Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,126 of 9,597
Tyll has an über-idiosyncrasy for peaks or ringing in mid highs or highs region, so while I love his reviews and find them very useful, I know that some headphone he dislikes can be for me very good sounding, despite some flaw (see Hd700 or T90). Once the bias is known, however, no problem.

Oh by the way... my paid Hd660S is still missing in action.

Tyll personally didn't care much for the Hifiman HE-6 or HE-560 either because of their treble.
I was never bothered by the treble of either one of them.
It was kind of odd that he never really had any real issues with the Sennheiser HD800 treble for a long time.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,127 of 9,597
Looking forward to your impressions @amartignano once you have the 660S in hand.

I have an idea of what they are going to sound like based on some inferences, I'm familiar with the driver and the HD650 platform. I'm almost 100% positive I'd love them.

I've liked a wide-range of what Sennheiser offers - from HD800, HD650, HD700, HD25, HD250, Amperior, all the way to consumer sets like their new HD4.30, HD598, HD569, HD201.
All of the headphones I listed above are markedly different, and while they have hallmarks of Sennheiser's approach - they all offer something unique.

@Pedro Oliveira, I've probably said this, but if you spot a vintage HD250 Linear for around $125-150 USD (or higher depending on condition) it is well worth it. There are 300ohm and 600ohm (I own this one) versions so both will require some amping though I have no problem with my 02 (configured for higher gain but default should be fine). If you like the natural mid-range of the 600/650 but want more bass and a bit more splash on the high-end, this has it. Think of it as a full-sized HD25 that is spacious, and full-ranged, but has that perfect balance. It is much fuller-bodied than the HD700 and I'll defer it is likely more 'correct' as are the HD650s and likely the HD660S. It actually offers in some way a very spacious and room-tuned experience thanks to its DF tuning. It will be great for the music styles you listed like Ajunabeats and is non-fatiguing. The HD700 I'd say can work very well with some electronic, but you are listening to it at a lower level, fine if you are doing other tasks. The HD700 is awesome, but its hard to say if you'd like it. If you told me you listen to moviescore and classical a lot I'd say go for it. If you want a can that gets you more involved with more beat oriented music the HD250 is it. For that matter is excellent with all music styles and one of my all-time Sennheiser favourites. Would also recommend the AH-D2000 which has yummier bass than the 700, 650, and goes deeper in sub-bass than the 250. I'd also recommend the AH-D2000 and its brethren if you want some real fun for electronic music - it is about indulgence afterall :0

A bit more reference for you Pedro. Listening to Keeno 'Futurist' an extremely well-produced drum'n'bass artist, this track has piano, spacious pads and a very aggressive low-end bite.

HD250 - plenty of growl on the low-end, but it never overtakes the rest. Hats and piano are very clear. Snare room reverb sounds realistic.

HD700 - weird..., okay, can sound hollow coming from the linear 250, but still full. Takes a bit to adjust to the sound. Really opens up, and the technical advances in clarity from that 80s headphone set are pretty clear. Lower-end of the piano has a some real sympathetic resonance to it. Bass is set back but clear. The pads just wash over your ears, and you can hear the faintest sounds against the backdrop. But the HD700 might be a different experience on a tube amp. Myself I prefer my 700 straight, no chaser so solid state is my pref.

Denon D2000 - piano is a bit gelled but has body. Compared to both above, you are already hearing some lower-end sub bass rumbles in the ambience that weren't apparent. Still spacious sounding not like the HD700 and not as realistic as the HD250 but very good. Highs are actually more splashy and livelier than 700 or 250. While the sub-bass is more articulate than either 250 or 700, the 250 actually has a large volume of bass. Though the Denon can arguably be pushed into a basshead territories (it has great power handling where as the 250 can't be boosted) by default tuning it is somewhat light on bass, just very extended (no mid-bass hump like the 650). I'd say just for a relaxed listen, the D2000 is pretty amazing. Absolutely stellar for dnb like Keeno. Back in the day the D2000 and HD650 were oft recommended as complimentary cans and for good reason.

Lastly LCD2 - oh my. See this is why I own all of these cans, but really the LCD2 does a bit of everything from above and with class. I'd seriously consider looking into the LCD2C especially if you want better bass performance from your open backs. For rock, chamber classical, and definitely electronic the LCD2 is incredible. Sub-bass clarity surpasses the rest of my cans. When listening to the drops on Keeno, they just go all the way down into the nether. :)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,129 of 9,597
Another review is up: ........
Except for the sound staging the review more or less mirrors my previous impressions but with the HD700...."The HD 660 S definitely has extra sparkle in the high-end, something which is truly spine-tingling".....The HD 660 S bass is just that bit more refined and controlled."...so obviously the new driver at work...which is a good thing... : )

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #1,132 of 9,597
I'm really looking forward to trying the HD660S, but I'll wait until the price drops to around $350. Relative to the price of the HD650 (commonly available for $315, though sometimes as low as $275) and the HD700 (often available for $400 or less), a price between the two would be fair.

