Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #1,201 of 9,618
Today I did a little comparison between my HD 660 S and my new HD 650.
Conclusion: Both are exceptional headphones - HD 660 S has better instrument separation, more detail and soundstage.
HD 650 has for me better vocals and atmosphere (maybe more realistic sounding?)
IMG_1355.md.jpg

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,202 of 9,618
Today I did a little comparison between my HD 660 S and my new HD 650.
Conclusion: Both are exceptional headphones - HD 660 S has better instrument separation, more detail and soundstage.
HD 650 has for me better vocals and atmosphere (maybe more realistic sounding?)
IMG_1355.md.jpg
The HD660S is much better for my purposes, as it is driven by my WM1A DAP with ease and grace. That cannot be achieved with the HD650. On top I prefer the more detailed presentation of the HD660S.
Listening since some hours to Donald Fagen at work today with this combo, I can only recommend that.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,203 of 9,618
one more pic so you guys get an idea of the pillowy goodness that has been attained. pic of the modded 650 is my avatar

_20171122_123256.JPG

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,204 of 9,618
Hi
I own a 650. Great headphone. I do wish it sounded better right from my iPhone but realize I need to use an amp to make it sound great.

Does the 660 sound good directly from the iPhone or does it like the 650 really need to be amped?

Thanks
Mike

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,205 of 9,618
one more pic so you guys get an idea of the pillowy goodness that has been attained. pic of the modded 650 is my avatar

Where does your head fit?

Nov 22, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,208 of 9,618
Hey, a similar setup to Pietcrux! We really like the Pentaconn connection, as it’s easier to connect to and for designers to fit on an amp, sized good for portable and home use, and thicker so as to be less prone to breaking than a 2.5 mm balanced plug. Both of our new HD 660 S and IE 800 S come with a 4.4 mm Pentaconn terminated cable.

We don’t have an exact date for you, except “soon.” We have been producing them in our Ireland factories and working on getting them shipped in bulk to more countries and authorized dealers! Thank YOU for your interest!

We can’t speak to Tyll’s process specifically, but many in-depth reviewers like to get to know a headphone and take notes (and sometimes measurements) and hone in on what they want to say. On average, they like to spend a month or two with the headphone.

Commenting specifically on our driver designs and the “secret sauce” that goes into making them is not something we will go into detail. However, there are two things we would like to share:
1.) There is definitely a trickle-down benefit of all our research and development in our higher end headphones that we have put into the HD 660 S.
2.) We would recommend focusing exclusively on any singular component, and expect to predict what the full sonic outcome will be. As you have found for yourself, the HD 660 S has quite a different character to it in contrast to the HD 700 or HD 650, despite being designed to have the same frequency curve as the HD 650.

We are glad you have enjoyed the HD 660 S, and in return we enjoyed reading your impressions a couple pages back! We obsess over the design process, and thus are excited to hear people’s first impressions of our new products as much as people get exited to hear new products for themselves!

I appreciate your response! Thanks for shedding some light on the thought process, very much enjoying them :)

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,209 of 9,618
...but I think the HD6.. series have the most comfortable feeling velour pads out there. Why change.!?!?.?!

Leather or vinyl round my ear'oles doesn't appeal to me. Sweat City, Arizona. Yuck

As for sound I trust Sennheiser to know what's best for their headphones.

I don't think I would have the temerity or (not saying much I'm my case) talent to improve headphones that have been so painstakingly developed and tuned by experts with years of experience. Sorry modding is not for me but you're welcome to have a go on even the very latest headphone

(EDIT even without listening to them properly or getting accustomed to their natural sound, their quirks and flaws, and learning to appreciate and in the end maybe grow to love them over that satisfying longterm partnership/affair/marriage).

Each to their own if it sounds and feels good to you ....

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,210 of 9,618
HD 660s fresh off a pad swap (ZMF Oval). This headphone sings with this mod :beerchug:

The headphone has barely had time to get into the hands of customers and it's already being modded! Too funny!!!

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,211 of 9,618
for me, leather is better.. i also like a nice deep ear cup where nothing touches my ear directly, as well a plush memory foam pad. throw lamskin in the mix and i'm in heaven. all of that just enhances the experience. don't knock something til you try it.. as comfy as you think the Sennheiser foam pads are, they fall unbelievably short of a lambskin/cowhide earpad from ZMF, or even Brainwaves. i also enjoy finding ways to improve upon what has been done. for instance, many people complain of the Sennheiser veil, even on the 660s. for a long time now people have modded or outright removed the foam to enhance the sound and mitigate said veil. that's just one example. this mod just works well for me according to my own sound preferences. i'm also comfortable performing it, although i wouldn't say it's terribly difficult

...but I think the HD6.. series have the most comfortable feeling velour pads out there. Why change.!?!?.?!

Leather or vinyl round my ear'oles doesn't appeal to me. Sweat City, Arizona. Yuck

As for sound I trust Sennheiser to know what's best for their headphones.

I don't think I would have the temerity or (not saying much I'm my case) talent to improve headphones that have been so painstakingly developed and tuned by experts with years of experience. Sorry modding is not for me but you're welcome to have a go on even the very latest headphone

(EDIT even without listening to them properly or getting accustomed to their natural sound, their quirks and flaws, and learning to appreciate and in the end maybe grow to love them over that satisfying longterm partnership/affair/marriage).

Each to their own if it sounds and feels good to you ....

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #1,212 of 9,618
First thing, the earpads are the same depth. Cannot understand how a lot of people compared old (even 1 month counts) pads with the new one and say some are deeper than others.
Secondly, I have to listen more to them for an opinion, they sound not very different, so it takes some A/B, it's a bit harder from memory.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #1,213 of 9,618
First thing, the earpads are the same depth. Cannot understand how a lot of people compared old (even 1 month counts) pads with the new one and say some are deeper than others.
Secondly, I have to listen more to them for an opinion, they sound not very different, so it takes some A/B, it's a bit harder from memory.
Do you still own the HD650?

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,214 of 9,618
U2 TheJoshua Tree, very well presented, lots of details, very spacious! Guitar played on the edge, but never over the edge, same goes for Bono's voice. The Bass line dry and powerful yet not bleeding nowhere. Love it very much. This can is serious business.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,215 of 9,618
Yes, I do. The earpads on the HD650 are 2-3mm compressed within 2-3 months (when I changed them). They couldn't have been smaller, the difference is too small if you factor in the compression. And I know for sure they compressed, since they had a narrow hard edge that flattened a bit.
The shock is the sound. I thought they would sound different, but they're 98-99% the same. I was fascinated by how 2 headphones with such a similar frequency response can sound so different (based on the reviews). Now I see it's not really the case. And I'm not deaf, I mean...I can tell a Beyer or a HD700 from the HD650 even without putting them on my head, just from 1m away (figure of speech :p ) and the difference was like immense when I tried them. Now I can spot a 1-2% on some tracks.
I hope Senn didn't juggle with the drivers, like a lot of people found out in the past (HD600s and HD650s having the same driver or with drivers with "hd580" printed on them). But I don't think so, the back looks like a HD700 driver back. But at the same time I don't know if the same back can be used for different drivers.
It's not that I'm disappointed. I mean...I am somehow, but not with the sound itself, since I was going to buy a new HD650 as a spare anyway, but I'm more puzzled. Oh, and there's the money aspect too, I could have gotten the HD650 for nearly half the price. Or even an HD6xx without the disgusting chipping grey glossy thing on them. Now I feel like I paid 100% more just not to have the paint falling off and not to have headphones that look like salvaged from the thrash bin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back