Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #44,597 of 46,497
Does no foam make the highs brighter vs foam?
I found the difference mostly in the bass, and not that great, EXCEPT, the 600 with no foam had a great deal of bass - very unlike the 600. With the 650, no foam was too much.

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #44,598 of 46,497
8719262015432.jpg

Composer Arvo Part and conductor Kristjan Jarvi wearing both the HD650 and HD600 headphones

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #44,600 of 46,497
Does no foam make the highs brighter vs foam?
I’d phrase it differently because to me ‘brighter’ is a coloration to be avoided. I’d say, in my experience, removing the rear foam makes the entire presentation more transparent, less veiled sounding (not that I think there is a terrible veil to begin with), like right after you give your glasses a really good cleaning. I’ve done it on my 580, 600 and 650 and haven’t regretted it in any of them (which is a good thing, because putting the rear foam back in place would be difficult if not impossible). Only my 650 also have the copper weights at the moment, although I think the weights made the biggest difference in the 600.

FWIW, and for context only, I’m a long time veteran of the hobby (45+ years), an all tube analog guy until only recently when I consolidated my system, gave up the tubes and went solid state. All of my headphone amps now are old‘ish’ (pre-op-amp) Burson class A solid state, and the only non-Sennheiser HD-XXX in my current front line are a pair of newly acquired Audeze LCD-2 (I’ve tried many, many, many different makes and models of headphone in the last few years, but I’ve kept only a few) and all of my Sennheisers have aftermarket sheepskin or hybrid ear pads. I very much like the 650 cable or aftermarket cables made with mogami 2534 and either furutech or neutrik/rean connectors for 580/600/650. At the moment, only the 650, with the copper weight kit, also have the front foam removed. I’m telling you all this so you get some idea of my taste and experience before you go and do something to your headphones that may be irreversible based on my advice on the internet. Yes, I’ve made plenty of audio blunders in my time, but, in my opinion, removing the rear foam from my Sennheisers wasn’t one of them.

Good luck and, most importantly, Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #44,601 of 46,497
Don't know what it is but these Fiio portable amps just make a beautiful synergy w the 6XX. The Q1 Mkii and now the Q3 just make it sing.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #44,602 of 46,497
I’d phrase it differently because to me ‘brighter’ is a coloration to be avoided. I’d say, in my experience, removing the rear foam makes the entire presentation more transparent, less veiled sounding (not that I think there is a terrible veil to begin with), like right after you give your glasses a really good cleaning. I’ve done it on my 580, 600 and 650 and haven’t regretted it in any of them (which is a good thing, because putting the rear foam back in place would be difficult if not impossible). Only my 650 also have the copper weights at the moment, although I think the weights made the biggest difference in the 600.

FWIW, and for context only, I’m a long time veteran of the hobby (45+ years), an all tube analog guy until only recently when I consolidated my system, gave up the tubes and went solid state. All of my headphone amps now are old‘ish’ (pre-op-amp) Burson class A solid state, and the only non-Sennheiser HD-XXX in my current front line are a pair of newly acquired Audeze LCD-2 (I’ve tried many, many, many different makes and models of headphone in the last few years, but I’ve kept only a few) and all of my Sennheisers have aftermarket sheepskin or hybrid ear pads. I very much like the 650 cable or aftermarket cables made with mogami 2534 and either furutech or neutrik/rean connectors for 580/600/650. At the moment, only the 650, with the copper weight kit, also have the front foam removed. I’m telling you all this so you get some idea of my taste and experience before you go and do something to your headphones that may be irreversible based on my advice on the internet. Yes, I’ve made plenty of audio blunders in my time, but, in my opinion, removing the rear foam from my Sennheisers wasn’t one of them.

Good luck and, most importantly, Enjoy!
Great modifications on the 650 👍 !!

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #44,604 of 46,497
I've heard of people removing the 'spider' that holds the rear foam in place, and to which the mass loading elements attach.

I haven't played with it myself, so I'm unclear on whether the spider, once removed, can be put back. If it just clips on, one would think reinstalling the stock foam wouldn't be all that difficult.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #44,605 of 46,497
I've heard of people removing the 'spider' that holds the rear foam in place, and to which the mass loading elements attach.

I haven't played with it myself, so I'm unclear on whether the spider, once removed, can be put back. If it just clips on, one would think reinstalling the stock foam wouldn't be all that difficult.
I think removing the spider involves cutting the plastic. I haven’t tried it myself, although I have removed the rear foam from each of my 580/600/650. Removing the spider seems like a much higher level of diy mod than I’d personally be willing to do.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #44,606 of 46,497
I think removing the spider involves cutting the plastic. I haven’t tried it myself, although I have removed the rear foam from each of my 580/600/650. Removing the spider seems like a much higher level of diy mod than I’d personally be willing to do.
Cool. I should have some old, dead lollipops around here somewhere. If I can find them, I'll have a close look.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #44,607 of 46,497
Found a good pic of the spider aka cage, and it's now clear to me that its removal involves cutting. Thanks, no.

Since my HD650 has very decent bass now, with the coppers and Dekoni hybrids in place, and no front foam to diffuse the highs, I'm not much motivated to go further.

Perhaps a slightly shorter, perhaps balanced, cable for convenience and optimal use with Mjolnir2. Perhaps. 🤔

Attachments

• HD600 driver on coupler.jpg
    HD600 driver on coupler.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #44,608 of 46,497
I haven't played CD's for over years, all the time I played music with iMac, laptop, headphones DAC/amp. I was curious how the HD650s would sound straight out the headphones out of my old Marantz CD6000KI player. In one word: Wow!
A very dynamic, tight and clear sound. The CD player manages to make the HD650s sound great with classical music, a big soundstage. With pop music there isn't much difference compared to my PC/DAC. So the consensus at the time regarding typical sound characteristics of Hifi brands appears to be somewhat true. The critique of Marantz hifi products then (around 2002-2003) was that they lacked PRaT (Pace, rhythm and timing), but excelled with classical music. I always thought of it as bull crap, but, well at least at this moment, it rings very true to me.
Let me enjoy this for the moment, because I know when I AB test it I will come to the conclusion that I am just imagining things, and I just want to give this beautiful champagne colored CD player some purpose again :)

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #44,610 of 46,497
I haven't played CD's for over years, all the time I played music with iMac, laptop, headphones DAC/amp. I was curious how the HD650s would sound straight out the headphones out of my old Marantz CD6000KI player. In one word: Wow!
A very dynamic, tight and clear sound. The CD player manages to make the HD650s sound great with classical music, a big soundstage. With pop music there isn't much difference compared to my PC/DAC. So the consensus at the time regarding typical sound characteristics of Hifi brands appears to be somewhat true. The critique of Marantz hifi products then (around 2002-2003) was that they lacked PRaT (Pace, rhythm and timing), but excelled with classical music. I always thought of it as bull crap, but, well at least at this moment, it rings very true to me.
Let me enjoy this for the moment, because I know when I AB test it I will come to the conclusion that I am just imagining things, and I just want to give this beautiful champagne colored CD player some purpose again :)
Keep that CD6000KI ! It is a classic! Ken Ishiwata “tuned” (upgraded parts etc) CD players and integrated amplifiers by Marantz have excellent sound quality. FYI, Ken Ishiwata’s legacy continues, after his passing, in the ‘Tribute’ series of CD players / integrated amplifiers by Rotel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back