Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,832 of 46,499

Quote:
Life is good 
bigsmile_face.gif

You are so right!

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #1,833 of 46,499
Fundamentally, we're probably limiting our HD650 enjoyment, but I'm in the same boat; I just don't have the budget (or the chill space) to justify a desktop amp. If you're set on going balanced, that looks like a kicka** portable setup. If you aren't set on balanced, the Headstage Arrow drives the HD650s extremely well. It's light, tiny, I get over 15 hours driving the Senns - and it pairs gorgeously with the black J3.

BTW - I roll FLAC on the J3 and I don't think it's a waste of space (I have the 32 GB version) or bitrate. The quality of sound may be perceived, but I don't mind taking a placebo now and then. :wink: Besides, single-file source is important to me with regard to library management and multiple listening devices. Sorry for straying a bit off-topic.

Quote:
Thanks ardilla and satellite_6, yeah I will check the earpads then. Or maybe my nose will help.

By the way, one more questions fellas, how would you rate the setup below? I am a student, don't have big a budget. So high-end sources or desktop amps/dacs are not in the near future for me. I mean will I get most of the hd650s as a portable setup with the components below?

FLACs-->Cowon J3-->iBasso CB06 interconnect-->iBasso PB1 Toucan-->Balanced Cable-->HD 650

I am also really curious that cool looking interconnect will make any difference, or it is just bling?
Balanced cable is modded from stock sennheiser cable by iBasso, and it is shorten to 1.5m (less resistance right
tongue_smile.gif
).

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #1,834 of 46,499

What's up East Bay?! (I'm in Oregon now but from Alameda) You're one happy dude! Enjoy.
Quote:
Hi, just unpacked my new 650's.  I am very excited.   Been listening to them now for around an hour and I am very impressed already.  They have good synergy with my headroom gear and I guess that will improve over time.  No problems with "clamping" pressure.  They seem custom made for me.  Very comfy fit.  Ah, a rainy weekend coming up and the crib is fully stocked with food and a large CD collection to try the new babies on.  Life is good 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #1,836 of 46,499
Congrats Raptor34, this should be great weekend.

I am waiting my hd650 in agony :) they should be arriving next week. my PB1 toucan is already here, but I can't take benefit of it (no performance difference with ie8's, just a slight color change).

Mediogre, I agree with you in placebo effect. I suppose it is a pretty solid factor in audio stuff. Besides I have 8+16gb of space, and managing J3 is easy, no itunes crap. It won't be a fully balanced setup, since I connect J3 to PB1 with a 3.5-3.5mm interconnect, but for now I don't have another choice, maybe a DB1 in future. One good side of balanced cable I should be getting more amplification (+7.5db single end, +15db balanced) out of PB1. I will right back here about two cables. For now I should rip more CD :)

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,837 of 46,499
i just won an HD650 on ebay from seller http://myworld.ebay.com/razordogdeals2008/. got them for $328, and did second day shipping. so i should have them wednesday. they are an authorized dealer. so excited!

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #1,838 of 46,499

Quote:
i just won an HD650 on ebay from seller http://myworld.ebay.com/razordogdeals2008/. got them for $328, and did second day shipping. so i should have them wednesday. they are an authorized dealer. so excited!

Congrats!  I purchased my HD600 from razordogdeals and it was a great transaction.  I hope to one day compare my 600 to a pair of 650's.....

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #1,839 of 46,499
good to hear. the price was really cheap, but it all seems legit. can't wait till wednesday. i also need to order a better amp/dac for it, but for now my PA2V2 will have to do.

Quote:
Congrats!  I purchased my HD600 from razordogdeals and it was a great transaction.  I hope to one day compare my 600 to a pair of 650's.....

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #1,840 of 46,499

Quote:

Hit me up over late December/early January and we should have a little mini-meet. I know there are bunches of people in Milwaukee who would be game. Also, I would very much like to hear some HD600s.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #1,841 of 46,499
Currently being AMAZED by Solar Fields with the HD650s.. really amazing. Holographic is the way I would describe it

Turns out that Solar Fields actually uses the HD650 for production
cool.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #1,842 of 46,499

Quote:
Currently being AMAZED by Solar Fields with the HD650s.. really amazing. Holographic is the way I would describe it

Turns out that Solar Fields actually uses the HD650 for production
cool.gif

[size=medium]
Then you get close to what is intended :) I often smile when people describe e.g. HD800 as "neutral", when you know that many records are produced with e.g. Beyer DT770's 

I had a professional producer and artist over at my place once, and when we put on one of his records he was amazed - there just was so much he hadn't heard before. And this record he had composed and produced himself...
[/size]

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #1,843 of 46,499

Quote:

Then you get close to what is intended :) I often smile when people describe e.g. HD800 as "neutral", when you know that many records are produced with e.g. Beyer DT770's 

This comment made me smile.

They use them because they don't want to blow $1400 for a headphone that is open, when the DT770 can be had for under $200 and is closed. Which DT770 are you referring to?

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #1,844 of 46,499
My point is only that phrases like "you hear only what is intended", "neutral" etc. are relatively meaningless because one seldom knows what the producers/sound engineers used when they were mixing the material. Of course its a matter of not wanting to spend money. And many use HD800 to mix their records, and more should do so. 

BTW, glad that I made you smile :)

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #1,845 of 46,499
I received a pair of HD650's last week and have been almost unable to stop enjoying them since they arrived.  They are my first set of decent over the ear headphones.   They seem to have great synergy with my Nuforce HDP (dac/hp amp).  I'm very pleased with the combination.  

At first the clamping was a little bothersome but I bent the metal part of the band a bit more open in the recommended manner and they are much more comfortable now.  Looking forward to enjoying these 650's for (hopefully) many years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back