Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #45,676 of 46,499
If you can't detect it (you mean hear it, I assume?), then doesn't that mean that it's lending to audible transparency? Isn't that the definition of audible transparency?

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #45,677 of 46,499
If you can't detect it (you mean hear it, I assume?), then doesn't that mean that it's lending to audible transparency? Isn't that the definition of audible transparency?
If one cannot ‘detect it’, there may be a question of audio resolution. If I feel / hear / sense that nothing is sonically in the way, that for me is transparency. In fact, transparency can lead to detection.

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #45,678 of 46,499
Hello guys, a question, i have the HD650, i got a cable replacement, but they are not marked which one is the right side and which one is the left, i just plug them in and with the amp balance found out which one is the the right side, but now, I'm not sure if the orientation of the pins matters, for example, i unplugged the right side it turn the plug around and plugged it again on the same side, and it sounds exactly the same, and the same happened with the left side... so, it seems to me that doesn't matter the orientation of the ground and positive cables, is that right?

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #45,679 of 46,499
@icedfirefly
I'm not a pro on this, but I believe that you reverse the phase when you reverse the connection.
And I believe that the HD6__ pins are NOT exactly equal, one being a little bigger in diameter, in each side.
With the original cable it's easy as it is marked.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #45,680 of 46,499
It was obviously sarcasm. The fact that you can't detect it, speaks about how you think most dacs and amps are ''audibly transparent'' due to high SINAD
ooops, second time in 2 days that I post with my elbow while reaching for something... I need new elbows or something.

Anyway, I don't know why it would speak of what I don't in fact think and have never claimed anywhere. How about we stop here with the dumb amalgams? 2 a day feels enough for me.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #45,681 of 46,499
No I was talking about the sarcasm of 140 dB SINAD being more transparent than something considered “bad” by pseudo objectivists like 90 dB SINAD. The point is, all these dac/amps that are made based only off a few set of limited measurements and have never been listened to while making them, all tend to sound harsh, with poor imaging, separation and dynamic range.

The reason why the iDevices are a better fit for the HD650 than most more expensive amps/dacs, is because the iDevices are brighter sounding with less bass due to lesser quality components making the 650 sound clearer (in which the extra clarity is more transient distortion) with tighter bass, which a lot of people find welcoming due to the soft transients and bass and mid forward signature.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #45,683 of 46,499
Hello guys, a question, i have the HD650, i got a cable replacement, but they are not marked which one is the right side and which one is the left, i just plug them in and with the amp balance found out which one is the the right side, but now, I'm not sure if the orientation of the pins matters, for example, i unplugged the right side it turn the plug around and plugged it again on the same side, and it sounds exactly the same, and the same happened with the left side... so, it seems to me that doesn't matter the orientation of the ground and positive cables, is that right?
As @vmiguel mentions, the Senn pins and sockets are different size for proper polarity. Even with my antique eyes, I can see the difference with close inspection. They could be damaged with improper insertion. Don’t know what cables you have, but the genuine Senns have a faint L and R molded into them, and with the R and L facing out, they are properly inserted.

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #45,684 of 46,499
The reason why the iDevices are a better fit for the HD650 than most more expensive amps/dacs, is because the iDevices are brighter sounding with less bass due to lesser quality components making the 650 sound clearer (in which the extra clarity is more transient distortion) with tighter bass, which a lot of people find welcoming due to the soft transients and bass and mid forward signature.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. Still, I’ve heard my 6XX sound much harsher out of dedicated solid state amps like the Violectric V200 and Gilmore Lite Mk2 (with the Golden Reference power supply) than from the headphone out on my iMac. Amps/DACs can soften the sound too much or sharpen it too much, and the 6XX picks it all up. But somehow Apple devices seem to be pretty good at finding a balance between over-sharpened and dull. They don’t resolve as well, but the sound is synergistic and quite enjoyable, as you alluded to above.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #45,685 of 46,499
I recently bought a 2nd 650, and have the CC UK mod kit on the way. I was pleased that the pads look good and are structurally firm (must have been recently replaced), however, the headband pad was flat. I was surprised that no matter how I adjusted the headband, it didn’t sound as good as my other pair. I noticed a gap at the back of my jawbone. Now with a new headband pad, the solid sonic presentation is back, and I can feel the firm and even clamp. Clearly, Sennheiser has a specific suspension in mind (4 point I guess with the 2 bump pad) for optimum performance. New pad makes the headphone look good too.

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #45,686 of 46,499
Greetings all.. long time listener, first time caller. I have read (and read) about the Custom Cans kit but the one thing that seems to be missing from most of the positive posts is what music the people that love the mod are listening to. What instruments are being affected and how exactly. For someone that listens to everything but loves acoustic jazz, is the weight making the right improvements if sub-bass is not my thing? Looking forward to so specific tracks that sound better. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #45,687 of 46,499
Greetings all.. long time listener, first time caller. I have read (and read) about the Custom Cans kit but the one thing that seems to be missing from most of the positive posts is what music the people that love the mod are listening to. What instruments are being affected and how exactly. For someone that listens to everything but loves acoustic jazz, is the weight making the right improvements if sub-bass is not my thing? Looking forward to so specific tracks that sound better. Thanks.
Well, @jonathan c suggested the custom cans mod. I did it. In my opinion, it's NOT genre, or track specific. The same characteristics of the original 600 headphone are still there. Again, in my opinion the differences are related to sound stage, openness, instrument separation. It seems like a better headphon and sonically better. But YMMV!!!!

Leo

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #45,688 of 46,499
I hear the most enjoyable, most musical, most realistic sounds from HD6XX with these cables: Custom Cans UK, Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid, Norne Audio Vygarde. This applies to both RCA and XLR cable terminations.
FWIW: I only have the stock cable to compare with, but I bought the Forza Noir HPC Mk2 - Cable : Octa copper Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire (4x2 Geometry) with XLR termination. Very Happy - not a major major difference, but to my ears added more details and clarity to the HD650s

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #45,689 of 46,499
Hi guys, ordered a pair of HD650 a couple of days ago,currently awaiting for them to be delivered.
Nonetheless, I'd like to ask if an amp with +4 V peak output at 600 omhs (around 2.8 Vrms...would be a little bit lower with 300 omhs) and a rated output impedance "<30 omhs" would be adequate to drive these cans.
FYI, I'm currently using Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 600 omhs with this amp and the volume output is more than enough to become annoying; I've always found this amp+headphone combo a bit harsh, though.
Thanks,
Alessio

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #45,690 of 46,499
Hi guys, ordered a pair of HD650 a couple of days ago,currently awaiting for them to be delivered.
Nonetheless, I'd like to ask if an amp with +4 V peak output at 600 omhs (around 2.8 Vrms...would be a little bit lower with 300 omhs) and a rated output impedance "<30 omhs" would be adequate to drive these cans.
FYI, I'm currently using Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 600 omhs with this amp and the volume output is more than enough to become annoying; I've always found this amp+headphone combo a bit harsh, though.
Thanks,
Alessio
That amplifier should be fine with HD650 in terms of power. As for harshness, that is not likely to be an issue with HD650. The harshness with the DT880 may be from a frequency response peak and from insufficient ‘reserve’ power in the amplifier while driving DT880 - which is fairly inefficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back