Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #8,147 of 46,499
Quote:

The iPod is filled with lossless music exlusively, the Burson is fed by a V-DAC at 96/24 with lossless source music.
Sure, the Burson is more dynamic and has more "body", but the ipod music sounds passable. I must have low standards.
Right now I'm listening at another computer set-up with X-Fi Go! and a Logitech amplifier which a pretty darn mediocre set-up. It's more dynamic than the iPod, but it lacks warmth and sounds a bit tinny. Still, it sounds far from bad.

I have been wearing these 650's for 3 hours without end now. Lovely.

That sounds a lot better
wink.gif
  Dynamics, body, and midbass control are the first things to go when underamping HD650.  Sure it sounds passable....but we don't buy former-flagships (or when I bought mine...flagships) for "passable" audio, right?
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #8,148 of 46,499
Quote:

That sounds a lot better
wink.gif
  Dynamics, body, and midbass control are the first things to go when underamping HD650.  Sure it sounds passable....but we don't buy former-flagships (or when I bought mine...flagships) for "passable" audio, right?
wink.gif

The Burson has awesome PRaT and is very musical, but I like how soothing and relaxing this former flagship is with lesser sources and amplification just as well.
I'm not saying it's what it should be used for, but it still sounds awesome.. enough.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #8,149 of 46,499
Quote:

The Burson has awesome PRaT and is very musical, but I like how soothing and relaxing this former flagship is with lesser sources and amplification just as well.
I'm not saying it's what it should be used for, but it still sounds awesome.. enough.

True enough!  But HD650 is of high enough purebreed pedigree to demand to be fed only organic premium foods
L3000.gif

It'll sound good enough on modest equipment, but it's a phenominal headphone that'll keep rewarding the best of feeds!

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #8,150 of 46,499
Quote:
I have two tube amps and two GTX480s, I'm all set for winter.

Lol, i've got my lyr now and i've got 3 480s in my rig.. I'm just gonna leave my pc on all day and i won't even need the heat on. And plus one of my fans broke so it runs even hotter than before, i should probably get that fixed 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #8,151 of 46,499
Interesting.  I tried the HD650 straight out of my iPhone 4 and if it had been a horse--I would have shot it.  Out of the op-amp headphone feed in my Pioneer receiver, it really opened up, but the Lyr--well, the Lyr lights up the HD650 like the 4th of July.  I started with some Amperex orange globe A-frames--and they have a nice warm tubey sound.  I was so happy with that combination and was skeptical of tube rolling--so it took me a while to try anything else.  I recently switched to the stock GE 6BZ7 tubes and was surprised at the brighter sound.  The 6BZ7 tubes give the HD650 a little extra bite, although they don't sound quite as smooth as the Amperex tubes.  You guys with Lyrs should mention the tubes you're using.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #8,153 of 46,499
I'm using the GE's and I like them a lot. Just got a loaner box of tubes from another headfier. I really like the Lorenz and the Telefunkin's.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #8,154 of 46,499
Quote:

True enough!  But HD650 is of high enough purebreed pedigree to demand to be fed only organic premium foods
L3000.gif

It'll sound good enough on modest equipment, but it's a phenominal headphone that'll keep rewarding the best of feeds!

Yes,

Like a 4 Channel Fully Balanced βeta-22.

Don't worry, I haven't put them on the mono blocks - yet
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #8,157 of 46,499
Quote:
Lol, i've got my lyr now and i've got 3 480s in my rig.. I'm just gonna leave my pc on all day and i won't even need the heat on. And plus one of my fans broke so it runs even hotter than before, i should probably get that fixed 
tongue_smile.gif

Your face when the 4xx series was Dun Goof'd my nVidia before the 5xx and 6xx.

With that said my bfg gtx 280 puts my asgard to shame, you can literally fry an egg on the 280.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #8,159 of 46,499
Congrats Frank!! You just bought a hp that you could settle in with for about, oh the next 10 years or so and get a whole lot of great head time with. 

What are you using for amp/dac?

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #8,160 of 46,499
Quote:
Congrats Frank!! You just bought a hp that you could settle in with for about, oh the next 10 years or so and get a whole lot of great head time with. 

What are you using for amp/dac?

Thanks Matt

Well they will have to last me a little while as my next big purchase is a new camera.

As for my set up: At the moment my system is a pc running Jriver software, playing Flac, converted from CD or some 24 bit flac from B&W society of sound, sent to a Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192, then a White Bird Amplification- Virtus-01.

Not a common set up, but I wrote a little bit about it here, and how lucky I got.

I see you have a Lyr, was looking at buying one of these as I was very impressed with it, I demoed it with a Bi Frost DAC, and this was the set up I was going to go for, with the HD 650's.

Cheers Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back