Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #526 of 9,585
Just to confirm previous posts about stacking discounts in senn webshop and to thank you guys for the info...got it for 380e by applying 2 discount codes, one general found on the internet and second personal discount code offered by webshop during checkout process....they said it's limited quantity at that price

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #527 of 9,585
The difference is sound is very noticeable to me. As was said earlier in the thread, it isn't just about the frequency response, as they are quite similar between the 650 and 660. The 660 has much faster bass, so even if it doesn't go deeper it sounds like it hits harder.

The 660 doesn't try to give the illusion of more detail be accentuating the treble. They just maintain much better composure and separation across the whole frequency spectrum; the bass sounds faster and tighter and they sound less muddled, so you can follow what's going on in the music.

Yes it is clear from your and pietcux description that the hd660 and a gáster and tighter bass.... But in terms of quantity? Wich feels hás thebbassier headphone in all bass variants?

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #528 of 9,585
Just to confirm previous posts about stacking discounts in senn webshop and to thank you guys for the info...got it for 380e by applying 2 discount codes, one general found on the internet and second personal discount code offered by webshop during checkout process....they said it's limited quantity at that price
f-ing serious......???? Thats just more 65 euros than a hd650 on amazon spain (315 is currently the best price i can find for them new). Why senn!!! Why dont you ship to Portugal.....?!?!?!? ;(

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #529 of 9,585
You havê the lastes silver drivers hd650s? Could you please compare with the momentum? Specially the bass (punch and extension)? Clarity, resolution and extension of highs and mids... Wich sounds closer to the hd650 the momentum 1 or 2? I have (had until yesterday) both as well...

Was about to buy the hd650 when i SAE the 660 anouncemet i havê the hd600 and love their resolution, highs and mids but i would like them to sound a bit fuller, went lower.... punch is good but if it punched a tiny bit harder it would not hurt....

Só far the over ear momentum and hd25s are my favourite sound sigs. Fidélio x2 is close as well...

Not sure if you're still interested in this input, but if so:

Yes, I have the (newer) silver-driver HD650s. I would say between M1 and M2, M2 sounds more similar to the 650s, relatively speaking, but that's not to say they sound similar in absolute terms. Open-backed 300 ohm headphones vs. closed-back 18 ohm headphones... pretty different from the get-go.

The HD650s have long been a favorite of mine because of their richness, fullness, lushness. There is great clarity and detail, with delicate treatment of small details, while still having low-end heft. No shrillness to my ear; no pushed highs for "clarity's" sake. Perhaps that's why people have considered them "veiled." Bass extension is good and you can hear everything, but generally speaking there isn't much "physical" impact to the sound. It's a more relaxed sound, rather than being "punchy."

While the Momentums (I'm just going to lump them together) have a similar sound profile to the 650s, they have both more impact and less resolution. Momentums are great headphones by almost every measure, particularly in isolation, but they're considerably less competent than the 650s in basically every way. They have a slightly more consumer-friendly signature, one with less focus on absolutely faithfulness and more focus on being enjoyable/fun.

The 650s would be an upgrade, provided you wouldn't be disappointed with the noticeable decrease in "punch." Hope that helps!

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #530 of 9,585
Not sure if you're still interested in this input, but if so:

Yes, I have the (newer) silver-driver HD650s. I would say between M1 and M2, M2 sounds more similar to the 650s, relatively speaking, but that's not to say they sound similar in absolute terms. Open-backed 300 ohm headphones vs. closed-back 18 ohm headphones... pretty different from the get-go.

The HD650s have long been a favorite of mine because of their richness, fullness, lushness. There is great clarity and detail, with delicate treatment of small details, while still having low-end heft. No shrillness to my ear; no pushed highs for "clarity's" sake. Perhaps that's why people have considered them "veiled." Bass extension is good and you can hear everything, but generally speaking there isn't much "physical" impact to the sound. It's a more relaxed sound, rather than being "punchy."

While the Momentums (I'm just going to lump them together) have a similar sound profile to the 650s, they have both more impact and less resolution. Momentums are great headphones by almost every measure, particularly in isolation, but they're considerably less competent than the 650s in basically every way. They have a slightly more consumer-friendly signature, one with less focus on absolutely faithfulness and more focus on being enjoyable/fun.