I already have the HD580, HD600, HD650 and HD800S - so I'd be crazy to spend $500 for what many consider to be minor upgrade to the HD650.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,133 of 9,597
Shouldn’t really rely on professional reviews to sway ones decision, they can be informative but shouldn’t be the definitive means with regards to choice.

I can respect Tyll’s observations but not necessarily agree on his subjective opinions…to me the HD700s were a breath of fresh air in their sound presentation and IMHO made my HD580/600s fairly dated and they continued to be my main cans for a few years, even the HD800 came and went.

The HD800S eventually replaced them but never really duplicated the 700s unique sound signature…. for whatever reason I did eventually add the 650s again as a secondary option but still they never did get much head time as they differed too greatly from the 800s sound signature and so I’ve just recently let them go.

It comes down to personal preferences, I much more prefer an out of head experience most of the time and the HD600 series always bothered me that way, I guess I just do not like singers whispering in my ear…lol.

Having said that not all recordings are suitable nor intended for phones that strive to produce a wider and out of head experience such as the 800 and 700s so I’m looking forward to give the 660s a shot, they should from what I’m reading offer a complementary view without overly changing the tonal signature when swapping between my 800S.

Also contrary to popular opinion the HD700s were not totally ostracized, Amazon reviews may be frowned upon and seen as opinions from those who do not know any better, but to me that’s just a form of elitism, and their positive reviews currently way out number the negatives 183 to 23, and those who do appreciate the 700 really do like like them and unfortunately many of the negative comments were in fact parroting from those who in fact never had actually heard them.

Bottom line, the HD600 series do sound very good over all, have stood the test of time.....are a safe easy listen for those hate to be confronted by any nastiness and will be better suited for long listening sessions but ....my HD580/600 always put me to sleep, the current 650s I found were better..... and in contrast the 700s were always made me sit up and listen...I'm hoping the 660S will have inherited a bit of that. : )
Aye, but inner fidelity does have HD 595 measurements, so it's easier to compare against them. Opinions are always subjective and everyone prefers different things. I have access to HD 598 so I know how they sound (it's completely different animal and it shows in the frequency response measurements). It helps with my decision a bit since I know I don't really like how HD 598 sounds like (sounds muddy or too veiled compared to HD 595). Also HD 598 sounds like things are in front of you and more in your head, with HD 595 it's more like things are around you.

I'd like to know which way HD 660 S leans to. Also comfort wise HD 700 probably wins too, which is definitely an advantage. What I'm scared about HD 6xx series is the "veil" and if the soundstage is more in your head type. I kinda know what kind of sound I want and which way to go but I have no idea where HD 660 S sits.

HD 700:
hd700tukgc.png

HD 595 (that peak around 9K is non-issue to me):
hd595x1ktw.png

I'm not expert at reading these charts at all, but to me it looks like the highs a

HD 598:
hd59805kmb.png

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #1,134 of 9,597
@Anarion, did you say that the HD598 sounds "veiled" to you compared to the HD595? I'd never consider the HD598 to be "veiled" and when I had the HD598 (gave it to an old GF) it was quite bright, brighter than the HD600 (sold) which also irritated me at times with its treble peak. The HD598 also had a better sound stage to me relative to the HD600/HD650 but less than the HD700 and the peaks in the HD700 while higher up in frequency than the HD600 don't bother me at all, never really noticed the 6Khz peak, probably due to a good choice of amp to pair with them.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #1,137 of 9,597
@Anarion, did you say that the HD598 sounds "veiled" to you compared to the HD595? I'd never consider the HD598 to be "veiled" and when I had the HD598 (gave it to an old GF) it was quite bright, brighter than the HD600 (sold) which also irritated me at times with its treble peak. The HD598 also had a better sound stage to me relative to the HD600/HD650 but less than the HD700 and the peaks in the HD700 while higher up in frequency than the HD600 don't bother me at all, never really noticed the 6Khz peak, probably due to a good choice of amp to pair with them.
So based on that I might enjoy HD 700 more (assuming that HD 660 S is similar to HD 6x0 series). Sound stage is something that I do not want to sacrifice and if the HD 598 sounded brighter than HD 600...

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #1,138 of 9,597
Well, we don't even have the privilege pay them around here yet :frowning2: At least you got to pay them.

My Hd660S was delivered!! :gs1000smile: I hope to listen to them next monday!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #1,140 of 9,597

Users who are viewing this thread

Back