Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 8, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #44,208 of 46,499
May 8, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #44,209 of 46,499
pufffffff.... many opened questions here

May 8, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #44,210 of 46,499
The sale may make sense for Sennheiser i.e. to divest a less profitable and highly competitive consumer biz and focus on the higher margin pro market instead.

Will be interesting to see the fate of 6 and 8 series led by Sonova. Whether the sound development will become more clinical / analytical, for example. For aging audiophiles, may not be a bad thing if Sonova can develop future hybrids that can mitigate the gradual loss of hearing especially for the higher frequency bands. Could be a win. We shall see.

May 8, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #44,211 of 46,499
I think the problem was that it is a space that is changing, with the wireless iems, now apple airmax, bluetooth stuff... it is a market driven 99% by marketing rather than quality of the product, so it requires a lot of investment to "educate" the potential customer. That costs money, a lot, and the competition is apple, samsung, oppo/xiaomi, bose, etc... And sennheiser seems to be the very opposite; a company based on the quality of the product, and 90% of the investment is focused there, and the pro market values product quality, can see more the actual quality of the products, rather than a fake value created by marketing investment... so...

and we are all old dicks here, we represent 0,1% of the market.

May 8, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #44,212 of 46,499
RIP 6-series. It was a most excellent run.

Are HD600, 650 660S, 6XX, 800S, 8XX also sold to Sonova?
Are those headphones belong to pro audio and Sennheiser still own them?
It's almost certain that these products will remain. If you read the statement, this is connecting up the two companies going forward, simply that Sonova (and the Sennheiser consumer division they now have) will focus on the consumer direction of the business.

If Sennheiser are making great headphone drivers, Sonova will be using them, no doubt. The focus will shift more to the ANC/TWS market, as Samsung & AKG have done, but there's no way known this is the death of their open back headphones.

May 9, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #44,214 of 46,499
May 9, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #44,215 of 46,499
RIP 6-series. It was a most excellent run.

Do you think the buyer splashed out cash for a business just to kill it? (Those things happen, when you buy a competitor for their market share/network/knwohow whatnot, but this is clearly not the case.) Sonova is in the same branch, so they clearly get some plans. The get the brand, the licences, the knowhow, (the factories ??). As they are not a bling-bling company I don't see them going the mass-market way.

We'll see anyway, I am optimistic.

May 9, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #44,216 of 46,499
Do you think the buyer splashed out cash for a business just to kill it? (Those things happen, when you buy a competitor for their market share/network/knwohow whatnot, but this is clearly not the case.) Sonova is in the same branch, so they clearly get some plans. The get the brand, the licences, the knowhow, (the factories ??). As they are not a bling-bling company I don't see them going the mass-market way.

We'll see anyway, I am optimistic.
What you're saying makes good sense.

May 9, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #44,217 of 46,499
Got a used pair of these on the way as well as a Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+ stack. Will be my first desktop amp and these will also be the best headphones I've ever gotten (got used Sundaras on the way too). Can't wait. Might try the HD650 oratory1990 EQ settings like I did with my T2+ and KSC75X. Need to find a desktop PEQ program first though.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #44,218 of 46,499
Just saw a new post on the measurement site where they measured and compared the HD600 and HD650 and basically said in terms of measurements and listening tests that there was no difference between the two. Seriously! You can't make this up! I hear very large differences between the two when A/Bing on the same equipment. Must all be in my head! SMH! 😏

May 10, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #44,219 of 46,499
Just saw a new post on the measurement site where they measured and compared the HD600 and HD650 and basically said in terms of measurements and listening tests that there was no difference between the two. Seriously! You can't make this up! I hear very large differences between the two when A/Bing on the same equipment. Must all be in my head! SMH! 😏
Very interesting. Link?

May 10, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #44,220 of 46,499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back