The 650s would be an upgrade, provided you wouldn't be disappointed with the noticeable decrease in "punch." Hope that helps!
Thank you. :)

That is what i am afraid of. I still want them to be a bit fun as the momentum and to pack a bit of punch when needed. At least a bit more than on the hd600s....

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #531 of 9,585
Thank you. :)

That is what i am afraid of. I still want them to be a bit fun as the momentum and to pack a bit of punch when needed. At least a bit more than on the hd600s....

To be clear, what you lose in quantity you gain in quality for sure. Momentum is powerful but kind of flabby, while 650s are leaner and cleaner.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #532 of 9,585
So, I just came back from my local hi-fi store "KT Radio" who had just gotten the new 660S in stock today. I compared the headphone to the Hifiman 400s and the HE-1000 V1, and the Sennheiser was definitely my favorite of the three.

660S vs. 400s

What struck me the most at first listen was how similar they sound, especially in the midrange. There is one major difference though, and that's the bass. The 660S clearly has a lot more bass, while still retaining a good amount of control and remaining in the range that I would consider neutral. There is also a noticeable difference in the treble. The 660S is more well defined in the upper treble and makes the 400S sound a little splashy in comparison. Overall, the 660S is definitely the winner with better bass, about the same midrange and more sparkle in the treble.

660S vs. HE-1000 V1 (HEK)

I immediately noticed that the bass was more impactful on the 660S. The bass was more controlled on the HEK, though the 660S speed was also quite good considering the bass quantity. Another thing I noticed right off the bat was that the HEK had a more expansive soundstage. The 660S strongest suit in comparison to the HEK was the midrange. Vocals were clearer on the 660S. I definitely consider the midrange tonality the most important factor (sound-wise) when choosing a new headphone, so for me, the 660S wins this contest. With that said the HE-1000 had other qualities that makes it a very interesting headphone as well. I noticed that the treble was airier on the HEK, and that the bass was more distinct from the rest of the audio spectrum.

I've owned the HD 650 for more than 10 years now, and even though I did not do the direct comparison, I can confidently tell from memory that the 660S has stronger and more well-defined bass than the 650. Furthermore, the upper treble of the 660S is also an improvement over the 650. For me, the price increase is more than justified given the audible differences.

Comfort:
The clamping force of the 660 is stronger than the 400s and the HE-1000 V1, and as a result, it was less comfortable. But I know from owning the HD 650 that the headphones should break in nicely and become very comfortable in time, also considering how light-weight they are (280 grams).

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #533 of 9,585
What setup did you use to compare the headphones if you don’t mind me asking? Also how was the 660s in terms of detail? Notice any difference from memory with your old HD650

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #534 of 9,585
So, I just came back from my local hi-fi store "KT Radio" who had just gotten the new 660S in stock today. I compared the headphone to the Hifiman 400s and the HE-1000 V1, and the Sennheiser was definitely my favorite of the three.

660S vs. 400s

What struck me the most at first listen was how similar they sound, especially in the midrange. There is one major difference though, and that's the bass. The 660S clearly has a lot more bass, while still retaining a good amount of control and remaining in the range that I would consider neutral. There is also a noticeable difference in the treble. The 660S is more well defined in the upper treble and makes the 400S sound a little splashy in comparison. Overall, the 660S is definitely the winner with better bass, about the same midrange and more sparkle in the treble.

660S vs. HE-1000 V1 (HEK)

I immediately noticed that the bass was more impactful on the 660S. The bass was more controlled on the HEK, though the 660S speed was also quite good considering the bass quantity. Another thing I noticed right off the bat was that the HEK had a more expansive soundstage. The 660S strongest suit in comparison to the HEK was the midrange. Vocals were clearer on the 660S. I definitely consider the midrange tonality the most important factor (sound-wise) when choosing a new headphone, so for me, the 660S wins this contest. With that said the HE-1000 had other qualities that makes it a very interesting headphone as well. I noticed that the treble was airier on the HEK, and that the bass was more distinct from the rest of the audio spectrum.

