Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #6,346 of 46,497
Man, that extra low-end really gives these headphones the perfect balance of reference and fun, I'm finding I can really just sit back and enjoy the music with these, I can't find a flaw. Everything seems perfectly presented and present. It's great!

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #6,347 of 46,497

Quote:
I'm still liking my HD650 (despite falling in love with Woo's build quality and gorgeous look and pretty good sound) on the HA-160DS a lot more than the WA6. So much faster and articulate.

Do you still find them overall a slow headphone? Even with my different amps they still are a slow headphone but then again it may have something to do with the Magnums I have right next to the HD650.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #6,348 of 46,497

Quote:
Do you still find them overall a slow headphone? Even with my different amps they still are a slow headphone but then again it may have something to do with the Magnums I have right next to the HD650.

Depends. I think that the Burson ups the speed a lot, but still a slow headphone overall. The only time I've ever heard the HD650 sound rather speedy was on the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire.

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #6,350 of 46,497
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but...

I think by slow he means the speed with which the driver returns to "neutral" for lack of a better term. Think about a speed metal song with really fast kick drums, for example. Each time that sound is played, the driver deviates from the neutral position when the cone moves to create the sound. The "speed" of the driver would be it's ability to get back to 0 in the infinitesimal amount of time it takes for the next kick drum note to play.

Right?

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #6,351 of 46,497

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but...

I think by slow he means the speed with which the driver returns to "neutral" for lack of a better term. Think about a speed metal song with really fast kick drums, for example. Each time that sound is played, the driver deviates from the neutral position when the cone moves to create the sound. The "speed" of the driver would be it's ability to get back to 0 in the infinitesimal amount of time it takes for the next kick drum note to play.

Right?

Yes, very much like that. If you were to listen to the HD650 analytically, everything wouldn't be as fast as other headphones.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #6,353 of 46,497
I see, and I can see what you mean, A/Bing between the Q701s and HD650s I feel like I can hear a very slight difference in speed but it is so slight that I'm not sure if it is just my mind playing tricks or not. A/Bing that much, I can also see where the myth of the veil came from. The laid back presentation of the HD650s seems veiled at first listen, but soon you see that isn't the case. Thanks for the explanation. 
smile.gif

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #6,354 of 46,497
Apr 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #6,355 of 46,497

Quote:
I see, and I can see what you mean, A/Bing between the Q701s and HD650s I feel like I can hear a very slight difference in speed but it is so slight that I'm not sure if it is just my mind playing tricks or not. A/Bing that much, I can also see where the myth of the veil came from. The laid back presentation of the HD650s seems veiled at first listen, but soon you see that isn't the case. Thanks for the explanation. 
smile.gif

I think that I have to agree with you on this. I have the newer silver driver HD650's. Here's the thing, the old ones were a lot slower and needed proper amplification. The newer ones are a lot faster and don't need a lot of amplification to sound really good. On my Burson, the HD650's are a very fast headphone, despite popular belief. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #6,357 of 46,497

Quote:
He was running them out of an Eddie Current Balancing Act amp.

...and that's probably why. The HD650 scales up fantastically well, IMHO.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #6,358 of 46,497

Quote:
smile.gif

The veil myth comes from the first driver version of the HD650. Post 2007 HD650 has no veil and no slow bass, it was a trait of the first version.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #6,359 of 46,497

Quote:
The veil myth comes from the first driver version of the HD650. Post 2007 HD650 has no veil and no slow bass, it was a trait of the first version.

Agreed on that point. The updated one (mine) is fantastic sounding.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #6,360 of 46,497

Quote:

Mine are brand new silver ones and they sound great, I was just saying that the very laid back presentation of the HD650s is almost a bit jarring when switching from a less laid back headphone, which leads to it seeming veiled. But, yeah, I have no trouble with slow bass or veils on mine.

In fact, at some point I just stopped A/Bing my Q701s and HD650s to see which I wanted to keep and just kept the HD650s on. They just sound a lot more natural, I think it is the extra warmth and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back