Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #11,176 of 46,499
Quote:
If you remove a little of the foam thats stuffed in the driver, things open up. But at the cost of tightness in the bass a little (but defo more bass). I did this when I owned the 650's and I really thought they benefited. Also a powerful tube amp, aswell as a stretched headband with new pads, so they don't squash helps :)  

haha thanks for the advice. I'm a little scared to mod but may give it a shot at some point just to hear the changes :p 

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #11,177 of 46,499
Definitely go for the ODAC. I had one for about a month before I got my Bifrost and I've noticed almost no difference. It's great. The only downfall is it doesn't stack well with anything. :p

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #11,178 of 46,499
I enjoy my HD650, and I thinking of getting a 4ft cable for portable use... (For a quiet office, etc.)
I don't want to pay "too much" for a cable since I already have "better" headphones.... yet I really enjoy my HD650s and want to use them more!

I'm thinking of getting an 8 strand BTG audio cable, 4ft, terminated with a 3.5 mini-jack for AQ Dragonfly/Fiio E17/iBasso Dx100 use.
Has anyone heard this combo? How well does it go together?

Also: Should I go for silver-plated or solid copper?
I do not find the stock cable sibilant... though I had sibilance issues with my T1 before I paired it with good tubes on the WA2. I know some say silver opens it up a bit, and others say it makes it harsh. Some say it depends on the cable. Thoughts?

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #11,179 of 46,499
Quote:
You guys have convinced me. My 650s will be arriving tomorrow. Upgrading from an E17>598 combo. I've decided on the Crack and will be ordering within the week. Not much left in the budget for a DAC to go with the Crack>650. Thinking about a Modi, ODAC, or MS II.

Any experience with any of those DACs and Crack/650? I know I can use the LO of the E17 to feed the Crack but I would like to have a dedicated DAC for it.

I also quite like my Matrix M-Stage DAC (the standalone $300 one, not the integrated one that comes with the Matrix M-Stage Amp USB version). It is quite smooth, and suits my HD-650 pretty well. 

But, I have to say I have very little experience with DACs, so can't quite compare it to all the other popular DACs out there (such as the ODAC and Bifrost that were mentioned). It IS much better than my motherboard's onboard audio, for sure, though. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #11,180 of 46,499
Quote:
The bass is only 2-3 percent of the total audible spectrum. Why should we base our headphone purchase on that?

But, the bass is quite an important part. It's kind of like saying that the blanket on your bed only takes up 2% of your bedroom.  However, try to sleep on a cold night without that blanket, and you'll realize just how important that 2% is.  
size]

With that said, I think the Sennheiser "6" series does bass quite well.  Also, I don't get where people can complain that the Sennheiser headphones are so expensive.  If you know where to shop, you can get a great bargain - I'd consider $400 for a new pair of HD-650s quite good.  Plus, I've never had a headphone fit nearly as good as the Sennheiser "6" series for me.  Plus, the "5" series has some good comfort, too.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #11,181 of 46,499
Ooooh... the Headroom Micro DAC is what I forgot about! I should consider that for my next DAC purchase... (or, more specifically, replacement for my Matrix DAC). 

Also, I should mention just for the sake of the guy who originally asked the question, I heard there is a big difference between the HRT Music Streamer II and the Music Streamer II+, and I'm seeing that in their prices on Amazon, too (~$150 to ~$350). Not saying I don't believe in your review of the MS II, but I just wanted to let the guy there's a difference between the two. 

For the record, I have no idea how the Music Streamer II+ sounds. But it's just a DAC I wanted to consider. 

I have the MSii+. Don't run it with an O2, but with the Magni and my HE-500, it's amazeballs.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #11,183 of 46,499
Quote:

But, the bass is quite an important part. It's kind of like saying that the blanket on your bed only takes up 2% of your bedroom.  However, try to sleep on a cold night without that blanket, and you'll realize just how important that 2% is.  
size]

With that said, I think the Sennheiser "6" series does bass quite well.  Also, I don't get where people can complain that the Sennheiser headphones are so expensive.  If you know where to shop, you can get a great bargain - I'd consider $400 for a new pair of HD-650s quite good.  Plus, I've never had a headphone fit nearly as good as the Sennheiser "6" series for me.  Plus, the "5" series has some good comfort, too.

The air in your bedroom takes about 95% of space (compare it to the midrange+treble). Try to sleep on any night without the air in you room. Without the blanket you will catch cold but without air you will suffocate
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #11,185 of 46,499
Completely  agree HD 650 is one of the rarest Headphones in which you can find  hardly any cons.Every aspect(COMFORT, Build Quality, Sound) of this Audiophile Headphones is so amazing .

I agree with everything you say except the build quality. The chipping of the paint on the headband is really bad. I have AKG k701 too and at nearly half the price the build quality is much better than hd650. I love the sound of my hd650 but I don't like the build quality.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #11,186 of 46,499
Quote:
Completely  agree HD 650 is one of the rarest Headphones in which you can find  hardly any cons.Every aspect(COMFORT, Build Quality, Sound) of this Audiophile Headphones is so amazing .

This is a good point. I was just thinking about the lack of major flaws with the 650. Most all hp's that I've owned have at least one major flaw. Even when I've been able to step up into flagship models with exorbitant prices there was still a major flaw there. With the lcd2.2, for me it was the weight. I was drawn hypnotically to the beautiful sound signature. But then an hour later it was very uncomfortable to wear. Maybe I would have eventually gotten used to the weight. Don't know. 

My perception is that the community feels the "flaw" with the 650 is the veil. Because I've never heard any such veil on my pair, that eliminates the flaw. They are as close to perfect as anything I've owned. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #11,187 of 46,499
Quote:
If you remove a little of the foam thats stuffed in the driver, things open up. But at the cost of tightness in the bass a little (but defo more bass). I did this when I owned the 650's and I really thought they benefited. Also a powerful tube amp, aswell as a stretched headband with new pads, so they don't squash helps :)  

Could you give me advice on what pads you found to be good with HD650 ?

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #11,188 of 46,499
What's the overall sound signature? Is it warm? Or cool/neutral? Bright? Dark? 

I don't know how to appraise the DAC. The only other one I ever used was the E7. The Magni is less warm than the E9 and less mind-bendingly awful than the O2.

I like the MSii+, but I have too little experience to advise.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #11,189 of 46,499
Hey everybody, new here on head-fi (lurking quite a while though).

Just thought i share my lucky buy.
I found and bought a pair of 3 month old 650's for 230$, don't really know how it is on the US side but here in northern europe it was quite a steal.

And i must say i am in love, best price/preformance i've ever heard.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #11,190 of 46,499
Hey everybody, new here on head-fi (lurking quite a while though).

Just thought i share my lucky buy.
I found and bought a pair of 3 month old 650's for 230$, don't really know how it is on the US side but here in northern europe it was quite a steal.

And i must say i am in love, best price/preformance i've ever heard.

Nice deal. I also live in Nothern Europe (Sweden) and 230 dollars (1400 swedish kronor?) is a great price!

Welcime to head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back