Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 26, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #556 of 9,597
The only review so far is that DIY link posted earlier. I am sure there will be several professional reviews in the upcoming weeks. I would expect the reviews to be uniformly positive given the reputation of the HD650. It's not like a revolutionary headphone coming out or a new product from an upstart company. The HD650 is a legend. Sennheiser is not going to be mess with the tried and true formula too much, and it's reasonable to assume that they will only improve on the 650.

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #557 of 9,597
He’s entitled to his opinion. But I still say it’s ridiculous. That’s my opinion. Not his opinion, but his parameters that he used to base his opinion. He names like 3 things that the HEK does better but then says the 660 is better because it has the same elevated midrange of 650. That’s not objective. That’s hype. New toy hype.
I'm another that does not care for the HEK, to me they were boring when I heard them at a friends house, found I liked the HE560 better.

All these "discounts" and cheaper prices is starting to intrigue me to trying the HD660s sooner than later.

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #559 of 9,597
I AM also interested in a hd600 conparison. :)

Pedro ... don't be shy, open your wallet and drop the money on 660S... remember... “Buy a Sennheiser HD660S TODAY because, ONE DAY, you will be dead!"

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #560 of 9,597
Can you please test with this song? One of my favourites in recent days.

That song lacks so much in terms of a test track Imo lol. It’s got a nice rhythm in some parts but generally just a song that is incapable of testing such a refined headphones qualities.

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #561 of 9,597
Can you please test with this song? One of my favourites in recent days.

nice tune but I'd have to say its not much of a track I'd used to "test" with. I did listen with a few headphones and on the HD650 its okay with great vocals but the bass is lacking for this song, better on HD700 with the crisper highs and solid bass, really nice on EL-8 and Ypsilon R1 with solid mids for good vocals, tight detailed bass and a nice sparkle up top.

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #562 of 9,597
Listening to the Corea, Clarke & White "Forever" album. Here on the first acoustical CD, Lenny White the drummer plays the cymbals very delicate. The HD660S renders this in a very special way, all nuances are reproduces perfectly without ever being harsh at all. I hope you can understand what I want to express, as a non native English speaker I sometimes miss some words to express what I feel.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #563 of 9,597
What setup did you use to compare the headphones if you don’t mind me asking? Also how was the 660s in terms of detail? Notice any difference from memory with your old HD650

Yes I would be interested in knowing what amplification is being used when comparing the HD650 with the HD660. Remember that many have said throughout these threads for a very long time that the HD650 can be driven by low-to-mid level amplifiers. While that may be true it has been said over and over that good quality amplification that is well suited to the HD650 will permit the HD650 to demonstrate it's potential. The HD650 is well known to scale with better amplification.

Now remember that the new HD660 is more efficient than the HD650. So I suspect that a low-to-mid amplifier will in all likelihood drive the HD660 better and the sound should be appreciably better than the HD650 which I suspect is being criticized as being muddy and veiled sounding.

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #565 of 9,597
One of my complaints with the 650s was that the bass was a soft and slow
I tend to agree with your statement. I see you have a pair of Amirons, I do too. I think the Amiron has better bass, more treble (it does have a treble spike) without it being harsh. It seems to have better clarity, I would still give the hd650 the advantage with the midrange. Would you mind a quick statement on the Amiron vs HD660 ? Thanks

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #566 of 9,597

True enough, we wouldn't agree with that assertion as it pertains to what we do...

Obviously I can't say anything specific about other products but burn-in definitely is a reality with our products due to the driver design. For dynamic drivers I designed for Platinum Audio it definitely was a thing, there are multiple parts, particularly the surround and spider, which characteristically will loosen up and become a bit more flexible as they're used, which affects multiple system parameters. But the extent to which burn in affects a given product depends on whether the manufacturer burns drivers in or not, the nature of the materials, etc, and there's certainly no "simple answer" that fits all products.

In short, I wouldn't be surprised to hear a dynamic headphone has burn-in, but as usual it can be hard to isolate that from a listener becoming used to the sound signature of a given device and learning to more accurately parse its strengths and weaknesses...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 27, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #570 of 9,597
NVM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back