Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #1,816 of 46,499
Several years ago, when the HD-650 came out I had the same problem with clamping. Over time they did loosen up. When I got them refurbished by Sennheiser I got the clamp effect back. Recently, I purchased an open box from Headroom Headphones, and did not have the clamping issue at all. I don't know what is up with that, but the HD-650's are worth the time and effort to get them tuned in to your head.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #1,817 of 46,499

Quote:

Haha - I can't help myself not to bring attention to this very interesting freudian misspelling. 

How long is one hear? Any suggestions? It should of course be the prime time unit of this forum

dt880smile.png

Actually it was typed on my phone and it corrected it to hears for some reason because i must have missed a key, but at least it corrected it to that, somewhat aprapo, apprapo  ap ra poe or however you spell it.  I couldn't correct it because edit and quote don't work when i am posting with my cell phone on this thread.  Now speaking of cell posting, what is the addiction, to the forum or to headphones...
eek.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #1,821 of 46,499
Just a quick question fellas, do you remember a seal on the box when you bought your hd650s? I mean how can I be sure they were never used?

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #1,824 of 46,499
I had some tape on my box, but that's not a very good indication that it was never used. The headphones and pads should look pristine, if they don't, let the seller know!

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #1,825 of 46,499
Thanks ardilla and satellite_6, yeah I will check the earpads then. Or maybe my nose will help.

By the way, one more questions fellas, how would you rate the setup below? I am a student, don't have big a budget. So high-end sources or desktop amps/dacs are not in the near future for me. I mean will I get most of the hd650s as a portable setup with the components below?

FLACs-->Cowon J3-->iBasso CB06 interconnect-->iBasso PB1 Toucan-->Balanced Cable-->HD 650

I am also really curious that cool looking interconnect will make any difference, or it is just bling?
Balanced cable is modded from stock sennheiser cable by iBasso, and it is shorten to 1.5m (less resistance right
tongue_smile.gif
).

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,826 of 46,499
Wow thats a interesting looking amp. . . my guess would be that you would be better off with a nonportable source tho. . . my Cowon sounds great and all, but I don't think it's worth using FLAC with, nor the HD 650s. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #1,829 of 46,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FLACs-->Cowon J3-->iBasso CB06 interconnect-->iBasso PB1 Toucan-->Balanced Cable-->HD 650

I am also really curious that cool looking interconnect will make any difference, or it is just bling?
Balanced cable is modded from stock sennheiser cable by iBasso, and it is shorten to 1.5m (less resistance right
tongue_smile.gif
).

HD650 is so detail as any change in component I can always tell the difference with 100% accuracy, well, maybe 90%
biggrin.gif

But of course nicer looking cable doesn't always sound to suit your taste.  Some lighter the bass, some emphasize mids, upper mids, some have more weight.
But mind you, change in interconnect is more subtle than change on Phones or Amp, so you have to think about it as well if it is worth spending hundreds bucks for smaller 'effect'. 
For me, to a certain level, it's worth.

This is a very subjective hobby.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,830 of 46,499
Hi, just unpacked my new 650's.  I am very excited.   Been listening to them now for around an hour and I am very impressed already.  They have good synergy with my headroom gear and I guess that will improve over time.  No problems with "clamping" pressure.  They seem custom made for me.  Very comfy fit.  Ah, a rainy weekend coming up and the crib is fully stocked with food and a large CD collection to try the new babies on.  Life is good 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back