Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #316 of 9,618
Du pietcux, wo hasch'n du den Hörer kauft?

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #317 of 9,618
Hi, I see that you also have the DT-1990. How do they compare? Especially the soundstage and bass.
Made a quick comparison. The soundstage is not too different, but the especially the bass is better on the HD660S with my equipment. And it is balanced vs unbalanced. Will test them on my Meier Jazz later. Up to now only did comparisons from my Sony WM1A.
Du pietcux, wo hasch'n du den Hörer kauft?

Natürlich bei Sennheiser.de, wo sonscht, weisch!

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #318 of 9,618
The graph shows slightly more sub bass, just slightly. What he's said, so far, indicates better bass, faster, more defined, which isn't found on that graph. If you really want sub bass beyond most open headphones, semi-opens like the Philips Fidelio L2 will get there (with more highs than the Sennheiser) or the L1 (with the same or less highs, these are very warm sounding to the point of it lacking detail). The best sub bass response on under $500 USD street priced fully open headphones is the Audio Technica ATH-R70x. They also have the warm high mids of the HD650. In fact they are even more laid back in this area, too much for many. They have a bit less high treble, and a bit more of a narrow high peak that's still not too bad. The sub bass is remarkable though. They do have fit issues for me; not quite enough for my big head, ear pads are a little small. The HD 660S from what I hear will not have that kind of larger sub bass.
From all headphones that I listened with open or closed, the HD660S has the most impressive way to reproduce bass. Very clean and power full. See my profile for references. And for an open can it goes astoundingly deep. Again the graphs don't tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #319 of 9,618
From all headphones that I listened with open or closed, the HD660S has the most impressive way to reproduce bass. Very clean and power full. See my profile for references. And for a closed can it goes astoundingly deep. Again the graphs don't tell the whole story.

Können Sie seinen Bass mit Fostex Kopfhörer vergleichen?

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #320 of 9,618
From all headphones that I listened with open or closed, the HD660S has the most impressive way to reproduce bass. Very clean and power full. See my profile for references. And for a closed can it goes astoundingly deep. Again the graphs don't tell the whole story.
Did you mean to say "As for an open can it goes astoundingly deep" ?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #321 of 9,618
Please compare HD660S and Z1R,especially soundstage ,THX.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #322 of 9,618
Oct 21, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #323 of 9,618
Können Sie seinen Bass mit Fostex Kopfhörer vergleichen?
Hi sorry, Fostex headpones are not widely available in Germany. Never heard one.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #324 of 9,618
Sorry, yes for an open can..
Thanks for clearing that up.

But this seems odd, since according to Jude's preliminary measurements, the HD 650 and the HD 660S measure virtually identically in the bass (+/- 0.5dB <100Hz).

Sennheiser-HD660S-HD650-FR-normalized-PRELIMINARY.jpg

Any idea as to why they sound so different in the bass range?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #325 of 9,618
Do we have distortion measurements? Less distortion and faster decay in the bass (the former would be enough) would lead to a different perception already.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #326 of 9,618
Only now I get what people were saying. I didn't look with enough attention at the graph, I thought the 2 lines were the left and right channels of the hd660s. That's why I didn't get the matching thing.
Now that I see the comparison, I'm really clueless, it doesn't make any sense. They are to close, they can't sound so different with such a resembling graph. The major differences are in high freq, where graphs easily can get different from measurement to measurement for the same source. Also, the HD650 don't have the 5kHz peak, they have a huge dip there, and it shows in all dozens of grapshs on the net, they all show more or less the same thing, contrary with this graph. Couldn't you, by mistake, uploaded the left and right channels of the same headphone instead of measurement of the 2 models?

With your HD650 on, play this video at a moderate volume level:

Do you hear a huge dip at 5 kHz? A huge dip in that range would be audible.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #329 of 9,618
I AM selling some stuff to finance this as well. My 2 over ear momentums will be sold since i barely use headphones on the street and at home i havê nicer stuff like the x2s and hd600s....

But i dont completely rule out selling my hd600s as well.... I like them but i do not love them. Like their resolution and detail but i always wanted them to sound a bit fuller, more musical and less analytical and dry. Actually my idea at first was to sell the momentums to buy and compare the hd650s against my hd600s.... And then the anouncement was made.... Completely f-ed my plans..... But i dont know if i will get the h660s right away.... Seems to much to give away 3 pairs of very good headphones to pay for just one. I do not doubt theybare worth it but still....

Do you guys think the hd650 will be discontinued if this hd660s is a hit?

Is it me or the release of the hd660s is basically sennheiser admiting that they screwed up on the hd700 and showing everyone they could do better with the hd700 driver? But if so, once again this could mean the end of the road not for one but 2 headphones, the 650 and the 700....

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #330 of 9,618
I would keep the hd600's for now even if the hd660 blows them away the resale on hd600 is at best $175 US after shipping and or eBay fees and for that amount it's better to have them around for comparison. I think the best case scenario is that the hd660's are just flat out better than the hd600/650/700 and sennheiser just discontinues all three.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back