Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Aug 29, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #4,445 of 9,597

I’m beginning to think that the reports that the ZX300’s amp is the same as the WM1A and WM1Z are a bit exaggerated... while I prefer the ergonomics of the ZX300’s size, and the power output is certainly enough for full-size headphones (especially balanced), I’m thinking the impressions I formed listening to HD 820 at shows revealed the higher quality components of the larger, more expensive Sony DAPs compared to what I hear at home. Amazing soundstage for a portable, very crisp and low distortion, but the timbre of the vocals just leave me wanting a little more. I’m sure it’s a case of having been spoiled, if I hadn’t heard better I would be very satisfied XD

Who knows though... I’ll have to check these settings out! Edit: I forget, would you say Sony uses a fixed-band EQ?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #4,446 of 9,597
So I didn't understand what the Sennheiser rep said a few posts above.
There only some minor cosmetic changes plus the new box?
Headphone is exactly the same regarding the sound?
Yes, same sound, a few pieces are different. Out of my HDV 820 amp, the sound is consistent with what I heard at shows. It’s not a whole new headphone, I think they just wanted to differentiate it a bit more from the rest of the line, visually.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #4,449 of 9,597
I'm quite liking these new small improvements, I think it helps separate it a bit from the old design. I might pick one up in future as a second set.
You could buy the changed parts as spareparts later to convert your existing one.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #4,451 of 9,597
Well, Sennheiser have done me a favour (or a disservice) with this cosmetic change. Personally I don’t like it at all so I’ve decided the time has come to order a pair while the ones with the traditional look are still around. I also think that the price hike is totally unjustified so I’ll get one whilst the price is not too far away from what I’m prepared to pay.

I’m away from home working for awhile so I won’t have any chance to compare with the 650 for now, and in fact the 660S is going to be used for listening directly from my phone, but hey, that’s what they’re supposed to be good for!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #4,452 of 9,597
Well, Sennheiser I’ve done me a favour (or a disservice) with this cosmetic change. Personally I don’t like it at all so I’ve decided the time has come to order a pair while the ones with the traditional look are still around. I also think that the price hike is totally unjustified so I’ll get one whilst the price is not too far away from what I’m prepared to pay.

I’m away from home working for awhile so I won’t have any chance to compare with the 650 for now, and in fact the 660S is going to be used for listening directly from my phone, but hey, that’s what they’re supposed to be good for!

Haha, funny after reading the previous exchanges where someone was trying to convince you to buy them.

Really looking forward to your impressions once you do get a chance to listen to them.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #4,453 of 9,597
Well, Sennheiser have done me a favour (or a disservice) with this cosmetic change. Personally I don’t like it at all so I’ve decided the time has come to order a pair while the ones with the traditional look are still around. I also think that the price hike is totally unjustified so I’ll get one whilst the price is not too far away from what I’m prepared to pay.

Mike I am sure I will read some awsome posts from you from now on, really looking forward to your impressions. Btw, which phone will you use for this hard job?
Running to buy popcorn.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #4,454 of 9,597
The only thing I have with me is my iPhone 6S. I won’t be home again for a few weeks and I’m having the 660S sent to the theatre where I’m working. I expect it will arrive sometime before I can go home for the first time, so I expect my initial impressions will be from my iPhone. I’m looking forward to hearing them at last! I will probably save any assessment until I’ve had chance to get used to them and compare them with my 650 and 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back