of adjustment, they don't creek or rattle when you move your head, they have very wide adjustability up and down and are very light. I have a somewhat large head, especially the distance from the top of my head to the center of my ears and the HD660S is a great fit.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #3,063 of 9,618
You haven't purchased these yet?
You should.
What you are getting, is basically the HD580 design, with HD700 drivers, that are tweaked to sound like the best sounding HD600 that can possibly be created.
Out of the box, the Mids are among the best on the planet regarding a dynamic open set of headphones.
Soundstage out of the box is decent, and will improve.
I find these snugly comfy, = just keep extending the band till its right for you.
Some have whined that they dont have wall shattering bass, but, if that is your end result preference, you are not really an audiophile :frowning2:, as the audiophile is looking for magical mids, instrument balance, truth in Vocals, and fatigue free listening.
You'll find it here.
TYLL, ... im sorry but you are the guy that liked the original Sennheiser Momentum, and those are not good headphones.
So, that you hate the Send 660s, ....... hummm, .... is there a pattern emerging whereby you misread the Sennheiser Family bible?

These are really really good dynamic headphones.
Balanced, excellent detail but not bright, and the mids are stunning.
Im currently trying to upload a photo of mine, but, its a big file, and if it does not make it unto the post, ... thats life.
These are really really good sounding Headphones.

-

Attachments

• Senn-660s.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #3,065 of 9,618
You haven't purchased these yet?
You should.
What you are getting, is basically the HD580 design, with HD700 drivers, that are tweaked to sound like the best sounding HD600 that can possibly be created.
Out of the box, the Mids are among the best on the planet regarding a dynamic open set of headphones.
Soundstage out of the box is decent, and will improve.
I find these snugly comfy, = just keep extending the band till its right for you.
Some have whined that they dont have wall shattering bass, but, if that is your end result preference, you are not really an audiophile, as the audiophile is looking for magical mids, instrument balance, truth in Vocals, and fatigue free listening.
You'll find it here.
TYLL, ... im sorry but you are the guy that liked the original Sennheiser Momentum, and those are not good headphones.
So, that you hate the Send 660s, ....... hummm, .... is there a pattern emerging whereby you misread the Sennheiser Family bible?

These are really really good dynamic headphones.
Balanced, excellent detail but not bright, and the mids are stunning.
Im currently trying to upload a photo of mine, but, its a big file, and if it does not make it unto the post, ... thats life.
These are really really good sounding Headphones.

-
I completely agree. The longer I have these the more amazed I am.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #3,066 of 9,618
@FullBright1 , agree that 660s is a good headphone but to me they are over priced at the moment. But for some like me that have a decent/ good OTL amp I'd still take the hd650
-
The HD650s, sound nothing like the HD660s:)
And "overpriced" as compared to what?
The truth is, buying Headphones is a roll of the dice in the dark, and it is difficult to find a great sounding set of (dynamic) headphones, that click all the right boxes, sonically.
I can tell you exactly who wont like these headphones.
Anyone who likes the AT-MRS7's biting treble and "V" shape.
So, as long as that is not your sonic gold standard, and you are actually able to appreciate magical mids and beautiful sweet sound, then, these are, I think, worth every cent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 10, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #3,067 of 9,618
After buying a few expensive headphones, I am venturing into the mid-fi world. Today, I got a new hd600. After going back and forth with ether c flow, I found they have very different sound. It is quite bright than I thought, sometimes fatiguing. I feel like ether c flow is veiled especially in low treble, which I never expected before. I expected smoother treble, but I can live with it.
What I am bothered is that despite being open, soundstage is too small in terms of both width and depth. Tonality is good, but imaging seems poor. I wonder whether hd660 be a big jump from hd600. I am already contemplating if I need to test hd660s.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #3,068 of 9,618
After buying a few expensive headphones, I am venturing into the mid-fi world. Today, I got a new hd600. After going back and forth with ether c flow, I found they have very different sound. It is quite bright than I thought, sometimes fatiguing. I feel like ether c flow is veiled especially in low treble, which I never expected before. I expected smoother treble, but I can live with it.
What I am bothered is that despite being open, soundstage is too small in terms of both width and depth. Tonality is good, but imaging seems poor. I wonder whether hd660 be a big jump from hd600. I am already contemplating if I need to test hd660s.
If you’re looking for mid-fi, I’d suggest avoiding the HD660S because it’s very, very hi-fi.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #3,070 of 9,618
-
The HD650s, sound nothing like the HD660s:)
And "overpriced" as compared to what?
The truth is, buying Headphones is a roll of the dice in the dark, and it is difficult to find a great sounding set of (dynamic) headphones, that click all the right boxes, sonically.
I can tell you exactly who wont like these headphones.
Anyone who likes the AT-MRS7's biting treble and "V" shape.
So, as long as that is not your sonic gold standard, and you are actually able to appreciate magical mids and beautiful sweet sound, then, these are, I think, worth every cent.
After visiting a friend a few times to listen to his HD660S on various gear I found them to be just a bit metallic/digital sounding at times with some tracks on some amps. The HD650 while not as good technically is a bit smoother but can get overly warm with some gear where the bass is muddy and treble too rolled off. To me the HD660S is between the HD600 and HD650 but closer to the HD600 due to the slightly brighter presentation. My take of the HD660S is its great for those that don't want to deal with a amp/tubes but for those that have some nice OTL amps the HD650 might still be a better sounding headphone and even before Tyll posted his impression I has similar thoughts of the HD660S and I'm one that doesn't agree with him a lot of times, ie: I love my RS2e and Ypsilon R1.

