Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #5,236 of 46,499

Quote:
wink_face.gif
I think you may of just convinced me to get a pair.

Awesome. Before you get them though, I must know, what amp will you be using? And remember to pick up the Silver driver HD650's. The updated ones are a lot better, while the old ones sound quite boring and veiled. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #5,238 of 46,499
Speaking of albums that sound great through the HD650 -

I stopped listening to REM after UP but this compilation is a great reminder of why they've been so influential. The tracks are ordered chronologically and the first disc is killer. It wanes a bit with the later tracks on disc 2, though overall the collection is a great reflection of their progression as a band. A stunning body of work.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #5,240 of 46,499
olor1n,

Big fan myself, I was in school at University of Georgia from 1980-1984 and saw REM many times at the 40 Watt Club and the B&L warehouse that were local bars in town back then.  I've got their first 3 albums on vinyl and then we all switched to CD. After all of it (I own all of their recordings) I still consider the original 5 song EP my favorite "album" and favorite 5 songs.  That compilation is a great collection, I should know!

RonO

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #5,241 of 46,499

Quote:
Awesome. Before you get them though, I must know, what amp will you be using? And remember to pick up the Silver driver HD650's. The updated ones are a lot better, while the old ones sound quite boring and veiled. 

How can you tell who sells which?

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5,242 of 46,499
If you get it from an authorized dealer I thought you should get the latest version (the silver version). If you buy used it could be the old version.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #5,243 of 46,499

Quote:
If you get it from an authorized dealer I thought you should get the latest version (the silver version). If you buy used it could be the old version.

Yes. Always go for an AD. I got mine from an AD and it was the silver drivers. Almost never buy them used unless the user has proof of the silver screen casting. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #5,244 of 46,499
The prices are so high for the AD's though
frown.gif

I never buy headphones used though, makes no sense to me. I wanna be able to experience them fully from out of the box and on.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #5,245 of 46,499

Quote:
so. no nuforce hdp fans out there?

Hey Hamoor, I own the hdp and find it impressive.  I don't own the 650s yet but I do own the 555s.  To me the hdp accentuates instrument separation and clarity.  Overall I'd say it prefers the highs to lows just slightly but as you've probably read the hdp is said to have great synergy with the hdp and this preference for highs is probably a factor.  It's a good Dac/Amp combo and I really enjoy using it.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #5,247 of 46,499
I asked around the general headphone advice thread but nobody helped me out so I guess I should come here. How is the HD650 with RPG music? Stuff like FFVII-X, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, etc.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #5,248 of 46,499

Quote:
I asked around the general headphone advice thread but nobody helped me out so I guess I should come here. How is the HD650 with RPG music? Stuff like FFVII-X, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, etc.

Honestly, if it's not insanely speedy, the HD650 will work for almost all types of music. RPG music should fit just fine. 

smile.gif

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #5,249 of 46,499
Just want to get a preview on if people have heard better or if they were shocked at how simple music like that came to life. Or something like that.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #5,250 of 46,499
I think my next DAC/amp will be the Audio-gd NFB-10se. Apparently it sounds like the Lyr with the HD650, but more detailed and better overall. And it's solid state. And it's $500, within my budget, especially if I sell my NFB12. I may not upgrade in a while though because the NFB12 is good enough I think for a while, and I'm not looking to upgrade to an HD800 for probably a year at least.

Also, everyone seems to say it drives LCD2s, HD650s, HE500s, etc. with ease and "pretty much as good as any high end rig more or less". Then my next upgrade on this path will be something like the HD800, which I'll then be ready for :). On the downside, it seems bordering too powerful for anything less than 300 ohms, with only the very lowest sound settings within bearable volumes.. hmm.

I'm really surprised that it seems asking for dac/amp suggestions here gives so little variety of SS suggestions - not that I'm blaming anyone here for not being all-knowing because everyone was really helpful who replied... but rather I mean I don't know why those with the NFB10se and HD650 don't speak up. Maybe they're too busy with their HD800s :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back