I've owned the HD 650 for more than 10 years now, and even though I did not do the direct comparison, I can confidently tell from memory that the 660S has stronger and more well-defined bass than the 650. Furthermore, the upper treble of the 660S is also an improvement over the 650. For me, the price increase is more than justified given the audible differences.

Comfort:
The clamping force of the 660 is stronger than the 400s and the HE-1000 V1, and as a result, it was less comfortable. But I know from owning the HD 650 that the headphones should break in nicely and become very comfortable in time, also considering how light-weight they are (280 grams).

Hard to take this seriously. I’m glad you like the 660S but to compare it to the HEK and also say it’s better is just rubbish. Not to mention that the midrange on the HEK is perfectly neutral and not recessed at all. I own the HEK and the 800S and they’re both awesome but the HEK is slightly better in my opinion and the 800S blows all the lower model Sennheiser’s out of the water.
Again, I’m glad you like them, as I’m also interested in them but the “new toy hype” reviews don’t really help anyone make an informed decision when they’re just ridiculous. You’re taking a $500 dynamic headphone and calling it better than a $3000 Planar because of elevated 660S mid range? Come on man.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #535 of 9,585
Orders are starting to be shipped in US. Getting it tomorrow.

Mine will be here tomorrow (Friday) as well. I have the HD600, but rarely listen to it anymore, favoring the modded HD800. About 4? years ago I got the HD650 as one of my first pairs of headphones but sold it because I found the bass "muddy" (as has been noted by others), and not nearly enough energy on the high end.

Since that time, my ear has become more experienced and I can enjoy a headphone without sizzling highs (aka Audeze?), so from the descriptions so far, I'm hoping the 660S will now be my cup of tea.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #536 of 9,585
Hard to take this seriously. I’m glad you like the 660S but to compare it to the HEK and also say it’s better is just rubbish. Not to mention that the midrange on the HEK is perfectly neutral and not recessed at all. I own the HEK and the 800S and they’re both awesome but the HEK is slightly better in my opinion and the 800S blows all the lower model Sennheiser’s out of the water.
Again, I’m glad you like them, as I’m also interested in them but the “new toy hype” reviews don’t really help anyone make an informed decision when they’re just ridiculous. You’re taking a $500 dynamic headphone and calling it better than a $3000 Planar because of elevated 660S mid range? Come on man.

It's his preference, which is completely subjective.
Price has nothing to do with preference, being completely objective.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #537 of 9,585

He’s entitled to his opinion. But I still say it’s ridiculous. That’s my opinion. Not his opinion, but his parameters that he used to base his opinion. He names like 3 things that the HEK does better but then says the 660 is better because it has the same elevated midrange of 650. That’s not objective. That’s hype. New toy hype.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #538 of 9,585
f-ing serious......???? Thats just more 65 euros than a hd650 on amazon spain (315 is currently the best price i can find for them new). Why senn!!! Why dont you ship to Portugal.....?!?!?!? ;(
Yeah check this too. Essentially you can find a 15% off code online, then when you're at the checkout on their website leave it for a few minutes and an overlay will appear on the right hand side with a personalised 10% off code which works in addition to the original 15% off. So £429.99 became £328.94 when I ordered last week. You can sign up to their newsletter too but that's only a 10% off code and the 15% off code replaces this. If you go via Quidco first then you can get a further 7% cashback e.g. £23.02 - sadly I didn't realise this in time, but if I had then it'd have been £429.99 reduced to £305.92 :astonished:

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #540 of 9,585
He’s entitled to his opinion. But I still say it’s ridiculous. That’s my opinion. Not his opinion, but his parameters that he used to base his opinion. He names like 3 things that the HEK does better but then says the 660 is better because it has the same elevated midrange of 650.
We all know that most TOTL headphones are heavily overpriced, just because we buy them at such prices. Even though the HEK might be a fantastic headphone it is more so a superb source for the manufacturers and the resellers fortune. With the business concept of Schiit Audio, they would sell for maybe 700$ instead of 3000$. And the HD660S for 200$ or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back