When I say "overpriced" its in comparison to the HD6XX & HD58X for less than half the price, my custom Ypsilon R1 which can be built for about $350, and even the HE560 which can be found for $350 these days.

And I agree that buying headphones in a roll of the dice for most, but I've been lucky to have some friends who have a lot of spare change to get audio gear that I only dream of so I've gotten to hear some nice stuff over the past few years.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #3,071 of 9,618
After visiting a friend a few times to listen to his HD660S on various gear I found them to be just a bit metallic/digital sounding at times with some tracks on some amps. The HD650 while not as good technically is a bit smoother but can get overly warm with some gear where the bass is muddy and treble too rolled off. To me the HD660S is between the HD600 and HD650 but closer to the HD600 due to the slightly brighter presentation. My take of the HD660S is its great for those that don't want to deal with a amp/tubes but for those that have some nice OTL amps the HD650 might still be a better sounding headphone and even before Tyll posted his impression I has similar thoughts of the HD660S and I'm one that doesn't agree with him a lot of times, ie: I love my RS2e and Ypsilon R1.

When I say "overpriced" its in comparison to the HD6XX & HD58X for less than half the price, my custom Ypsilon R1 which can be built for about $350, and even the HE560 which can be found for $350 these days.

And I agree that buying headphones in a roll of the dice for most, but I've been lucky to have some friends who have a lot of spare change to get audio gear that I only dream of so I've gotten to hear some nice stuff over the past few years.
On the other hand, for me the 660S is better than the Focal Clear at $1500.00 and the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open at $800.00 so it’s a steal at $500.00.

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #3,072 of 9,618
On the other hand, for me the 660S is better than the Focal Clear at $1500.00 and the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open at $800.00 so it’s a steal at $500.00.

Well said! Too bad, many so called "Audiophile" don't feel this way.
To them, those more expensive stuffs should sounds better than HD660S. They rated equipment by the price of it.

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #3,073 of 9,618
If you’re looking for mid-fi, I’d suggest avoiding the HD660S because it’s very, very hi-fi.

Thanks for the heads ups. I was really looking for something mediocre at best, preferably overpriced as well. I prefer harsh, strident, glaring treble with lots of peaks, muddy, bloated one-note bass, and basically no mids at all. :laughing:

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,075 of 9,618
I personally think that the hd660s lost a lot of the hd650's sound quality due to its decreased impedance.

The changes to the HD 660S driver is a lot more complicated than an impedance change. Having a headphone that allows me to adjust the magnet distance from the voice coil has told me a lot about the behavior of transducers. You can massively alter the sound simply by slightly adjusting the magnet position for example. Every little change to the driver assembly will alter the sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back