Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #10,861 of 46,499
No you didn't. 
size]

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #10,862 of 46,499
Quote:
Easy solution is not to buy **** schiit products. That way you will never risk damaging your headphones either way. 

Quote:
Care to elaborate.

Quote:

So the problem is with Schiit products then...

Edit: Oh dear. Hopefully I haven't opened a can of worms. This will be my last post on this subject, and I'm going to step away from the thread until this subject is over.

Guys, please don't start that Schiit here... (and yes, it is a very well-known can of worms. See the story of NwAvGuy)

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #10,863 of 46,499
Quote:
It's worth a shot.  Even among the Denon line the headphone stage output could be very different. 

The ebay amp went for $43 plus $22 to ship. I lost by a dollar due to being on my stinking laptop and not clicking fast enough. 
size]

You think so? How do you know the guy who won hadn't put a bid in for over $100, which you would have had to beat even if you'd been fast enough. That's Ebay for you.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #10,864 of 46,499
Quote:
Guys, please don't start that Schiit here... (and yes, it is a very well-known can of worms. See the story of NwAvGuy)

Yeah, seems the Head-Fi staff are very anal about this Schiit. In an unrelated post I embedded just an image url (from he who you have just named) and all it showed was his own personal testing data on a Cowon player. I was not posting on his behalf, nor did it actually link directly to his site, in fact I couldn't have cared less where that data came from but I was still censored with a note saying to refer to the terms and conditions. Needless to say, I won't be doing anything of the sorts again.... 

Having said all that, this thread has been thoroughly derailed. Let me bring this back to the main subject matter. Why we all love the HD 650s! 
beyersmile.png

Personally I've thought of myself as an audiophile for a long while, listening to my old Senn PX100s and B&O A8s. 

I was wrong. 

After lurking on the forums for a bit I finally went to a store to demo some separate rigs. Went straight to the HD 600s and thought, 'ok, I can hear an improvement but the price really isn't justified' then the salesperson kindly offered me a pair of HD 650s and my mind was BLOWN. I just fell in love with the warm, lush and dreamy quality of the 650s. 

I bought them on the spot. 
biggrin.gif

Since then, I've demoed plenty more head phones such as the LCD 2/3s, HD 800s, Grado PS1000, Grado HP2 and whilst some I have considered sonically superior, they bring to mind my initial reaction with the HD 600s.

So I guess the HD 650s will always remain my babies even when I do choose to "upgrade". 

Obviously, I've been using my 650s to blow my friends away. My girlfriend is now trying to cut down on the clothes and buy herself some head-fi. (I'd say that's pretty successful) 
wink.gif

On a side note, does it not annoy anybody else that there is no dedicated HD 650 smiley? 

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #10,865 of 46,499
Quote:

I haven't heard of this. So is the problem gone now, or is it something I should still worry about?

Quote:

You think so? How do you know the guy who won hadn't put a bid in for over $100, which you would have had to beat even if you'd been fast enough. That's Ebay for you.

+1

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #10,867 of 46,499
Quote:
I haven't heard of this. So is the problem gone now, or is it something I should still worry about?

Given how I was censored? Yes, I think it's worth still worrying about if you don't want to be banned. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Now that you mention it, they do have the two big comparable phones to the 650's; the 880's and 701's. But my favorite smiley is still the one with those godawful floats.

k701smile.gif
 <- The 701s look nothing like the 650s haha. 
dt880smile.png
 <- I'd be happy for an 880 clone with two cable connections to represent the 600/650s though.
floatsmile.png
 <- Epic floats ftw. :wink:

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #10,869 of 46,499
Quote:
Oh I meant the Schiit amps, not nwavguy. I'd made a note to take a closer look at them later since so many people here have said that Schiits pair well with the HD650s.

I've tried the Schiit Lyr with the HD 650s in direct comparison to my Woo WA6. I found the Lyr to be much more powerful but as a result more noisy with discernable static at the 10 o'clock mark and harsher on the treble end (they managed to make the HD 650s sibilant! didn't think that was possible). The soundstage was better one the Woo (but I have upgraded my rectifier) and offered a much warmer sound that complements well with the nature of the 650s. I haven't heard the Valhalla or Asgard though, so maybe give those a try. Especially since the Asgard allows you to tube roll. 
dt880smile.png

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #10,870 of 46,499
Quote:

I've tried the Schiit Lyr with the HD 650s in direct comparison to my Woo WA6. I found the Lyr to be much more powerful but as a result more noisy with discernable static at the 10 o'clock mark and harsher on the treble end (they managed to make the HD 650s sibilant! didn't think that was possible). The soundstage was better one the Woo (but I have upgraded my rectifier) and offered a much warmer sound that complements well with the nature of the 650s. I haven't heard the Valhalla or Asgard though, so maybe give those a try. Especially since the Asgard allows you to tube roll. 
dt880smile.png

Hmm...the lyr is silent for me at 10:00 and any other volume. I never have any issues with noise. It's possible that tubes are the culprit of the noise. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #10,871 of 46,499
Quote:
Hmm...the lyr is silent for me at 10:00 and any other volume. I never have any issues with noise. It's possible that tubes are the culprit of the noise. 

Hmmmm interesting... I tried them at the store with with stock tubes. Could be a power supply issue, or maybe it was just a dodgy/older Lyr. Having said that Schiit offer some of the best warranty policies I've seen ever.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #10,872 of 46,499
Yes we all know that this forum censors anything that could hurt its interests with its sponsors - or you should know if you don't. 

On topic tho, I did pick up a used pair of HD 555's to compare to the HD 650's to see how much of a difference there is. Some people in this thread said they sound the same. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #10,874 of 46,499
Quote:

dt880smile.png

I thought the Asgard had no tubes? Or can you add them on somehow? I think I might want to go with solid state, because I don't think the hassle with replacing tubes and waiting for them to warm up etc is worth it. But, I haven't heard a tube amp yet, so that could change.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #10,875 of 46,499
  Any past he-500 owners in here? Bought an he-500(upgraded from hd-600 + asgard) and paired it with a project sunrise II amp. While its definetely  better than my previous setup i'm not sure if its 3x the price worth. I have an aftermarket copper cable otw so ill wait for that but i cant imagine it really opening these up much more. Anyone come back to the hd650 after having a he-500 without any regret? I know these scale well so im hoping the power from my amp and maybe an upgraded silver cable will get me close enough. Im not hurting for money but i cant really justify having a $1300 setup that im not absolutely blown away by. Also looking at moving to speakers  or getting two mid range headphones 1 closed for bass and hiphop and maybe a pair of grado or something for acoustic/rock but that's another forum :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back