Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #11,537 of 46,499
If it's anything like the K702 Anniversary, it would definitely affect sound quality.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #11,538 of 46,499
Quote:
Just a hint: The pads on HD650 are actually washable. Use mild detergent and rinse with a small amount of softener and they will be as good as new. The stiffness and the shape will be back. At least I think it is worth trying this before spending $70 on new ones.

Not that I don't believe you, but I've washed other pads ( ie he400 velours ) and it definitely softened them up. If this happened to the 650 pads it would certainly be detrimental to the sound. Have you tried this personally? Just curious. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #11,540 of 46,499
Quote:

I had a pair of new HD650 pads that I purchased recently but was holding on installing them as my original pads were not so worn out. So after the reading I checked the pads and wow, the foam inside new pads is much stiffer comparing to my old (black drivers) original HD650 pads, even that they don't have a lot of mileage on them. They are also deeper as picture above shows.

So here's a conversation starter:
So guys last night I pulled out my ruler to measure my... nevermind you won't understand anyway
rolleyes.gif

Jokes aside, anyone know where in Australia I can buy replacement pads?
$90 for some foam and velour cloth is asking way too much IMO. Like everyone else here, struggling, waiting a few more months before being able to justify this purchase

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #11,543 of 46,499
Washing the pads is fine imo. I do it regularly and have yet to notice it affect the sound quality. I guess it's just another one of those things in audiophilia that are way exaggerated and mystified. To me it's a necessity in terms of comfort; I can't stand when the pads start feeling a little greasy.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #11,546 of 46,499
I think this ear cushion thing is being taken way too far and misconstrued. The claim is that a squashed pad, regardless of how it happens, will be detrimental to the sound quality.

Read into it as much as you like, but that is it. There is no snake oil, no magic, no unicorns.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #11,547 of 46,499
I think this ear cushion thing is being taken way too far and misconstrued. The claim is that a squashed pad, regardless of how it happens, will be detrimental to the sound quality.

Read into it as much as you like, but that is it. There is no snake oil, no magic, no unicorns.

Not sure I get what you're saying. I haven't seen anyone get too far off point or venture into unicorn territory. Unless you simply disagree with the premise.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #11,548 of 46,499
Quote:
The ear cushions don't affect the sound unless they get really squashed. They are washable and can last for years. 

Did you check the measurements in the earlier post, those were with "one or two year old pads"? Also my own pads were far far from "squashed" but the new pads just completely transformed HD650.
Again, I could be wrong but there is a suspect that Senns changed the internal foam at some point as mine despite still being in good shape were very soft in comparison.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #11,549 of 46,499
Hehe, to each their own. I actually find that peak in the mid treble with the new pads a bit bothersome. It makes HD650 sound somewhat thin and cold IMO. I can't wait for the pads on my pair to compress and to tame that peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back