Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #886 of 9,618
Yep, its the Dragon Inspire IHA-1. All of these comments about cables affecting the sound of the HD 660S and often less positive reviews coming from people who use tube amps with high output impedance has got me wondering if the HD 660S relies more on electrical dampening than its older siblings. Poor dampening could explain why some find its mids shouty. In my experience, using amps that provide high electrical dampening, the HD 660S is quite a smooth and detailed headphone, definitely not a shouty phone!
How can you do a review relying only on such an exotic tube amp with even more exotic whatever tubes in the chain? My friends this review has nothing that anyone here can reproduce, the DAC is unquestioned, but the amp is totally off for a proper review. That setup is a heavy eq but not neutral in any regard, sorry. As a source it is problematic for low impedance cans anyways.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #888 of 9,618
"Secondly, and most importantly, the presentation [of the HD600] is a step above the HD660S when it comes to an effortless and natural sound."

The review written by Aornic resembles my experience quite well.

And from which source do you run both cans?
I always told that I run them from my DAP SONY WM1A.

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #889 of 9,618
And from which source do you run both cans?
I always told that I run them from my DAP SONY WM1A.

I used the IFI micro iDSD silver as a dac/amp combo to run them. The digital source was my laptop, but this should not matter as the usb section is asynchronous and I used the internal battery of the iDSD to power the thing. Different members of the 600 family may work best for different equipment indeed.

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #890 of 9,618
Your findings are quite interesting! What amp did you use? If the HA-2SE has enough power to drive the HD660S, could you please try and repeat the cable comparison with this amp?

I'm using a Schiit Lyr 2 with Western Electric JW 2C51 tubes. The HA-2SE has plenty of power for the 660S, I'll attempt the same on the HA2-SE at some point today and report back!

Also, I splurged on some Black Dragon bulk cable from Moon Audio for another DIY cable, never heard any of their dragon products, hopefully it matches the stock cable at the very least lol

And for the record, describing the 660S as "shouty" is very far from my experience. But then again, Aornic called what I considered a somewhat recessed midrange on the Elears shouty. Shouty, shouty, shouty :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #891 of 9,618
After owning both the HD650 and HD600, HD600 got sold and was easily replaced by a custom Ypsilon driver build that ended up also replacing the HD650, but I still have my HD650 since it was one of the first "better" headphones I got. I'm a little disappointed with most of the reviews since I was hoping the HD660S would take on more of the characteristics of the HD700 which I like better than the HD600 and HD650 but I'll be modding my HD6XX when it gets here so. One thing I like about the HD660S is the new look over the HD600 which looks like cheap imitation marble to the slightly drab HD650 grey.

Aesthetically, they are definitely an improvement! I would still try to give the 660S a listen if you can, while the tone is similar to the 650, the presentation is much more dynamic and energetic, it might be to your liking.

Made an interesting discovery today...

I had previously made a custom cable for my HD650s (5 ft long, 26 AWG OCC coper, Oyaide rhodium-plated connectors) and I was using it with my HD660S given that the 9 ft cable is so unwieldy. I noticed there was a significant difference in sound quality between my cable and the stock Sennheiser cable. Now, I am not one to argue that cables make a huge difference in sound quality, I've thought quite the opposite in the past, but this was a HUGE difference in soundstage, detail, and clarity. I thought, well since my cable is 26 AWG, maybe the HD660S is very sensitive to changes in cable resistance. So, I made a makeshift cable with some 24 AWG OCC wire I had lying around. While the 24 AWG cable was an improvement, the stock Sennheiser cable was still clearly better. I can't imagine that Sennheiser uses larger than 24 AWG wire for the cable, that is plenty for any headphone, so there is some other Deutsche trickery at work here...

TBH I am shocked, like I said, never was one to argue that cables significantly alter sound quality, but the difference here is undeniable. Unfortunately, this means I am stuck with a 9 ft cable until I can find something that sounds as good lol

Your findings are quite interesting! What amp did you use? If the HA-2SE has enough power to drive the HD660S, could you please try and repeat the cable comparison with this amp?

