Sennheiser HD650 vs. AKG Q701; is the HD650 worth getting?
May 25, 2015 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

biggbenn74

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi, it's been a while. Glad to be back. I'm considering getting myself *finally* a set of Sennheiser HD650's. I already have 2 mid-fi's that I adore: the AKG Q701 and the Audio Technica AD900. I'm currently running a Schiit Audio Magni amp to power either one. But for comparisons sake, since I feel more people own the AKG's, would it be worth the $250 to get the HD650? I've wanted a set for years now.

One more thing, yes, I know my amp isnt the best out there, but I'm happy with it. It drives the Q's with ease from an iPod.

May 25, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello, Head-Fi, it's been a while. Glad to be back. I'm considering getting myself *finally* a set of Sennheiser HD650's. I already have 2 mid-fi's that I adore: the AKG Q701 and the Audio Technica AD900. I'm currently running a Schiit Audio Magni amp to power either one. But for comparisons sake, since I feel more people own the AKG's, would it be worth the $250 to get the HD650? I've wanted a set for years now.

One more thing, yes, I know my amp isnt the best out there, but I'm happy with it. It drives the Q's with ease from an iPod.

That really depends on your preferences. If you really like the Q701 sound, with tight and informative bass, very good soundstage and separation, and overall a very detailed / analytical presentation, then no, the Senns are a downgrade.

On the other hand, if you would appreciate having a more laid back, cohesive sound, much more forgiving of poorly recorded music, then the HD650 should work very well for you.

Both are capable headphones but in a very different way.

May 25, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 12
The 650s are more of a side-grade than an upgrade. The reason to get them would be for a different sound, not because they sound better.

May 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 12
I have had (and sold) the Q701 and currently I have the K7XX and the HD650 in my heavy rotation.

The HD650 is a must try for this price. They are amazing headphones, I would go for the, don't wait.

Cheers,
K

May 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks everyone so far. Yes, I do enjoy the soundstage aspect and I DO have some music that is a little less detailed that I listen to often. Anyone else have any opinions on them?

May 25, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 12

+1 for the HD650.  They're amongst the best HPs out there for the price.  When properly driven their sound's outstanding.  

May 26, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 12
In the last few months i have gotten an LCD2f, HE560 and the HD650 and the K7XX.

The HD650 still gets an amazing amount of headtime with this strong competition. With a BH crack or thre H10 and even withe Cayin C5 amp they sound magical.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back