Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #1,216 of 9,585
Yes, I do. The earpads on the HD650 are 2-3mm compressed within 2-3 months (when I changed them). They couldn't have been smaller, the difference is too small if you factor in the compression. And I know for sure they compressed, since they had a narrow hard edge that flattened a bit.
The shock is the sound. I thought they would sound different, but they're 98-99% the same. I was fascinated by how 2 headphones with such a similar frequency response can sound so different (based on the reviews). Now I see it's not really the case. And I'm not deaf, I mean...I can tell a Beyer or a HD700 from the HD650 even without putting them on my head, just from 1m away (figure of speech :p ) and the difference was like immense when I tried them. Now I can spot a 1-2% on some tracks.
I hope Senn didn't juggle with the drivers, like a lot of people found out in the past (HD600s and HD650s having the same driver or with drivers with "hd580" printed on them). But I don't think so, the back looks like a HD700 driver back. But at the same time I don't know if the same back can be used for different drivers.
It's not that I'm disappointed. I mean...I am somehow, but not with the sound itself, since I was going to buy a new HD650 as a spare anyway, but I'm more puzzled. Oh, and there's the money aspect too, I could have gotten the HD650 for nearly half the price.
You think they are similar to the hd650 (latest on e with silver drivers)?wich did you perceived as having more bass and more impact?

@amartignano still loading.....? :D

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,217 of 9,585
Today I did a little comparison between my HD 660 S and my new HD 650.
Conclusion: Both are exceptional headphones - HD 660 S has better instrument separation, more detail and soundstage.
HD 650 has for me better vocals and atmosphere (maybe more realistic sounding?)
IMG_1355.md.jpg

Wich sounded Fuller and more musical to you? Also wich sounded more powerfull if you wanna had fun with something like metal or edm?

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,218 of 9,585
The HD660s have a very little more impact in the bass (about the same bass depth and volume). Also, the 5-6kHz area seems a smidgeon more agressive and visible, but they're both a bit weak beyond 8kHz. Not a 100% price difference, not at all. Only serious A-B'ing can make a difference for me.

Well, one can get a lot more disappointed than this, like when paying top money for something that you really don't like. And I like the HD650, only wished a little more brightness and edginess but without the huge sound quality disadvantages of other treble-peaky headphones (Beyer, HD700/800) and without the comfort issues of most headphones I tried. So, HD650 was the best for me and HD660s can be the best from now on, but not a lot better (or different) than HD650.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,219 of 9,585
Wich sounded Fuller and more musical to you? Also wich sounded more powerfull if you wanna had fun with something like metal or edm?
HD 650 is more fuller and musical than HD 660 S but on the other hand HD 660 S has more detail and soundstage and its easier to drive.
I love them both actually.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #1,220 of 9,585
To me the HD660S and the HD650 sound totally different. And I have both. And that was on first listen. 50% different at least.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #1,221 of 9,585
The HD660s have a very little more impact in the bass (about the same bass depth and volume). Also, the 5-6kHz area seems a smidgeon more agressive and visible, but they're both a bit weak beyond 8kHz. Not a 100% price difference, not at all. Only serious A-B'ing can make a difference for me.

Well, one can get a lot more disappointed than this, like when paying top money for something that you really don't like. And I like the HD650, only wished a little more brightness and edginess but without the huge sound quality disadvantages of other treble-peaky headphones (Beyer, HD700/800) and without the comfort issues of most headphones I tried. So, HD650 was the best for me and HD660s can be the best from now on, but not a lot better (or different) than HD650.
I drive them balanced from my SONY WM1A. Use the same cable to compare with the HD650. Seems I have a setup that does the Hd660s justice.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #1,223 of 9,585
the 660s was designed to produce almost the exact same measurements as the 650. it shouldn't sound all that different and it doesn't, TG

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,224 of 9,585
Or even an HD6xx without the disgusting chipping grey glossy thing on them. Now I feel like I paid 100% more just not to have the paint falling off and not to have headphones that look like salvaged from the thrash bin.

I find it puzzling that so many people have commented about paint chipping off their headphones. I suppose they must be using them as on-the-go headphones which will subject them to more (mis)handling and abuse. My HD650's look as new as when I bought them 3 years ago but I only use them for home use. I can't understand why anyone would use the open backed Sennheisers for on-the-go? It just doesn't make much sense, they aren't portable at all and don't fold for easy transport. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,225 of 9,585
Since when does the frequency response completely cover the sound of a pair of headphones? If someone gave me a pair of HD660S, I would happily keep it. An HD650 I would sell. That's how different they sound.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,226 of 9,585
i don't think anyone said 'frequency response completely covers the sound' of headphones.. i certainly didn't say that

Since when does the frequency response completely cover the sound of a pair of headphones? If someone gave me a pair of HD660S, I would happily keep it. An HD650 I would sell. That's how different they sound.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,227 of 9,585
I find it puzzling that so many people have commented about paint chipping off their headphones. I suppose they must be using them as on-the-go headphones which will subject them to more (mis)handling and abuse. My HD650's look as new as when I bought them 3 years ago but I only use them for home use. I can't understand why anyone would use the open backed Sennheisers for on-the-go? It just doesn't make much sense, they aren't portable at all and don't fold for easy transport. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

They simply chip. Mine chipped and haven't used it other than at my desk and always put them on the carped, never on hard surfaces. And I've seen 3-4 the same and chipped. It's something to do with stretching, I guess. If you stretch the plastic part, even a bit, the paint chips.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,228 of 9,585
i don't think anyone said 'frequency response completely covers the sound' of headphones.. i certainly didn't say that
I suppose I took measurements to mean frequency response when you said this:
the 660s was designed to produce almost the exact same measurements as the 650. it shouldn't sound all that different and it doesn't, TG
So let me revise my question: Since when do measurements completely cover the sound of a pair of headphones?

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,229 of 9,585
why do want me to defend something i didn't actually say? i said it doesn't sound all that different. that's what i hear. that's my opinion. we all hear differently dude, so it's natural that we'd say different things about the same pair of headphones

I suppose I took measurements to mean frequency response when you said this:

So let me revise my question: Since when do measurements completely cover the sound of a pair of headphones?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #1,230 of 9,585
They simply chip. Mine chipped and haven't used it other than at my desk and always put them on the carped, never on hard surfaces. And I've seen 3-4 the same and chipped. It's something to do with stretching, I guess. If you stretch the plastic part, even a bit, the paint chips.

Ah so you must be referring to the headband then? I don't have a big head so I've never experienced the "death grip" clamping factor that so many others have complained about. I have never needed to stretch my headphones. I think it's been mentioned numerous times on this thread that the arms need to be fully extended and then the stretching (or light bending) is supposed to be done on the metal extensions and NOT on the headband itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back