I have the day off, so I just went ahead and did the same comparison with the HA-2SE. The differences are still there, but they are less pronounced than with the Lyr 2. The stock cable is more resolving than my custom 26 AWG cable, sound stage is larger as well. Unfortunately, my Lyr 2 may not help your OTL theory for obvious reasons, sorry! Like I said, going to be building another DIY cable later this week, 6 feet Black Dragon cable, Furutech FT-2PS-F connectors, Furutech FT-763SM 1/4 rhodium-plated plug. Sparing no expense on these components, this thing better sound damn good! If it is an issue with cable resistance, the Black Dragon should nip it in the butt, 21.5 AWG conductors. I'm still a bit of a non-believer, maybe this Black Dragon will convert me to the dark side, either that or I will have a really nice looking cable to sell :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #892 of 9,618
I really don't understand how the HD660s could sound shouty when the frequency response graphs on diy-audio-heaven shows that it has less output at 2-5 khz than both the HD600 and HD650?
On the other hand, I always felt the HD600 was slightly shouty due to their 3.5 - 3.8 khz peak. Lol.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #893 of 9,618
I really don't understand how the HD660s could sound shouty when the frequency response graphs on diy-audio-heaven shows that it has less output at 2-5 khz than both the HD600 and HD650?
On the other hand, I always felt the HD600 was slightly shouty due to their 3.5khz peak. Lol.

From some CSD plots I've seen the HD 660S has some issues in the 5khz region whereas the HD 600 or HD 650 don't. I agree the HD 600 can be slightly shouty on some systems. I wasn't able to spend much time with the HD 660S, proper listening will have to come later, but I did notice some shoutiness but the unit was also essentially brand new. It was nothing that was a deal breaker but something I did notice. I wasn't able to determine if I liked the HD 660S more than the HD 600 or HD 650 or not yet though as I didn't notice any major issues which is definitely a good thing, means I need to take my time and listen to it over a few auditions to get a good feel of them.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #894 of 9,618
Yeah, it's probably caused by the 5 khz glitch on the HD660s csd. Makes sense.

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #895 of 9,618
Yeah, it's probably caused by the 5 khz glitch on the HD660s csd. Makes sense.

From what I did hear, I think the complaints about the shoutiness were exaggerated. I honestly think this headphone will be more pleasing to those who aren't huge fans of the HD 600 and HD 650, they do share a lot of similarities but I definitely heard some HD 700 in the HD 660S. I personally like the HD 600 and HD 650 but never fawned over them quite like some others do, always felt there were better headphones out there. I've always fallen more into the Beyer camp anyways. Wouldn't be surprised if I like the HD 660S more than the HD 600 and HD 650 in the end.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #896 of 9,618
From what I did hear, I think the complaints about the shoutiness were exaggerated. I honestly think this headphone will be more pleasing to those who aren't huge fans of the HD 600 and HD 650, they do share a lot of similarities but I definitely heard some HD 700 in the HD 660S. I personally like the HD 600 and HD 650 but never fawned over them quite like some others do, always felt there were better headphones out there. I've always fallen more into the Beyer camp anyways. Wouldn't be surprised if I like the HD 660S more than the HD 600 and HD 650 in the end.

Look forward to more of your detailed impressions, since you're another beyer camper. I am always looking for the best cans for

i8j3YV.gif

love tablas...

It was exciting to hear the 660s and Amiron being brought into the boxing ring together. And this match I'm more interested in moment moreso than the 660s vs 600/650 (mainly because many of the impressions are out). Though the word shoutiness can scare many, i think non treble sensitive people fear such a word less :p As for classical music, it sounds like hd600 is the best choice/? Or am i wrong here? This would be helpful thanks :)

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #897 of 9,618
Anyway, just my honest opinion, based on my hearing, my equipment and my music. The other members on this forum that have owned the HD600/650's for ages can probably better explain the superiority of the HD660s's, in the meanwhile I am just catching up on my share of the HD600 fun :).

I don´t think you made a bad choice at all, quite the opposite. The HD 660 S doesn´t make the previous models redundant as it sounds quite different. It all depends on your preference. The HD 600 are smoother, more relaxed/allow you to listen with higher volume and in my experience are a lot less harsh with less than perfect recordings (for example HD 660 S vs. HD 600 @ Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers; 600 sounds better to me). The HD 660 S may sound shouty or have too much treble energy for many. Always audition before buying, that´s the only way to find the best can for your own ears :)

Reading between the lines on Aornic's review a bit... it seems like the 660S has quite a bit in common with the Elear. Can anyone who's heard both weigh in on that?

