Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #9,166 of 46,499
Quote:
Seems like the majority opinion is for the Lyr....

someone really should rename this thread the HD650 and Lyr Appreciation Thread :p

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #9,168 of 46,499
I like the ALO Pan Am. If I had the spare cash, I would love one as it also has a built in DAC. And it drives the HD650 really well.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #9,169 of 46,499
Well, right now I'm collecting funds for my HD650 purchase. I bought the Pan Am on Black Friday, $100 off. I'm using it right now with my K702s, and, well, now I'm able to see how it, once upon a time, was a flagship. I can't wait for my HD650s. And then the LCD-3s. Doh, I'm getting too far ahead of myself here. But seriously, is the darkmart refurb a good deal? Besides the credit card fraud and information trafficking?

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #9,170 of 46,499
I thought I needed an external amp to listen to my PC, but the 650 seems to sound fine to me. Asus Realtek HD Audio Manager is installed on the PC, which is a few months old, built from components by a friend. Supposedly the sound card is supposed to be really good (for work reasons-I was to use Dragon to dictate things for work), not sure where to find more info on the card. I did notice my desktop speakers, Audioengine A2's, sounded much better when connected to the new PC (so did my 18 year old daughter, who commented on how great it sounded without prompting from me). I'll try the headphone out into my HiSound Studio when I have a chance, see if it makes any difference. Just curious if others have had same experience.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #9,171 of 46,499
Quote:
Well, right now I'm collecting funds for my HD650 purchase. I bought the Pan Am on Black Friday, $100 off. I'm using it right now with my K702s, and, well, now I'm able to see how it, once upon a time, was a flagship. I can't wait for my HD650s. And then the LCD-3s. Doh, I'm getting too far ahead of myself here. But seriously, is the darkmart refurb a good deal? Besides the credit card fraud and information trafficking?

LOL what ? 

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #9,172 of 46,499
Hi there,

Well finally I got my HD 650, I bought them from Senheiser online store last black friday. I´m pairing them with my Schiit Valhalla and cambridge audio magicdac 100. And after 20 burn in hours I am begining to hear that sound everybody seems to love.

I try them using amperex, tesla and telefunken tubes, I have to say that Tesla tubes do a great job with these cans, but telefunken´s are both great... Amperex seems to be my favorites paired with my k702´s.

Well HD650 are really great and now I´m here like a bunch of you ... loving these Senheiser´s.

Cheers!

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #9,173 of 46,499
Quote:
Hi there,

Well finally I got my HD 650, I bought them from Senheiser online store last black friday. I´m pairing them with my Schiit Valhalla and cambridge audio magicdac 100. And after 20 burn in hours I am begining to hear that sound everybody seems to love.

I try them using amperex, tesla and telefunken tubes, I have to say that Tesla tubes do a great job with these cans, but telefunken´s are both great... Amperex seems to be my favorites paired with my k702´s.

Well HD650 are really great and now I´m here like a bunch of you ... loving these Senheiser´s.

Cheers!

WOOHOO winning :p 

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #9,177 of 46,499
Quote:
Seems like a good setup! Does the Bifrost + Asgard combo had a good synergy with HD650?

Yes, it's a good pairing. But you will always wonder if you should have gone straight to the lyr...the answer is yes. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #9,178 of 46,499
Quote:
I'm currently the midst of deciding between the HiFiMan HE-500, Sennheiser HD 650 and Grado RS1i's for classic rock/alternative/metal music. This probably isn't the place to be posting this, but I figured I'd try anyway. Has anyone here tried all three of these headphones and have any remarks about comfort and sound quality?

I didn't want this one to get away without putting in a word for the Hifiman HE-500 .... blows the other 2 out of the water.... IMHO.  Usually these are ruled out because of budgetary constraints.... but if you can afford them  you should do some more soul searching before jumping on the 650s.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #9,179 of 46,499
I would have offer another opinion here. I owned the he500 and now own the hd650. They have a different presentation so it depends on what you are after. The he500 have some of the best mids in it's price range, but actually I prefer the mids of the 650. The he500 is technically better but I found myself reaching for the 650 time and time again until I sold the he500.

Please understand that the he500 is a great hp. I really do love the planar sound. But if I were going for an open planar, I'd pick the he400 as it adds better bass response and is very close to the he500. The other issue with the he500 is the weight. It's heavy...at least for me. The 650 is about a third of the weight and infinitely more comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back