Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #6,286 of 46,499
Looking forward to your impressions...............

Quote:
I have HD558's and HD650's currently..   love my HD650's to death and figured I would ask your folks opinions on this:  Have an opportunity to grab a set of HD600's from a friend.  Is there enough of a sonic difference between the HD600's and my current collection to make it worthwhile?  I've tried reading about this as much as possible but it often appears that in reviews the 600/650 get lumped together despite headfonia's review stating they are different.  

Anyone own both and like them both?

Quote:
I went with razordog deals and got a good price, thanks for the suggestion guys!

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #6,287 of 46,499

Quote:
I have HD558's and HD650's currently..   love my HD650's to death and figured I would ask your folks opinions on this:  Have an opportunity to grab a set of HD600's from a friend.  Is there enough of a sonic difference between the HD600's and my current collection to make it worthwhile?  I've tried reading about this as much as possible but it often appears that in reviews the 600/650 get lumped together despite headfonia's review stating they are different.  

Anyone own both and like them both?

IMO, if you already own the HD650's there is no reason to buy the HD600's. After reading same reviews, I was expecting a much bigger difference in their respective sound signatures than I actually heard.  Through a quality sound system, the most that I would say is that the 650's generated a slightly warmer sound as a result of more resonance in the low bass.  That's not to say the 600's are bass-deficient by any means.  To my ears the real shift in the Sennheiser sound signature occurrs between the HD59X and the HD6X0 series.  The 598's, for example, produce a more lively, forward sound that will appeal to some over the warmer (laid-back?) signature of the HD600/650's.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #6,288 of 46,499
So I picked up my HD650 today from the post office. The clamp seems to be a bit strong and hoping it loosens a bit. Also I still get that squeaking sound whenever I move my head which is a big reason why I sold my HD600 so hoping that goes away too.

It should be a good weekend. I got my HD650 today and my HE500 are being returned to me in a few days :) I'll have to see how they sound but I have high hopes. My amps are the V200 and PPAv2 mostly so hopefully it works well with both.

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #6,290 of 46,499

Quote:
So I picked up my HD650 today from the post office. The clamp seems to be a bit strong and hoping it loosens a bit. Also I still get that squeaking sound whenever I move my head which is a big reason why I sold my HD600 so hoping that goes away too.

It should be a good weekend. I got my HD650 today and my HE500 are being returned to me in a few days :) I'll have to see how they sound but I have high hopes. My amps are the V200 and PPAv2 mostly so hopefully it works well with both.

Try stretching its headband using some books as an headphone stand. The clamping force from my HD650 was significantly decreased doing this for a few hours. Don't stretch it too much though.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #6,291 of 46,499

Do you wear glasses?  The ear pads on my 650s will squeak sometimes when I move my head as the pads rub up against my glasses.  If this is the case, the obvious answer would be to take your glasses off when you're listening.
Quote:

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #6,293 of 46,499

i bend the metal bands. no longer hard clamped. i wouldn't use books or a case to stretch the headband. i feel like thats how it breaks.

easily the most comfortable headphones ive used.
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend using books to lessen the clamping. Just extend the metal bands all the way and gently bend that section.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #6,294 of 46,499

Quote:
Try stretching its headband using some books as an headphone stand. The clamping force from my HD650 was significantly decreased doing this for a few hours. Don't stretch it too much though.

Stretch it too much and the band will start to crack within a month.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #6,296 of 46,499

Quote:
They just keep getting more and more comfortable!

I agree.  When I first got them I found them to be more uncomfortable than both my HD555 and D2000s, now six months in they feel perfect on my head. I didn't stretch or bend just wore normally, at some point they became the most comfortable headphones I've worn.  I think that's due to the weight, I used to think my D2000 were incredibly comfortable but the extra weight really puts them behind the HD650s.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #6,297 of 46,499
thats a reason why i was glad to buy a used pair.  already nicely broken in, and they were cheap, 250 bucks

love these cans so much.
they make everything sound awesome.

were they ever Senns top of the line?
or was it the 600?

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #6,300 of 46,499

Quote:
I agree.  When I first got them I found them to be more uncomfortable than both my HD555 and D2000s, now six months in they feel perfect on my head. I didn't stretch or bend just wore normally, at some point they became the most comfortable headphones I've worn.  I think that's due to the weight, I used to think my D2000 were incredibly comfortable but the extra weight really puts them behind the HD650s.

Yea I just got mine less than two months ago. I just gave em a little stretch when I first got them and theyve gone the rest of the way on their own.

So Im thinking of picking up a pair of D2000 or D5000 cans. Did you try the D5000's to compare with the D2000's? And do you think its worthwhile to own both the HD-650's and the D2000/D5000? And what amp/dac are you using? All I have right now is the ASUS Xonar ST and the NuForce HDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back