Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 29, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #44,266 of 46,499
Most probably, even prior to Sennheiser and Sonova announcing the deal, Sennheiser has started "homogenizing" the HD 6X0 series to further save on production costs. I agree with @WilcoRoger re: the speed at which M&A deals are consummated/completed. I should know, since my day job involves M&A (been doing it for close to a decade already); deals that close very fast are usually the exception than the norm, since there's a lot of back-and-forth even after a deal has been publicly announced.

My only hope is that the new owners don't retire the HD 6X0 series (especially the HD 650) in favor of doubling down on the consumer/TWS market. That, and a much, much cheaper version of the Orpheus please haha

May 29, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #44,269 of 46,499
Do you really think that a few weeks after a sale is announced ANYTHING would be changed on the product level? We don't even know if the deal has even been consumed yet (actual money changed hand).

I have been through a few corporate mergers & acquisitions - trust me, nothing, NOTHING goes that fast. My uneducated guess is, that if the new owners move really fast(!) we may see something on the market in 2022.
I agree, though they did coordinate the announcement of a new iem with the sale.

Jun 14, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #44,271 of 46,499
My HD650s have several hundred hours on them now, and they sound way better than when I first put them on my head. They have really opened up considerably and have better dynamic range. Instrument separation is excellent. I was very close to selling them, and now I am so glad I did not. I drive them with the LPG 2017.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #44,272 of 46,499
My 650s (w/ Dekoni pads and custom Mogami cable with furutech connectors) have beaten back many contenders for place of pride in my main system running off an old Burson Soloist amp. Contenders have included audeze lcd-x, hifiman he560, Focal Elear among others. All excellent cans, but none could match the 650s for overall go anywhere do anything fun factor. And, while I’d never call them sparkly, they are certainly not veiled. That’s imho a scaling thing. The better your amp, the less ‘veiled’ they sound. Of course, I do like my Senns - I had 580s for 15 years (now given to my brother), I’ve got 600s in my bedside set up and modified 700s on my desktop. Maybe I’m a fanboy…

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #44,273 of 46,499
Hi, my first post in this generous thread. Another happy and proud owner of the legendary HD650 headphones here. I have to say these headphones absolutely deserve all the accolades and are still, rightfully - after all these years- a true reference headphones in every sense of the word. When you are listening HD650 you realise how ridiculously overpriced are nowadays high end headphones...
Its been a while when I listened HD650 for the first time and as I had Hifiman HE400i (its first 2014 version with the backplate ) at that time I didnt feel the need to buy HD650 as I found the sound signature of these two headphones quite similar (slight warm/dark side of neutral IMO). I still like HE400i but after upgrading to HE1000 V2 in 2017 my HE400i were basically gifted to my brother. HE1000 V2 are remarkable headphones but slightly on bright/neutral side which make them relatively unforgiving for sibilance in below-average recordings. HE400i and HD650 are -with their warmer, sweeter sound - great complimentary headphones in regard to HEK.
HD650 have great tonality right out of the box, there is punchy bass, beautiful present midrange and smooth treble. Of course it is hardly surprising as tonal balance is one of its renowned strenghts. But what kind of surprised me were the other sound qualities of HD650 which are certainly not mentioned as often as its tonal balance. I really like HD650 soundstage, its has very good dimensionality even in comparison to HE1000 V2. I do not perceive so called " 3 blob effect" at all. Not even from Ibasso DX90 let alone from Chord Dave. Another sound quality which i like very much is overall macro and micro dynamics of HD650. I was also positively surprised DX90 alone drives HD650 very well in terms of SQ. At least for me. There is really really good separation, layering, dynamics, sub -bass quality and very good soundstage even from this little portable player. From Chord Dave I´m hearing even more sub bass, even better separation/layering and soundstage but overall sound quality from DX90 alone is already quite stunning.
HD650 are also very comfortable for me, although e.g. HD800 and HE1000 are even better in this department.
Happy listening to ya all ! Best regards, Martin

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #44,274 of 46,499
Hi, my first post in this generous thread. Another happy and proud owner of the legendary HD650 headphones here. I have to say these headphones absolutely deserve all the accolades and are still, rightfully - after all these years- a true reference headphones in every sense of the word. When you are listening HD650 you realise how ridiculously overpriced are nowadays high end headphones...
Its been a while when I listened HD650 for the first time and as I had Hifiman HE400i (its first 2014 version with the backplate ) at that time I didnt feel the need to buy HD650 as I found the sound signature of these two headphones quite similar (slight warm/dark side of neutral IMO). I still like HE400i but after upgrading to HE1000 V2 in 2017 my HE400i were basically gifted to my brother. HE1000 V2 are remarkable headphones but slightly on bright/neutral side which make them relatively unforgiving for sibilance in below-average recordings. HE400i and HD650 are -with their warmer, sweeter sound - great complimentary headphones in regard to HEK.
HD650 have great tonality right out of the box, there is punchy bass, beautiful present midrange and smooth treble. Of course it is hardly surprising as tonal balance is one of its renowned strenghts. But what kind of surprised me were the other sound qualities of HD650 which are certainly not mentioned as often as its tonal balance. I really like HD650 soundstage, its has very good dimensionality even in comparison to HE1000 V2. I do not perceive so called " 3 blob effect" at all. Not even from Ibasso DX90 let alone from Chord Dave. Another sound quality which i like very much is overall macro and micro dynamics of HD650. I was also positively surprised DX90 alone drives HD650 very well in terms of SQ. At least for me. There is really really good separation, layering, dynamics, sub -bass quality and very good soundstage even from this little portable player. From Chord Dave I´m hearing even more sub bass, even better separation/layering and soundstage but overall sound quality from DX90 alone is already quite stunning.
HD650 are also very comfortable for me, although e.g. HD800 and HE1000 are even better in this department.
Happy listening to ya all ! Best regards, Martin
I’ve tried to dethrone the HD 650 many times and can’t. I always go back to them.

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #44,277 of 46,499
Fallen out of love with the ATH-R70X?
I do still love the R70X, but at the time I was comparing it only to the HD600, the R70X is closer to the 650 than I had previously thought. I still think the R70X wins in overall tonal balance, but it lacks some detail and vocal presence you get with the 650. Also the 650 bass sounds a little tighter and more defined to me, that could change with different pads on the R70X however.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #44,278 of 46,499
I do still love the R70X, but at the time I was comparing it only to the HD600, the R70X is closer to the 650 than I had previously thought. I still think the R70X wins in overall tonal balance, but it lacks some detail and vocal presence you get with the 650. Also the 650 bass sounds a little tighter and more defined to me, that could change with different pads on the R70X however.
Personally when I compared them back and forth the 650 had amazing vocal timbre, but the imaging and staging was just super disappointing.

Felt like too much of a trade-off, though I might end up owning both.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #44,279 of 46,499
Personally when I compared them back and forth the 650 had amazing vocal timbre, but the imaging and staging was just super disappointing.

Felt like too much of a trade-off, though I might end up owning both.
Yup, they are different enough that it’s worth owning both IMO. As good as the R70X is, the Sennheiser mids are hard to beat at any price.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #44,280 of 46,499
Killer budget setup...
HD 6XX.jpg

Schiit Modi 3+ / Schiit Magni 3+ / Schiit Vali 2+ / Sennheiser HD 6XX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back