Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 21, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #8,956 of 9,618
Sennheiser website is now selling the HD 660S for $300 (as well as most other vendors). I wonder if this is because the new owners of the consumer Sennheiser division are going to slim down their assortment of high-end headphones, especially since the market seems to be concentrated now with earbuds and gaming headsets.
Noooooooooooooooooo

Nov 21, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #8,957 of 9,618
Sennheiser website is now selling the HD 660S for $300 (as well as most other vendors). I wonder if this is because the new owners of the consumer Sennheiser division are going to slim down their assortment of high-end headphones, especially since the market seems to be concentrated now with earbuds and gaming headsets.

I would guess it's because it's part of a much larger company now and they can afford to sell it at a lower price due to economies of scale.

Possibly also because many would argue that it is not a $500 headphone in 2022.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #8,958 of 9,618
I would guess it's because it's part of a much larger company now and they can afford to sell it at a lower price due to economies of scale.

Possibly also because many would argue that it is not a $500 headphone in 2022.
Possibly also because many would argue that it is not a $500 headphone in 2022.......

YES

I paid the $500 and have ZERO regrets. I bought it the day it was available. One of my favorite headphones. That being said, in 2022 I believe that they are more accurately priced in the market place in the $200-$300 range....

Leo

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #8,959 of 9,618
Possibly also because many would argue that it is not a $500 headphone in 2022.......

YES

I paid the $500 and have ZERO regrets. I bought it the day it was available. One of my favorite headphones. That being said, in 2022 I believe that they are more accurately priced in the market place in the $200-$300 range....

Leo
That is possibly true, but a lot of times (not always) the price is based on manufacturing costs plus a profit margin). It it possible that they have figured out a way to make them at a lower manufacturing cost, but I still suspect that the new Sennheiser is going to tighten up their offerings with fewer choices, which is a good way to improve economy of scale. Right now there are so many choices (just within the Sennheiser HD6XX lineup) that it is hard for consumers to figure out which one is better than the other (especially since it is hard to find a place to listen to all of them).

I very much like my HD660S, and would recommend that anyone in the market for that kind of headphone in the $300 price range pull the trigger soon, just in case they do discontinue the product. That is especially true if one has a balanced headphone amp, since the HD660S comes with both SE and balanced cables.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #8,960 of 9,618
I hope they don't stop making the 660 S, I'd feel compelled to try to get a backup as I like them well enough I don't want to lose the option :sweat:

I got the Schiit Magni+ and Modi+ in and I do think they improve the listening experience over what I was powering them with. These are not super expensive and are solid-state, but they're able to provide more voltage and current than what I had been using, and I prefer the sound with them versus using my (decent!) audio interface's converters and a less powerful amp.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #8,961 of 9,618
I hope they don't stop making the 660 S, I'd feel compelled to try to get a backup as I like them well enough I don't want to lose the option :sweat:

We have the refurbished units here in Canada but regular stock, unlike the US, is still regular price at $679.95, same for the UK...so it may only be a matter of clearing inventory.
But at $269 US and $349 Can... one's almost tempted to get a back-up pair...but then on the other hand the 600 series appear to last forever. lol

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #8,962 of 9,618
Yeah, I was enjoying my mid-2000s HD-650 earlier today - they still sound so good! New ear pads, new headband pad, two replacement cables along the way, but the frame is still as good as it was when I bought it (minus some paint!) and the drivers make beautiful music as ever I remembered them sounding. But if they really do look like they're going to axe some things I'll be in a scramble to get a backup of each!

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #8,963 of 9,618
Absolute contentment w the 660S from the Cayin RU6/XDUOO X10T combo. I feel like the 660S deserves more praise for what it is as whole. For instance i don't think there's another headphone that's as light, w as good of imaging and mids. I can't think of one anyway.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #8,964 of 9,618
Absolute contentment w the 660S from the Cayin RU6/XDUOO X10T combo. I feel like the 660S deserves more praise for what it is as whole. For instance i don't think there's another headphone that's as light, w as good of imaging and mids. I can't think of one anyway.
I also like how clearly defined the bass is in every song. It may not be the most bass, but what's there stands out so easily from the mix. I can literally hear basslines that usually just go un-noticed or sound bloated on my IEMs. There's just something about hearing the bass cleanly and it makes the music so much more enjoyable to me.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #8,965 of 9,618
I also like how clearly defined the bass is in every song. It may not be the most bass, but what's there stands out so easily from the mix. I can literally hear basslines that usually just go un-noticed or sound bloated on my IEMs. There's just something about hearing the bass cleanly and it makes the music so much more enjoyable to me.
Can agree with that observation.. recently spending a lot of time with some HD630VB I recently acquired and was checking how the HD660S base compares...obviously the 630 is more abundant and impactful but I really liked how linear the the HD660S were/are...it's a very well behaved headphone even at volume.

