Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 3, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #44,176 of 46,499
Been a slow morning at work so I've been comparing my Aeoluses and 58Xs from an iFi Micro BL and despite the somewhat wonky and maybe veiled? sound and worse technical performance of the 58X (with Yaxi pads, I might add), the vocals and lower end have such a thick meatiness to them that they just make the Aeolus sound thin in comparison which is honestly making me wonder where to go next. I've tried EQ'ing the Aeolus a bit but can't seem to be able to achieve the same results.

If I specifically like the punchy bass and thick and warm mids and especially the thick and super present and forward vocals of the 58X, would the HD650 be a solid upgrade if I wanted what the 58X gives me, but just a bit... cleaner, I suppose? I know the 58X has the most bass of the lot, but I'm not opposed to EQ'ing some more lower end in.
If you want punchy and cleaner sound with forward vocals - you may want to look towards the HD600. It is warm enough for me with a tube amp - especially in the mids, which is where either headphone shines.

The HD650 is less punchy, but still more bassy and more warmth, and more... idk "euphoric" sounding? They are very similar, but, the vocals on the 650 are certainly more buried "in the mix" when compared to the HD600 - which really bring forward vocals (in a good way). Out of all of the series, the HD600 is the most punchy of them and the cleanest sounding...

I honestly prefer both the HD600 or 650 over the 58x - so, you can not go wrong with either if you have the proper amplification. (...Not that the 58x is bad at all, it is still my go-to for EQing into bass cannons for electronic music)

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #44,177 of 46,499
If you want punchy and cleaner sound with forward vocals - you may want to look towards the HD600. It is warm enough for me with a tube amp - especially in the mids, which is where either headphone shines.

The HD650 is less punchy, but still more bassy and more warmth, and more... idk "euphoric" sounding? They are very similar, but, the vocals on the 650 are certainly more buried "in the mix" when compared to the HD600 - which really bring forward vocals (in a good way). Out of all of the series, the HD600 is the most punchy of them and the cleanest sounding...

I honestly prefer both the HD600 or 650 over the 58x - so, you can not go wrong with either if you have the proper amplification. (...Not that the 58x is bad at all, it is still my go-to for EQing into bass cannons for electronic music)

Thanks a lot for the response! Sounds like a dang hard decision, haha. I'm a bit afraid the HD600 might be too neutral for me all things considered cause I've definitely gotten used to preferring a lot of warmth even at the cost of detail and cleanliness, but thankfully a nearby store has both the 600 and the 650 (and pretty much every other Sennheiser can for that matter) readily available - I might just do the drastic thing and go buy them both, put them against each other and the 58Xs and return the pair I don't like (or both, if the 58Xs win!).

May 3, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #44,178 of 46,499
Thanks a lot for the response! Sounds like a dang hard decision, haha. I'm a bit afraid the HD600 might be too neutral for me all things considered cause I've definitely gotten used to preferring a lot of warmth even at the cost of detail and cleanliness, but thankfully a nearby store has both the 600 and the 650 (and pretty much every other Sennheiser can for that matter) readily available - I might just do the drastic thing and go buy them both, put them against each other and the 58Xs and return the pair I don't like (or both, if the 58Xs win!).

If you do get the HD-600, make sure you don't do something like Aeolus - HD-600 quickly A/B test. The 600 will sound bright when you quickly A/B. Your ears will have adjusted to the warmness of the Aeolus and pick up a fast change to the 600 as too bright. Which is not at all the case IMHO when evaluated with no ear bias.

Give it time, listen to it on its own, enjoy that perfect, natural tonality, excellent vocals.

May 3, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #44,179 of 46,499
If you do get the HD-600, make sure you don't do something like Aeolus - HD-600 quickly A/B test. The 600 will sound bright when you quickly A/B. Your ears will have adjusted to the warmness of the Aeolus and pick up a fast change to the 600 as too bright. Which is not at all the case IMHO when evaluated with no ear bias.

Give it time, listen to it on its own, enjoy that perfect, natural tonality, excellent vocals.

Yeah, I definitely learned that lesson with the Aeolus! I.e. you gotta give these cans and yourself some time when comparing them. The store I mentioned has a 32 day return window so assuming I'll go through with this clearly mad plan, I'll have PLENTY of time get to know every single pair.

May 3, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #44,180 of 46,499

Audio Technica ATH-R70X is worth a mention in this conversation too, but it won't be quite as magical with vocals as the HD 6XX. In return you get a different take on the bass, fantastic (slightly warm) neutral tonality, high level imaging and amazingly crafted treble.

I should note I've listened to 650s with worn pads, so that may be a factor as bass extension and treble prominence would be diminished compared to fresh ones.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #44,181 of 46,499
Audio Technica ATH-R70X is worth a mention in this conversation too, but it won't be quite as magical with vocals as the HD 6XX.

You're not the first one to mention the Audio Technicas to me! Now I'm doubly intrigued. The aforementioned store has them listed on their site, but unfortunately they're out of stock there and, really, pretty much everywhere else too. I'll have to shoot them an email and ask if they'll ever get more in stock.

May 3, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #44,182 of 46,499
You're not the first one to mention the Audio Technicas to me! Now I'm doubly intrigued. The aforementioned store has them listed on their site, but unfortunately they're out of stock there and, really, pretty much everywhere else too. I'll have to shoot them an email and ask if they'll ever get more in stock.
They're a great option if you want a more diverse headphone, particularly when it comes to imaging and soundstage. In most regions they are regularly available for $250 USD pre-tax when in stock, and at that price they are well worth it. They're more expensive in the States, so it doesn't stack up well against the 6XX for $130 less.

May 3, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #44,183 of 46,499
Try the curtain mod on the 58X. Google it it's easily found and easy to do. Improves the detail and clarity of the 58X a good bit. After trying that if you still want something technically cleaner and more detailed go with the DCA Aeon Flow Xs or RTs. I have the 660s, 6XX, 600s, and 58X and all of the other members of the 600 family are sideways to very slight improvements to the curtain modded 58X. The DCA AFO Xs or RTs will give you a similar sound while being technically superior in every category.

May 4, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #44,188 of 46,499
Have you ever heard about that stuff?

bgd1011.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back