Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 2, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,451 of 9,597
So cymbals and triagle sound metallic, see the irony in what you write. They are made from metal, aren't they?
I'm pretty sure that it was a sarcastic comment... :p

Right?

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,452 of 9,597
Sure.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #3,453 of 9,597
lol

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #3,455 of 9,597
The HD660S pads are the same as the replacement pads for the HD600. They influence the sound in different stages of wear. Just got new pads for my HD650. There is only one official replacement pad out there for the whole series. HD580 to HD660S.
Sennheiser posted on Head-Fi that the pads are slightly different / improved / roomier.

No doubt they are only selling one type of ear pad for the entire line, but unless Sennheiser’s rep on here was flat out wrong, I take it to mean that the pads which debuted with the 660S are now “the” pad going forward for the line.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #3,456 of 9,597
HD 58X Jubilee is going to be interesting mix in all this. It's interesting how closely it reflects the HD 650 curve yet has clearly has more balanced treble (not as large peaks, less dips), yet more sub bass. I would love to see HD 660 S graph overlaid but... Really looking forward to hearing (or more like reading) how these three compare.
VwjDNEYvQSOgGRi1qJrU_FR-DF_58X-prod_versus_650.jpg

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #3,458 of 9,597
By the way, does the HD 660 S use the same headband foam as HD 650?

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #3,461 of 9,597
Jun 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #3,462 of 9,597
How do they sound ? look very interesting
i have joined last Massdrop for the dekoni pads and i ordered the (Elite Velour , Elite Hybrid , Sheepskin) to see how they sound
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/63970

Measurements are on another site from where the pic is from. I cannot link it, as i will be banned as per head-fi rules. I accidently linked from there before, and warned.
I don't think any of the pads except stock measure as well, but that is not to say one could not enjoy the less accurate, colored sound.
They seemed to measure better than the hybrid hm5 (which was not as crazy as the pleather hm5), but not as good as the stock pad.
I am interested in sheepskin measurements as i love the leathers1

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #3,463 of 9,597
This is my only mod on HD 660s. I'm listening with it for about a month and still like it. I can recomend It for those, who feels, that highest frequencies are too much there.
This simple mod doesn't cut voices and mid centric instruments, but place them further from head.
Also Bass increases noticable.
Treble instruments, like high hat, snares or cymblas, suddenly haven't that piercing strike, but nice smoothness.
I didn't like these type of mods, putting something in front of the driver, highs become sibilant or uneven in most cases. But on 660s, its realy listenable and more natural, with only less detailed and mutted treble. I like it for music with high hats and cymbals - (prog)rock, edm, metal, some pop ...
Also its non-destructive and reversible. Only thing, I use, is thin foam pad for AKG K701 (from ali, I can find a link). Spare 6xx foams, with circle cutted, should be also good option.
146457635_422x403_16.jpg

EDIT: But still, warmer amp or EQ heigh freqs, is better choice :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #3,464 of 9,597
Measurements are on another site from where the pic is from. I cannot link it, as i will be banned as per head-fi rules. I accidently linked from there before, and warned.
I don't think any of the pads except stock measure as well, but that is not to say one could not enjoy the less accurate, colored sound.
They seemed to measure better than the hybrid hm5 (which was not as crazy as the pleather hm5), but not as good as the stock pad.
I am interested in sheepskin measurements as i love the leathers1
i am not a measurements guy so to be honest i didn't get your exact thoughts except that you like the stock pads :wink:
btw i am not using my HD660 for mixing or clinical listening.

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #3,465 of 9,597
This is my only mod on HD 660s. I'm listening with it for about a month and still like it. I can recomend It for those, who feels, that highest frequencies are too much there.
This simple mod doesn't cut voices and mid centric instruments, but place them further from head.
Also Bass increases noticable.
Treble instruments, like high hat, snares or cymblas, suddenly haven't that piercing strike, but nice smoothness.
I didn't like these type of mods, putting something in front of the driver, highs become sibilant or uneven in most cases. But on 660s, its realy listenable and far more natural, than original state.
Also its non-destructive and reversible. Only thing, I use, is thin foam pad for AKG K701 (from ali, I can find a link). Spare 6xx foams, with circle cutted, should be ok too, but they are thinner.
146457635_422x403_16.jpg
what is your amp ... i am not getting that piercing highs as you describe it , to the contrary i am looking for more details and air hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back