Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #1,846 of 46,499

Quote:
I received a pair of HD650's last week and have been almost unable to stop enjoying them since they arrived.  They are my first set of decent over the ear headphones.   They seem to have great synergy with my Nuforce HDP (dac/hp amp).  I'm very pleased with the combination.  

At first the clamping was a little bothersome but I bent the metal part of the band a bit more open in the recommended manner and they are much more comfortable now.  Looking forward to enjoying these 650's for (hopefully) many years to come.

Wow, well they sure are a good first pair of full sized headphones! I've been enjoying mine than ever recently I think. . . I've had them for almost a year now and I still can't get over how amazing the mids are. . . 

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,847 of 46,499
i'll have my HD650 and Headroom Desktop Amp/DAC on wednesday. this is a huge step for me, so i'm very excited. the HD650 will also be my first good pair of headphones, and the Headroom Amp/Dac will be a new experience, thats for sure.

my best or favorite pair right now is the Koss UR-40. it seems like the UR-40 and HD650 will have similar tonal balance. according to the graphs i have seen the HD650 will have better low end extension which is my biggest complaint about the UR40. of course the HD650 are in a whole different league and i'm sure they will sound much better overall. the UR40 can easily be pushed beyond their limits with bass heavy material. the drivers just don't have the throw to stay clean at high volume.

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #1,849 of 46,499

congratulations on your acquisition! the hd650 is still unmatched among my gear when it comes to presentation of vocals and acoustic guitar. and the way it improves when hooked to better supporting gear is incredible. tested my hd650 recently with someone else's schiit asgard and the sound really wowed the amp owner. he wanted to buy the hd650 on the spot but i really wasn't considering mine for sale. with the hdp your setup must sound impressive :)
Quote:
I received a pair of HD650's last week and have been almost unable to stop enjoying them since they arrived.  They are my first set of decent over the ear headphones.   They seem to have great synergy with my Nuforce HDP (dac/hp amp).  I'm very pleased with the combination.  

At first the clamping was a little bothersome but I bent the metal part of the band a bit more open in the recommended manner and they are much more comfortable now.  Looking forward to enjoying these 650's for (hopefully) many years to come.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #1,850 of 46,499

Quote:
Markmaxx gave me HD650's for free, in a spontaneous act of kindness. Big thanks to him.

KuKuBuKu, congratz on the hd650s, i almost cried reading that thread. I'm so jealous, all i have is the M50s and a udac (soon to have the ibasso p4). by the way, I'm 14 :wink:

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #1,853 of 46,499
You'll have to excuse me, I've been living under a rock for a while.  I've had the HD650's since 2004 and remember the Zu Mobius being the cable to get.  I was able to try them at a meet years ago and remember really liking them.  Apparently Zu doesn't make them anymore?  I also tried the Cardas cable, which I was not a fan of.

What's the cable to get these days?  

Also, I was toying around with the idea of getting a pair of K702s.  Should I just spend the money on an HD650 cable upgrade instead?

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #1,854 of 46,499
From what I've read, the finish on the head band might be prone to chipping over time unless care is taken to avoid banging them into things.  But the finish is purely a cosmetic thing.  I don't think there is anything fragile about them structurally or functionally.  Considering how great they sound, the price (I paid $390 including shipping from an authorized dealer) seems very reasonable.

The Nuforce HDP is my first external DAC/headphone amp so I don't have anything to compare it to aside from my laptop's built in sound card.  It is a huge upgrade over that of course.  The HDP has a very detailed and somewhat bright sound that seems to pair especially well with the lush warm and smooth sound of the 650's.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #1,855 of 46,499
They are actually very well built I think. I'm too careful to bash $350 headphones into anything, so I wouldn't know about the chipping. :p

Honestly though, just looking at the finish I think you would have to bash them pretty hard to chip it. 

Cables. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,856 of 46,499
As far as I know Zu still makes the Mobius, that is what I have, it really improves the sound.  I have had them for five or six years and i still love them although they get little use as my headphone collection has greatly increased.
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,857 of 46,499

Quote:
They are actually very well built I think. I'm too careful to bash $350 headphones into anything, so I wouldn't know about the chipping. :p

Honestly though, just looking at the finish I think you would have to bash them pretty hard to chip it. 

Cables

Actually the paint has the awful tendency to fall without the need of any bashing. In my experience it is more related with how much the headband stretches, since the paint in the cups in mine is still intact.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,858 of 46,499
The paint can fall off with the stretching, but the headphone is built like a tank.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #1,859 of 46,499

Quote:
Quote:

Cables

Actually the paint has the awful tendency to fall without the need of any bashing. In my experience it is more related with how much the headband stretches, since the paint in the cups in mine is still intact.

Really? Well that sucks. I've had mine for almost a year now with no such thing happening tho. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #1,860 of 46,499
I've got mine extended a bit so there is almost two inches of metal band exposed from the grey part of the band and I noticed when I spread the ear parts apart that there is virtually no visually detectable flexing of that painted part on my set.  All of the flexing seems to happen at the exposed unpainted metal part of the head band on mine.  So based on that it seems unlikely that I will experience any cracking of the painted finish on my set.  But anyway, that's just a cosmetic thing that I'm not overly concerned about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back