Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #1,801 of 46,497

Quote:
Is it just my pair, or is it ridiculously hard to adjust the headband?

Other than that, very lovely pair of headphones! They even sound excellent unamped... (EF2A hasn't arrived yet)

All you have to do is pull out the band generously, it might be a bit tight at first but after a while they become very comfortable. BTW, try some RCA 6A5K or 5654 tubes with the EF2A, I think they made a big difference in clarity with mine and I love the way it sounds now. 

I guess we have a lot of equipment in common!

EDIT: I see you tried the K701 and the DT880s and were not very pleased with them, I'd love to hear how you think the HD 650s compare to them after some listening with the EF2A. Hopefully you will be satisfied this time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #1,802 of 46,497
Quote:
Comfort issues with the HD650 is mainly because of clamping. This is easily fixed by extending the metalstrips-part of the headband to the max and slightly bend them to an easier shape. 

No more clamping - the HD650 really is VERY comfy  :)

I'll try this.  Clamping still an issue for me even I have had it for a year now, it clamps my jaws, so I have to wear is slightly up.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,803 of 46,497

Quote:
Quote:

I'll try this.  Clamping still an issue for me even I have had it for a year now, it clamps my jaws, so I have to wear is slightly up.

As soon as I heard about this way of adjusting the clamping, I grabbed my HD650's and did it.  It's very safe and it works a treat.  I also did it to my HD600's.  MUCH better now.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #1,805 of 46,497
It just kind of sucks that the steel band warps back to its original shape after a while... it definitely has a strong memory.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #1,806 of 46,497
Quote:
All you have to do is pull out the band generously, it might be a bit tight at first but after a while they become very comfortable. BTW, try some RCA 6A5K or 5654 tubes with the EF2A, I think they made a big difference in clarity with mine and I love the way it sounds now. 

I guess we have a lot of equipment in common!

EDIT: I see you tried the K701 and the DT880s and were not very pleased with them, I'd love to hear how you think the HD 650s compare to them after some listening with the EF2A. Hopefully you will be satisfied this time.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have to try that. I've actually got them set on my glass mannequin head right now (it's my "loosening" headband device). But I think I might try the manual bending from furthest extended position. I have a feeling these are going to be very, very comfy... (The adjustment is even worse than the Beyer's! Hopefully, that will loosen up a bit, as micro adjustments is nearly impossible)

Yeah, looks like we do! I was trying to find any users that use the EF2A with the HD650, and so far you are the first! I also noticed you have the iAudio 7 as well. Great little MP3 isn't it? (In case you are wondering, don't bother with the iAudio 9. The iAudio 7 is clearly superior in my opinion -- as I couldn't stand the iAudio 9)

It may not be a fair fight as I tried the K701 and DT880 straight off my iAudio 7. But, the HD650 still sounds better then them both -- even off the iAudio 7 as well. With an amp, I really, REALLY hope they shine! (I'm really hoping for a great improvement in the sound, not some teeny tiny detail enhancement...) Yeah, I hope I am satisfied this time too! I really can't wait until my EF2A arrives, I'm dying to try it!

(By the way, could you compare the HD650 off iAudio 7 to the HD650 off your EF2A? How is the improvement? Also, how long did it take for the EF2A to arrive?)

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #1,807 of 46,497

Quote:

I'll have to try that. I've actually got them set on my glass mannequin head right now (it's my "loosening" headband device). But I think I might try the manual bending from furthest extended position. I have a feeling these are going to be very, very comfy... (The adjustment is even worse than the Beyer's! Hopefully, that will loosen up a bit, as micro adjustments is nearly impossible)

Yeah, looks like we do! I was trying to find any users that use the EF2A with the HD650, and so far you are the first! I also noticed you have the iAudio 7 as well. Great little MP3 isn't it? (In case you are wondering, don't bother with the iAudio 9. The iAudio 7 is clearly superior in my opinion -- as I couldn't stand the iAudio 9)

It may not be a fair fight as I tried the K701 and DT880 straight off my iAudio 7. But, the HD650 still sounds better then them both -- even off the iAudio 7 as well. With an amp, I really, REALLY hope they shine! (I'm really hoping for a great improvement in the sound, not some teeny tiny detail enhancement...) Yeah, I hope I am satisfied this time too! I really can't wait until my EF2A arrives, I'm dying to try it!

(By the way, could you compare the HD650 off iAudio 7 to the HD650 off your EF2A? How is the improvement? Also, how long did it take for the EF2A to arrive?)

Cool beans. . . 

Compared to the i7 there is drastic improvement in soundstage, and the EF2A sounds quite a bit more detailed as well. As long as you aren't expecting miracles out of a $200 DAC/AMP, I think you'll like it. The EF2A is more analytical sounding than the i7, but the tubes I mentioned bring the sound closer to the sound sig of the i7. I wasn't crazy about the EF2A at first, but with time, (and the tubes!) I have become very happy with it. Sorry, I can't remember how long it took to arrive. . . 

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #1,808 of 46,497
Quote:
As soon as I heard about this way of adjusting the clamping, I grabbed my HD650's and did it.  It's very safe and it works a treat.  I also did it to my HD600's.  MUCH better now.

Will I break the plastic top band?  I'm afraid I bend too much
frown.gif

I did it, it feels better now, but I'm not sure it's real or only my placebo.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #1,809 of 46,497
I was told to only bend the metal band that pulls out. It was discussed at length hears ago and works well. I have had my pair for over four years and since bending that metal slightly, no clamp or damage.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #1,811 of 46,497
Clamping reducing instructions for HD650 and similar models:

Extend the metal strips to the max (6.3 centimeters) Bend the metals only. Plastic should be left alone. Watch this very instructive picture for illustrational use only

If you bend too much, just bend it back. If you keep bending back and forth 10000 times the steel will become very soft (remember Uri Geller?). Otherwise, don't be afraid. But there really isn't much of a bend that is needed. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #1,812 of 46,497

Quote:
I was told to only bend the metal band that pulls out. It was discussed at length hears ago and works well. I have had my pair for over four years and since bending that metal slightly, no clamp or damage.

Haha - I can't help myself not to bring attention to this very interesting freudian misspelling. 

How long is one hear? Any suggestions? It should of course be the prime time unit of this forum

dt880smile.png

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #1,815 of 46,497
Quote:
Clamping reducing instructions for HD650 and similar models:

Extend the metal strips to the max (6.3 centimeters) Bend the metals only. Plastic should be left alone. Watch this very instructive picture for illustrational use only

If you bend too much, just bend it back. If you keep bending back and forth 10000 times the steel will become very soft (remember Uri Geller?). Otherwise, don't be afraid. But there really isn't much of a bend that is needed. 

Hey, the picture says a thousand words, it helps a lot. Thanks.

Quote:
Everybody be careful with the bending direction, otherwise you finish like this.

This one helps too
biggrin.gif
   are you in there? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back