Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #661 of 46,499
Really enjoying HD650 with Woo Audio 6SE. An excellent complement to Denon D2000. The sound is laid back and somewhat on the dark side, but certainly not "veiled." It is in fact very detailed with great bass punch and musicality. However, it does sound "lethargic" when not amped properly.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #662 of 46,499
lethargic that was a new one...

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #663 of 46,499
I'm confused by slow and fast cans, surely an hour by the concrete lake is 60 minutes however you listen.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #664 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also they sound the closest to actual loudspeakers out of all the headphones I have heard.

Which makes you wonder about the HD800. If it is indeed significantly brighter as people are saying, is it as balanced and accurate?

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #665 of 46,499
After much deliberation i ordered a pair of HD650's. Can't wait till they arrive. Just hope my portable amp (graham slee voyager) will have enough juice to drive these babies!

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #666 of 46,499
I hope they have enough juice also as HD650 enjoyment is highly dependent on Amps as others can confirm. There is a reason why HD650 comes default with a 1/4" plug and not a 1/8" plug like AT, Denons... and other easy to drive headphones.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #667 of 46,499
Most hi fi headphones needs tons of juice... At least the ones I tried Ultrasones, and AKG... low or high impedance doesn´t really say that much about how they will scale
smily_headphones1.gif
Here is my first 3 minutes impression... Very easy to love headphones. Run them on the EF 1 now gets about the bass as I get with the Canamp otherwise... I suspect they will be to bassy on that amp but I don´t want to confuse my ears even more as of yet. EF-1 is supposed to be a better match and certainly I don´t feel the need for more bass. Soundstage is not that good though but that is mostly the EF-1 fault I do believe. May work well as a PRO 900 replacement for poor recordings. If it passes my sibilance checks I know it´s a keeper
wink.gif
. Surprisingly similar to the PRO 900 on the Canamp. the volume seem to jump up and down a bit more I don´t know why that is? A bit surprised that I run it at pretty much the same amp volume settings as my K701. Certainly no problem getting volume with the EF-1 anyway
tongue.gif

So well promising but perhaps to much like what I already got. Will see. Comfort doesn´t seem to be a problem though the cable and big earpads is a bit bulky.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #668 of 46,499
[size=small]I'm kind of thinking out loud here. I'm may shell out some dough for the 650. (I wish Senn had retained the same V2 connection tips on the HD800 so I could just focus on those instead . . . but what can one do?
frown.gif
) My LaRocco PR II MkII will probably drive the 650 as well as any portable amp south of the Lisa III, and I already have a Headphile BlackGold upgrade cable for them.

I plan to add a Desktop Lisa when those become available, so I should have adequate power then. maybe I should wait on the Desktop Lisa before I go for the 650.[/size]

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #669 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small] ... maybe I should wait on the Desktop Lisa before I go for the 650.[/size]

I really LOVE the pairing of the HD650 with the Purity Audio KICAS Caliente. Plenty of power, plenty of ability/synergy to bring out the high quality of sound of which the HD650 are capable, for a nicely affordable price ($400-ish).

"Desktop Lisa" has a really nice ring to it, though, I've gotta say... I got my first taste of Phil Larocco's take on audio with a set of his Dyno-Biased Discrete Buffers that I had retro-fitted to a Version 1A PPA. I still remember vividly getting my very familiar, and well-loved, PPA back with the new Buffers in it - and being overwhelmed by the new level of audio quality I was enjoying. Phil is definitely one of those folks responsible ( and Wanted ) for committing premeditated acts of audio beauty creation.

Peter and Oriel at Purity Audio are on that same "Audio Post Office, Wanted" Rogue's Gallery with Phil Larocco, in my book. The notorious Ken Ball at ALO, the Dastardly Vinnie Rossi at RWA, and Ray Samuels at RSA are also on my Top 10 Wanted List for totally spoiling me with the acts of Audio Beauty they've committed. What a great time to be into Headphone Audio!!!!!

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #670 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused by slow and fast cans, surely an hour by the concrete lake is 60 minutes however you listen.

Haha, I picked the Pain of Salvation reference.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #671 of 46,499
My biggest complaint with the HD650s is that left cup creaks all the time. To the point I'm borderline pissed off at times.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #673 of 46,499
Recently the HD650s have become so affordable. Only a few years ago I remember, only a few had the HD650s, now they are at a price that Head-Fiers are buying them as their first headphones! A lot has changed with these headphones in past few years. Going from veiled, to where overwhelming majority agreeing there is no veil, from flagship to little brother (HD800), from being expensive boutique to affordable.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #675 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently the HD650s have become so affordable. Only a few years ago I remember, only a few had the HD650s, now they are at a price that Head-Fiers are buying them as their first headphones! A lot has changed with these headphones in past few years. Going from veiled, to where overwhelming majority agreeing there is no veil, from flagship to little brother (HD800), from being expensive boutique to affordable.

I think because sources and amps are getting better and better, people have come to realize it's not the HD650's that are veiled, but their equipment. I can easily make the HD650s sound slow and sluggish or hyper-detailed and bright depending on the source I use, which opamps I use with it, which amp I use etc. It was quite surprising at first, what I thought was the HD650's inherent sound signature, turned out to be a product of my upstream components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back