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #8,966 of 9,618
I have HD660S now for close to 1 month. I just want to share my experience between Sennheiser HD660S vs Hifiman Sundara. HD660S changed my idea on imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage. And what is important for enjoyable, realistic, and immersive experience.

20221108_172349.jpg

Previously, I thought Soundstage is everything for realistic and enjoyable experience. Now I have experienced HD660S, I feel now that Imaging has a bigger effect on realism or immersive experience.

Here is how I define (or feel about) these parameters:
  • Imaging: this is the 3-dimensional mental positioning of the sound. This includes angle and distance. (Note that when I say imaging here, this is for music only and not absolute directionality for fps gaming, because neither of these 2 headphones are good for fps gaming).
  • Instrument Separation: different sounds that occur at same time, can be heard as distinct instruments.
  • Soundstage: size or distance where the sound is coming from.
HD660S is more intimate, as everything is in smaller scale. But in this smaller soundstage or environment, it actually produces more imaging information and instrument separation. I feel like I am on the stage with the band. Vocals are very forward. My mental image of vocals are typically less than 5 feet in front of me. Then instruments are just slightly further away, like 5 to 20 feet away. Even in this small soundstage, there are multiple layers to the sound. Some instruments sound closer, while others sound further away. As result, I feel more 3-dimensional imaging. And when different instruments feel like they are at different distances, this also adds to instrument separation.

Sundara has larger soundstage for sure. I feel like I'm in the 1st few rows in the audience listening to the band on stage. Everything feels bigger. Vocals are more distant. And then the instruments are even further away. Sundara has good instrument separation. I can clearly hear each instrument distinctly. However, Sundara feels 2-dimensional with instruments, in that they are all at similar distances and not layered.

As with many mid-fi headphones, Sundara does a good job. The 3-dimensional feel comes from combining vocals and instruments. Then HD660S takes it to another level, by adding layers of information for different instruments.

What is more important, more enjoyable, or more realistic? Probably depends on the music you listen to and your preference. Before, I thought soundstage is more important to provide that immersive experience. For sure, having soundstage vs no soundstage is the first step. But now I have heard HD660S, I feel the imaging and the layering (even within a smaller soundstage) actually results in more realistic and immersive experience.

It's too bad HD660S was not price competitive previously, and as result didn't get good reviews. But HD660S price has come down recently. I got it for $250 for refurbished from Sennheiser (but not always available). It is $300 new on Amazon, from 3rd party stores. Basically Sundara and HD660S are the same price now.

I bought the HD660S thinking it was something I can use for vocals. I wasn't expecting it be an all-around headphones. I was really surprised how well it performed technically, and how it actually outperformed Sundara. It kind of throws out my incorrect assumption that planar magnetic has better technical performance.

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #8,967 of 9,618
I have HD660S now for close to 1 month. I just want to share my experience between Sennheiser HD660S vs Hifiman Sundara. ............

I bought the HD660S thinking it was something I can use for vocals. I wasn't expecting it be an all-around headphones. I was really surprised how well it performed technically, and how it actually outperformed Sundara. It kind of throws out my incorrect assumption that planar magnetic has better technical performance.
Thanks for sharing...I've been curious about the Sundara as I was previously let down by my LCD-2, loved the wall of sound and base but the lack of treble air and dimensionality to the soundstage was disappointing, sounds like the HiFiMan does somewhat of a better job but dynamic drivers still appear to have more agility over planar magnetic but then again I have not heard the top tier.

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #8,968 of 9,618
I have HD660S now for close to 1 month. I just want to share my experience between Sennheiser HD660S vs Hifiman Sundara. HD660S changed my idea on imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage. And what is important for enjoyable, realistic, and immersive experience.

20221108_172349.jpg

Previously, I thought Soundstage is everything for realistic and enjoyable experience. Now I have experienced HD660S, I feel now that Imaging has a bigger effect on realism or immersive experience.

