Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 28, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #4,142 of 9,597
Hi ,
Are you a cable believer or you just want something generic to do your job?
Thanks Ichos,

I'm looking for something well made and generic, short & a funky colour might me nice :)

and no I am not a cable believer

cheers

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #4,144 of 9,597
Thanks Ichos,

I'm looking for something well made and generic, short & a funky colour might me nice :)

and no I am not a cable believer

cheers

I have one of THESE with 3.5mm jack in Red/Black going spare, it's either 1 or 1.25m. As I upgraded to a Forza cable it's virtually unused (iirc it only got about 3hrs burn in), so silly price offers maybe accepted (plus postage from London)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #4,147 of 9,597
I have one of THESE with 3.5mm jack in Red/Black going spare, it's either 1 or 1.25m. As I upgraded to a Forza cable it's virtually unused (iirc it only got about 3hrs burn in), so silly price offers maybe accepted (plus postage from London)
Hi I've PM'd you

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #4,149 of 9,597
I'm sorry Danny I'm not sure I would ever trade the 660's in for anything ever. They've been a revelation for me. Absolutely stunning.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #4,151 of 9,597
Anyone looking to trade their HD660s for the shure se535s? Thanks
I asked my friend since I knew he was thinking about selling his HD660S but he ended up giving it to his youngest daughter since she isn't very particular and just wanted a headphone, unlike the two older ones who really didn't like the HD660S, preferring either HD650, EL-8 open, or Ypsilon S2 (granted the two older daughters are professional musicians- violin and piano).

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #4,152 of 9,597
I asked my friend since I knew he was thinking about selling his HD660S but he ended up giving it to his youngest daughter since she isn't very particular and just wanted a headphone, unlike the two older ones who really didn't like the HD660S, preferring either HD650, EL-8 open, or Ypsilon S2 (granted the two older daughters are professional musicians- violin and piano).
Being a professional musician does not mean, that they (sorry Mike, you are an exception) really know better than other what sounds good. In case of the friends 3 doughters, I guess the youngest one is the only one who cares....I know some musicians myself, all have some state of hearing defects, especially violin players, and the music listening chain which they prefer is hilarious at times.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #4,153 of 9,597
Being a professional musician does not mean, that they really know better than other what sounds good. In case of the friends 3 doughters, I guess the youngest one is the only one who cares....I know some musicians myself, all have some state of hearing defects, especially violin players, and the music listening chain which they prefer is hilarious at times.

True, but mainly it comes down to how different our hearings are, What sounds horrible to one person is euphoria to another, regardless of backgrounds.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #4,154 of 9,597
Yep..being a musician is not exactly a guarantee for great taste in headphones or gear.
Most professional lawn mowers are in contact with grass on a daily basis but I wouldn’t trust their biology skills blind:p

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #4,155 of 9,597
As a professional musician and a life long H-Fi and headphone enthusiast I have to respond to this.

There's no doubt that the expectations and tastes of Hi-Fi and headphone enthusiasts differ (at times not inconsiderably) from those of professional musicians and recording engineers. To list these would require much more time than I'm going to spend writing this post, and indeed it could be the subject of an entire thread, but one of the differences, as I perceive it, is that very often enthusiasts place great importance on fidelity (which can mean a whole raft of things to different people) whereas professionals are more interested in a natural balance of all aspects of the production, and especially in tonal accuracy. I have heard quite a few (and own at least one) headphone which is regarded without question as being 'better' than the HD650. Technically, and in very many ways, especially in terms of fidelity, the HD800 is vastly superior to the HD650, and yet very often it doesn't satisfy musically. The reason I believe is that the 650, whilst far from perfect, presents a better balance and most importantly, better tonal accuracy. FWIW the HD650's sound much more like my ATC SL100A monitors than my HD800's do.

There's a great irony in the fact that enthusiasts often spend thousands chasing that last little bit of fidelity that they think will take them closer to the original source, when in fact very often what they are hearing is almost nothing like what the recording engineer and musicians themselves heard.

Individual taste in headphones is just that - individual taste, but to suggest that professional musicians who play the instruments themselves, and in many cases have heard what they sound like on replays in a recording studio, don't know better than non musicians what acoustic instruments should sound like in a good transducer (whether a loudspeaker or headphone) is, frankly, hilarious. Piano is often said to be the hardest test for a transducer. Pianist's generally know what a piano sounds like! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back