Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #44,161 of 46,499
Better get an amp, a dac and then something different like 660. That is what i would do.
The 660 and 58x have the same driver. Hardly a "different" headphone.

I think the HD650 (6xx) and the HD58x compliment eachother very well - worth while to own both if you like the sennheiser housing.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #44,163 of 46,499
Not the same driver
Really? I stopped paying attention to headphones a few years ago - but I know the early HD58x made in Ireland have the same driver...

Did they change the driver since this video was filmed? If so, bummer.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #44,165 of 46,499
They’re build with similar dimensions but the tuning for the series are different. You could say they share the same platform.
Yeah, that is what I am saying. The HD58x and HD660s both share the exact same driver - simply tuned different.

The same situation for the HD600 and HD650 (6xx) - both have the exact same driver but tuned different.

This is the reason why I think the HD58x and the Hd650 pair well together as complementary - at least they are different drivers.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #44,166 of 46,499
Really? I stopped paying to headphones a few years ago - but I know the early HD58x made in Ireland have the same driver...

Did they change the driver since this video was filmed? If so, bummer.

zeos video is a proof of anything, really?

really???

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #44,167 of 46,499
zeos video is a proof of anything, really?

really???
I mean he took it apart and showed you they are the same driver from a first person perspective... What more do you want?

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #44,168 of 46,499
I want someone with a minimum of credibility. Love zeos and his work and like the man, but I can not trust him, as I said, I watch his videos. That is why I do not trust his criteria.

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #44,169 of 46,499
I want someone with a minimum of credibility. Love zeos and his work and like the man, but I can not trust him, as I said, I watch his videos. That is why I do not trust his criteria.
Yeah, sorry, but I don't know who he is or why he is not credible. Please, fill me in - is he editing or lying in his videos? He comes off as genuine from the few videos I have seen.

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #44,170 of 46,499
Yeah, sorry, but I don't know who he is or why he is not credible. Please, fill me in - is he editing or lying in his videos? He comes off as genuine from the few videos I have seen.
I like Z and find him incredibly entertaining. But his reviews are plagued with factual errors. He doesn't fact check anything. If he worked for an outlet with an editor, he would have been retracted or canned by now.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #44,171 of 46,499
Zeos is credible, the problem is most of this forum is nitpicking for the sake of being able to converse with other audio aficionados and as most male dominated hobbies often amount to a sort of egotistical contest of who can be the most forward expert in the field. Despite the fact Zeos has clearly won they do persist. But I believe he is honest and simply understands there are gobs of good and even great headphones and he can make money recommending them in a clear win-win to the people who think spending $1000s on headphones is anything but insanity as much of this hobby, including me, do, did that offend anyone? Good let it show and remind yourself you will gladly pay thousands but are offended by Zeos being able to find good qualities of many headphones you happen to consider lacking and spending 20 minutes that nobody forces anybody to watch trying to explain them to prospective buyers, the free market speaks. I can plainly see his appeal because although I never liked my 6XX I can see how one particular set of persons would, and to them I do think they should enjoy it and may go so far as to even be genuinely happy for them, but this is a natural trait one cannot learn... Even I hate a good amount of recommendations Zeos makes but that is far cry into the depths that demand one look upon yourself that trashing him goes, he gave his life for the hobby and succeeded and his success is proof that for some measure or tier he is simply better than most of us can hope to be. Sorry.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #44,172 of 46,499
I am a happy HD6XX owner fir over a year now and love them. Was looking for another headphones with more bass to complement them, but they sound so nice that I keep delaying that. Anyhow, my questions are;

- sound will improve with a balance cable in a balanced amp, or it's a placebo effect really??

- what are the most similar fake pads? Not gonna pay for original sennheiser pads every year, sorry, will not happen.

Thanks!!!
Stay far away from Geekria. I bought them, installed them, and removed them within minutes.

May 1, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #44,173 of 46,499
I have had 6xx for about 9 months, and they seemed boring compared to my Sundaras (Schiit Magni/Modi stack). I finally got a Darkvoice (which was the reason for buying the 6xx). What a difference! These headphones came alive with this amp! Could just be confirmation bias, but I really believe the 6xx is performing up to its ability with Darkvoice. Just my 2 cents worth.

May 1, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #44,174 of 46,499
No, the guy I think it is 300% honest to his own true opinion. The thing is that I do not share his own opinion all the time, just like i could not even hear wha he is hearing or have the exact same taste or criteria. he doesnt analyse sound too deep, probalby in part to stay honest and do not BS, which is great and why i watch it. But has no credibility to me soundwise often times. You also can tell when he payed of rosmething, or something was borrowed, or when it is sent by a company... professionalism bro!! welcome to planet earth.

May 3, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #44,175 of 46,499
Been a slow morning at work so I've been comparing my Aeoluses and 58Xs from an iFi Micro BL and despite the somewhat wonky and maybe veiled? sound and worse technical performance of the 58X (with Yaxi pads, I might add), the vocals and lower end have such a thick meatiness to them that they just make the Aeolus sound thin in comparison which is honestly making me wonder where to go next. I've tried EQ'ing the Aeolus a bit but can't seem to be able to achieve the same results.

If I specifically like the punchy bass and thick and warm mids and especially the thick and super present and forward vocals of the 58X, would the HD650 be a solid upgrade if I wanted what the 58X gives me, but just a bit... cleaner, I suppose? I know the 58X has the most bass of the lot, but I'm not opposed to EQ'ing some more lower end in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back