I´d say the main characteristic of the Elear is the strong drop in upper midrange that kind of makes you want to raise volume all the time (and if you ask me makes most stuff sound "off"). The HD 660 S has no such thing, quite the opposite as some may find it too shouty/energetic. In comparison the HD 660 S has a brighter and more analytical sound that you probably don´t want to play as loud.

Well, it's a matter of preference. The HD660s seem to be harsher because of the detailed sound, while the HD650 is more veiled and softer. The HD600 seems to be somewhere in the middle, closer to the HD650, but with more highs and less bass. Ideal it would be to have both the hd660s and the hd650. I myself like the smooth presentation of the hd650, but I'm aware that there is a loss of detail. It's a matter of how much do you appreciate every bit of detail being pushed into your face in this comparison.
They both have positives and negatives, one has the smoothness, softness, forgiveness of bad recodings/weakness of impact and loss of some detail, while the other has the impact, detail, sparkle/fatiguing sound, compression feeling. It's inevitable, everything comes with disadvantages. You cannot expect to buy a Ferrari, for example, then to be disappointed that it doesn't float through the potholes in the road like a Rolls Royce.

Agreed, this basically sums up my thoughts on the topic as well. It´s a game of give and take. There´s no such thing as best of both worlds in one headphone.

To me the hd600 is already pretty dynamic and there is a peak that bothers me ay times só i AM affraid it may be a bit too much...

In this case I´d definitely audition before even considering buying as it´s possible/perhaps even likely that the HD 660 S may be too lively/bright for your taste. Personally I find the HD 600 a bit too relaxed so the HD 660 S hits a nice spot for me.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #898 of 9,618
Aesthetically, they are definitely an improvement! I would still try to give the 660S a listen if you can, while the tone is similar to the 650, the presentation is much more dynamic and energetic, it might be to your liking.

I have the day off, so I just went ahead and did the same comparison with the HA-2SE. The differences are still there, but they are less pronounced than with the Lyr 2. The stock cable is more resolving than my custom 26 AWG cable, sound stage is larger as well. Unfortunately, my Lyr 2 may not help your OTL theory for obvious reasons, sorry! Like I said, going to be building another DIY cable later this week, 6 feet Black Dragon cable, Furutech FT-2PS-F connectors, Furutech FT-763SM 1/4 rhodium-plated plug. Sparing no expense on these components, this thing better sound damn good! If it is an issue with cable resistance, the Black Dragon should nip it in the butt, 21.5 AWG conductors. I'm still a bit of a non-believer, maybe this Black Dragon will convert me to the dark side, either that or I will have a really nice looking cable to sell :)
Would you like to listen to a Nhoord prototype driver build that I have on tour? This might be a great way for me to get a better idea of how the HD660S sounds in to a headphone that I have listened to for a few months. The Nhoord driver is not affected much my different amps and will actually sound pretty good out of a smart phone or low powered DAP. Send me a PM if interested.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #900 of 9,618
Well, it's a matter of preference. The HD660s seem to be harsher because of the detailed sound, while the HD650 is more veiled and softer. The HD600 seems to be somewhere in the middle, closer to the HD650, but with more highs and less bass. Ideal it would be to have both the hd660s and the hd650. I myself like the smooth presentation of the hd650, but I'm aware that there is a loss of detail. It's a matter of how much do you appreciate every bit of detail being pushed into your face in this comparison.
They both have positives and negatives, one has the smoothness, softness, forgiveness of bad recodings/weakness of impact and loss of some detail, while the other has the impact, detail, sparkle/fatiguing sound, compression feeling. It's inevitable, everything comes with disadvantages. You cannot expect to buy a Ferrari, for example, then to be disappointed that it doesn't float through the potholes in the road like a Rolls Royce.

About the bass, if it's the same driver as the HD700, I remember the HD700 bass as being impactful but not to my liking, it sounded like an empty barrel to me, the hitting was too sharp, I wanted something a bit more wolly in the bass, like the HD650.
I found myself loving the heck out of HD700's bass, but only after a few simple tweaks to the headphone. I strongly dislike that thick, multi-layered cloth that Sennheiser puts over HD700's drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back