Here is how I define (or feel about) these parameters:
  • Imaging: this is the 3-dimensional mental positioning of the sound. This includes angle and distance. (Note that when I say imaging here, this is for music only and not absolute directionality for fps gaming, because neither of these 2 headphones are good for fps gaming).
  • Instrument Separation: different sounds that occur at same time, can be heard as distinct instruments.
  • Soundstage: size or distance where the sound is coming from.
HD660S is more intimate, as everything is in smaller scale. But in this smaller soundstage or environment, it actually produces more imaging information and instrument separation. I feel like I am on the stage with the band. Vocals are very forward. My mental image of vocals are typically less than 5 feet in front of me. Then instruments are just slightly further away, like 5 to 20 feet away. Even in this small soundstage, there are multiple layers to the sound. Some instruments sound closer, while others sound further away. As result, I feel more 3-dimensional imaging. And when different instruments feel like they are at different distances, this also adds to instrument separation.

Sundara has larger soundstage for sure. I feel like I'm in the 1st few rows in the audience listening to the band on stage. Everything feels bigger. Vocals are more distant. And then the instruments are even further away. Sundara has good instrument separation. I can clearly hear each instrument distinctly. However, Sundara feels 2-dimensional with instruments, in that they are all at similar distances and not layered.

As with many mid-fi headphones, Sundara does a good job. The 3-dimensional feel comes from combining vocals and instruments. Then HD660S takes it to another level, by adding layers of information for different instruments.

What is more important, more enjoyable, or more realistic? Probably depends on the music you listen to and your preference. Before, I thought soundstage is more important to provide that immersive experience. For sure, having soundstage vs no soundstage is the first step. But now I have heard HD660S, I feel the imaging and the layering (even within a smaller soundstage) actually results in more realistic and immersive experience.

It's too bad HD660S was not price competitive previously, and as result didn't get good reviews. But HD660S price has come down recently. I got it for $250 for refurbished from Sennheiser (but not always available). It is $300 new on Amazon, from 3rd party stores. Basically Sundara and HD660S are the same price now.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I found them insightful.

Leo

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #8,969 of 9,618
I too was surprised that the 660S are technically better than the Sundaras, pretty much across the board. They have a higher resolution, despite being darker.

Sundara just have a bigger soundstage, but less precise and accurate imaging, and more treble extension, but end up sounding too harsh and metallic.

If we then talk about musicality, timbre and naturalness then the groove becomes even deeper, with a quite clear superiority of the 660S.

Plus the 660S you also drive much easier and will likely last decades.

For me they are a great all rounder, I too had mainly gotten them for vocals and acoustic music, but they sound great with everything I listen to, including the most extreme metal.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #8,970 of 9,618
Thanks for sharing...I've been curious about the Sundara as I was previously let down by my LCD-2, loved the wall of sound and base but the lack of treble air and dimensionality to the soundstage was disappointing, sounds like the HiFiMan does somewhat of a better job but dynamic drivers still appear to have more agility over planar magnetic but then again I have not heard the top tier.
Honestly that’s my problems with planar magnetic headphones. I’m sure there are some that overcome that issue but dynamics I found just handle imaging better. If you want good imaging I guess you stick with dynamics and estats. I hear all this praise on the sundara then I hear about it’s drawbacks and I’m like I would dislike the Sundara.

The HD 660 S does image the best of the HD 6xx series I tried but I found the HD 400 Pro, R70X, and the Tesla Beyers such as the Amiron Home are better in terms of imaging to my ears for a similar price or less, but I’m just talking about imaging not the overall sound. But I do know imaging can vary some person to person.

In regards to the R70X vs the HD 660 S, I would say while the R70X has better sub-bass, imaging, soundstage size, and arguably overall FR response but it’s lacking in terms of perceived clarity and doesn’t sound quite as natural as the HD 660 S and due to this I prefer the HD 660 S’s sound overall.

Compared to the Amiron Home they are different tunings which is more of a warm u-shaped curve compared to the HD 660 S more neutral somewhat mid focused tuning, but I would give the overall resolution and fidelity edge to the Amiron Home’s. Personally I like the Amiron Home a little more than the HD 660 S.

Compared to the HD 400 Pro, the 400 Pro is a leaner tighter and brighter sound and has quite a different imaging presentation than the HD 660 S. The HD 400 Pro has better sub-bass and treble extension but doesn’t have as much midrange body as the HD 660 S. The HD 400 Pro can sound overly lean and a tad bright on some systems so system synergy is important for it. Which I like more depends on the system, on my current system I prefer the HD 400 Pro, but other systems I would prefer the HD 660 S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back