1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Levanter, Oct 8, 2017.
First

Back
320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329
331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340
Next

Last
  1. tafens
    This latest discussion and comparisons in detail about the HD660S and HD650 has been a most interesting, informative and entertaining read! Thank you to all involved!

The HD6XX is my daily driver, and I love it, but by the sound of it the HD660S should be quite up there. I will definitely get it when a good opportunity presents itself (or just plain save up for it). :beerchug:

donlin and Mike F like this.
  2. Krutsch
    IMG_20191011_205851.jpg

UPS delivered my new XLR4 cable for the HD-660S. Man, these 'phones are the bargain of the century.

Shareknow, donlin and Ichos like this.
  3. Ichos
    Yes you have pointed correctly as I have been shouting for some time now!
    THIS ARE THE BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY!!!
    believe it or not.

Shareknow likes this.
  4. Ichos
    @kman1211

Strange as we all definitely hear differently,
    I used to own T1.2 and never liked I thought of it as very coloured at the midbass , bass lacking in clarity and very boomy and the upper treble spike presents detail very fake and unnatural with timbre being metallic and out of tone.
    Sold them after a month or so....

Shareknow likes this.
  5. kman1211
    How long ago did you own it? I’ve heard a few T1.2’s, some sounded very different, I hated some of them and loved others. That’s doesn’t correlate with my impressions at all, bass isn’t even remotely boomy in fact it’s more articulate and more controlled than the Hd 6XX’s bass and it doesn’t sound remotely metallic nor do I find the detail artificial. Mine has a similar overall balance to the HD 6XX, similar soundstage size, and notable differences being it’s more 3D sounding and bit more resolving. It’s really just moderately better overall to my ears. It’s not like my modified DT 480 which I find notably better than both the T1.2 and HD 6XX.

If we’re talking about a different pair I heard in the past, now that thing was a mess, super metallic sounding and bright in a way that highlights detail artificially. Didn’t have the bass problem you mention though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  6. Mike F
    I’ve often been very tempted to own some Beyers, but I have to honest, it was their reputation for inconsistency that put me off.

Shareknow likes this.
  7. kman1211
    Sadly the T1 is notorious for being inconsistent, especially the first generation. And Beyer does have inconsistency issues and I’ve personally experienced it a few times. That’s the thing I like about Sennheiser is how good their quality control is, there are bad ones that slip through but it’s not common. While Beyers are usually fairly consistent but then you get those iffy ones floating around due to what seems to be inconsistent quality control, hopefully they’re working on improving it. All the black edition T1.2’s I’ve heard were basically the same thankfully, but there are some iffy T1.2’s floating around and it’s not a headphone I suggest getting used for that very reason. I got mine new with warranty for $650 and it’s a good one, so I’m happy with it.

8. Ichos
    @kman1211

I owned mine for about a month but I have heard extensively another two different pairs from friends of mine.
    Now you are right about the bass as I should have noted that my description was against HD800 and not 650.
    Compared to 650 the bass extends more and is more articulate.
    Still it bleeds into the midbass which is quite elevated.
    Stage is better than 650 and imaging is very good pinpoint.
    Treble is not fatiguing as it's hump is at 7-8 khz region.
    But it's huge about 10db up , this adds up to perceived detail but with the expense of sounding artificial and with very fast decay.
    As always this is my personal view of this more or less excellent headphone , much better than others costing an arm and a leg.
    Please note that I listen to classical and this headphone can be very good with other genres.

9. kman1211
    Oh the bass compared to the HD 800 I get what you’re saying, I thought you meant the Hd 650 and 660 S. The Hd 800 is the more resolving headphone than the T1 if I go from memory on it, the T1 I find more resolving than the HD 6xx family. I like the T1.2 with classical but to me it’s more of a genre master and doesn’t excel at it to the degree some other headphones do. I do find mid-tier and higher-end Sennheiser excel at classical. I always found the HD 600, HD 650, and HD 660 S really came to life with classical. Never owned the HD 800 only auditioned it, so not terribly familiar with it. Modern Beyers seem to be more about genre versatility and suit my personal usage and tastes more overall. I personally mainly listen to classical on my DT 480 as it has better clarity, tighter bass, more detail, more body, more intimate and complete midband, better imaging, and no Beyer peak. My T1.2 is about 2 months old, still forming opinions on it but I do really like it and would be something I would regret letting go of. My HD 6XX is still new and I haven’t settled on what I like it with the most yet or long term feelings about it on my current gear.

10. Deftone
    It's another one of those mid tier headphones that proves you don't need to sell your car to enjoy really great sound.

donlin and Ichos like this.
  11. equalspeace
    I love the 660s so freakin much. Bargain of the century is right!

Shareknow, donlin and Deftone like this.
  12. Ichos
    And the best part is that this is better than competition costing a luxury car :wink:

I know I have been there...

Shareknow likes this.
  13. Deftone
    And considering the "58X is the exact same headphone but cheaper" then it's an even better deal If you buy that one.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    equalspeace likes this.
  14. equalspeace
    Well I don't believe the 58x is the same headphone, as previous owner of the 58x, but I see what you mean.

15. donlin
    I agree, the 58X isn’t the same as the 660s.

First

Back
320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329
331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340
Next

Last