Sennheiser HD650 vs Grado SR325is
Oct 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking on Grado SR325is for some time now, and I was almost sure I wanted to buy them, but now I'm doubting..... Most people who like grado listen to rock with lots of guitar play... But I listen to rock/pop/punk type of music, my favorite band is Paramore. Please listen to them on Youtube or something so you understand what I'm after... I don't have money to change something after buying, so I will proberly have the headphones I buy, some years atleast.....

Please don't just point out what headphone you have and that you love them... :p I want to know what's best for my type.... The best would to get some help from someone who listens to Paramore....

I'm still leaning most at Grados.....

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 16
Anything that sounds like Paramore or Metric, or newer Yeah Yeah Yeahs for that matter, will sound pretty awesome on a pair of Grados. Rock/pop/punk stuff is still generally generic rock, which Grados positively slay at. The 325is is also killer at producing good female vocals, imo, so there's another plus for you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 16
I would strongly recommend purchasing from a vendor that allows returns. Both of the manufacturers you are looking into have a very unique sound.

For what its worth, I think the Grado's would be fine for you, provided you are not bothered by the comfort factor. Grado's with bowls may be something of an acquired taste if you have a predisposition to their unique ear"pads".

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything that sounds like Paramore or Metric, or newer Yeah Yeah Yeahs for that matter, will sound pretty awesome on a pair of Grados. Rock/pop/punk stuff is still generally generic rock, which Grados positively slay at. The 325is is also killer at producing good female vocals, imo, so there's another plus for you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, thanks ! That was enough to convince me that I should buy Grados !
gs1000.gif

I just wasn't sure if Grado is good for that music, but now I am. Thank you.

EDIT: RagingForces, The problem is that here in Sweden there's only one place you can get Grado (if you don't want to pay 200$ more than they cost o.O), ONE online store in the whole country !! And this store doesn't take returns, except if the box is not opened.... At first I thought the comfort would be a big problem, but now after using some old VERY uncomfortable headphones for 2 months, I think Grado will be good... And I take sound before comfort.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 16
I can't go straight from the Sennheiser to the Grado. They are SO different so if you're considering both, I would try them. Too expensive for a chance.

From Sennheiser to Grados, the 325i sounds extremely toppy and almost unbearable. After listening and aclimatising to their sound, the Sennheisers sound muffled and bass dominated.

I find the Grados are difficult to keep on for a long time without pain!!

Ian

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 16
I would say it depends on two things;
!
1) whether you want to be in the hall ,sen's, or on the stage next to the sax
player,grado's.
2)How long you listen at one time.Do you want 2 hours of intense music, grado's
or all day comfort,but less engaging IMO, music,sen's.
At the end of the day you really have to listen to both pairs.I have and prefer the voicing of the grado's.
Ps ,if you keep looking at this forum you will end up with both ,i know i will one day.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 16
Hm.. if the OP wishes it, I can let him borrow mine to listen to. No joke, I'm serious. But I don't have a SR-325i anymore, just this SR-225i.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I've previously owned the SR325is headphones and currently own the HD650 (with SAA Equinox Cable) and I would choose the Senns...hands down.

I never got into the SR325is headphones. I found the high end way too hot and shrilly and fatiguing over time. Not to mention, they were incredibly uncomfortable and heavy.

The HD650s are a definite cut above. Now my favourite headphones are the RS1s (also currently own) and these are the best I've heard next to the HD800.

Cheers,
Peter

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 16
For me the HD650's are the all-rounders which simply doesn't create listening fatique. Unfortunately, with some music cd's they are simply boring. The Senn's OTOH are the opposite. They are more exciting and with some music cd's can become harsh.

For rock, to my ears, a pair of Denons is a dark horse, like the D2000 or D5000's, the latter of which I have. I really love rock on the Denons.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thanks ! That was enough to convince me that I should buy Grados !
gs1000.gif

I just wasn't sure if Grado is good for that music, but now I am. Thank you.

No problem! Glad to be of assistance. If, for some reason, it's prohibitively hard to get Grados in your part of the world, you could always go for an (also Grado-made) Alessandro MS-2i, which is $299, shipped for free from their website. I keep plugging them, but for your needs, I bet an Alessandro MS-1i would do rather well. It's much more affordable at only $110, mind you, but $$$ very well spent. AMAZING for rock and pop recordings. It does very little wrong at that price-point.
L3000.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 16
According to your music taste - Grados hands down.

Senns are boring, Grados are fun.

Senns are comfortable, grados aren't.

Grados are up front, in your face, senns are veiled with bigger soundstage.

Senns are like a glass of wine, grados are like a shot of whisky.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 16
Muse fan, eh?

Want to hear the gritty bass in Panic Station and not have your ear obliterated by the guitar?

Sennheiser

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Those two headphones are complete opposites IMO.  Personally i dont really like either, would rather have something more neutral that sits in the middle.  I wouldn't recommend you buy either without hearing them first so you know what your getting into. Trying asking your local stores if they have any you can try before you buy.

For me the answer was Ms-Pros.  Going from the Ms-Pro to a Grado 225i or 335i just gives me an instant headache.  Going to the HD650 is like listening to the Ms-Pros with cotton wool stuffed in your ears. But for some either extreme may be what they are looking for so the only way to know is to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back